Anyone's child not eat for days while running a fever?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Kellyx2, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Kellyx2

Kellyx2 Well-Known Member

My daughter has had a fever since Wednesday, maybe Tuesday, and hasn't eating ANYTHING since Wednesday at lunch time. It's now Friday night. She does drink though. She has a chest cold in addition to the fever. I took her to the doc last night and her lungs and ears are clear. She gags and vomits up the oral meds so we started giving her Tylenol suppositories. She is totally lethargic and won't move from the couch. She goes in and out of sleeping all day and wimpers constantly when awake. The doc is not concerned with her not eating...as long as she's drinking. If she has not improved by the morning, we have to take her back to the doc. Just wondering if anyone else's kids have done nothing but lay on the couch while running a fever and not eat anything. This seems to have been going on for way too many days and I'm really concerned. :(

Thanks,

2. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

I hope your daughter is feeling better this morning. I'm sorry she is so sick and has to be so misserable. My kids have had just recently had high fevers and didn't eat but I made sure they drank. The longest they have ever gone was one or two days and usually by the second day they are eating by the end of the day.

3. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

:hug: Some viruses are just plain awful. As long as she continues drinking...she'll be fine. If she's drinking and you are worried about her losing calories, you can always give her shakes or something like that. I would worry if she is truly lethargic. Fevers and viruses can do that, but do take her back to that doctor if you are worried!

4. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

The last time Lily was sick she did not eat. The doc looked at her throat and said it was VERY red and irritated. Perhaps this is why yours will not eat. Definitly go back to the doctor if things do not improve greatly. Hope everyone is feeling better soon!

5. mommy1005

mommy1005 Active Member

My DS went throught the exact same thing 2 weeks ago. He ran a fever for 5 days, barely ate anything, laid on the couch the whole time, and whined constantly. The poor guy felt miserable. Turns out he had pneumonia. His fever broke the 5th day and by the 6th day he was doing MUCH better. My pedi said the same thing....he wasn't concerned that he wasn't eating as long as he was drinking, which he was. Hopefully she gets better soon! I know how helpless you feel and seeing your kid sick is really tough!

6. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

"Whenever Lorien has a high fever, she doesn't eat and I have to keep putting a cup in her hand to try and get her to drink and keep her hydrated. It's very scary when it's day 2 and they haven't eaten but they won't starve to death. I will give her anything she is willing to eat at that point. Popcicles, frozen gogurts, icecream, whatever. Funny thing is, as soon as the fever breaks and she is feeling back to normal, I swear to God she totally eats like a maniac and makes up for all the lost calories. Hang in there. I know it's scary. Call you pediatricial if she is not drinking fluids either and she is not peeing at least one diaper a day.

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We have been dealing with this all week too. Have you tried giving her some pediasure or carnation instand breakfast in her milk if she is drinking? Our sitter tried to give the girls some ice cream yesterday because we think their throats hurt. They refused to eat it, but the would eat cold yogurt. As long as she is drinking and making wet diapers she should be fine, but if you are still concerned over the weekend, definitely call the on-call doctor again. :hug: I can't wait for spring.

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Did they test her for strep? That is how my DD was last summer (at 2.5 years old) and she tested positive for strep. I hope she feels better soon. :hug: