Anyone tried Smarty Pant Piggy Platter Placemats

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by 5280babies, Jun 24, 2010.

1. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Okay, I can't swallow spending $90 on a Stokke placemat (well, 2 of them) for my kiddos. There is one called Smarty Pants Piggy Platter - anyone want to share your experience? Those are $29 but look pretty good. Still a lot, but we spent $13 on two kiddopotamus placemats and they pull up the suctions instantly. Keep thinking they will outgrow the stage but having them eat right off of the table is wearing on the table. Need a better solution, and I will stoop to taping on a placemat from the dollar store if I can't find anything better. :laughing:

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I can't swallow spending that either! :laughing: Do you use plates? That's all we do. The placemats ended up on the floor rather quickly. And I agree with the kiddopotamus placemats. As cute as they are...they lost the suction instantly! Good luck on your search!

3. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I couldn't imagine spending that much! But we still use the high chair trays or if they sit at the table we use either the disposable mats or some cheap plastic ones we have. Good luck !

4. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

I never knew they made such a thing, at least not with a name like that :lol: But rather than pay that kind of money for a Piggy Platter, could you just get some of those cheap cutting mats that people use in the kitchen? They seem flat enough that maybe the kids wouldn't try to peel them up and sling them? LOL I have yet to deal with this situation, so I probably don't know exactly how bad it is when toddlers start eating at the table :)

5. 5280babies

Yeah, we practice with plates and bowls at times but they send them flying without warning. Same thing with the placemats I have had so far. The kicker is that after they have done that they start trying to find the food to keep eating, but half of it is on the floor. I thought it was a stage but I am getting tired of it. :headbang:

6. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

my all time favorite solution for our house... I bought a big piece of clear vinyl from the fabric/craft store (Joann's) and wrapped the table in it... I put double stick tape to keep the vinyl on the under side of the table and there are no seams to speak of that they can mess with... I did enough of the rectangular table that they are all on the vinyl and the table (seems to be) is protected. thankfully our table has square edges etc, so this is a solution for us.

wow, like you said times TWO is a lot of money... I don't know if those piggy trays would be totally worth the money or not... maybe?

good luck.

7. 5280babies

It is a good point. Probably as soon as I forked it out they will outgrow using mats all together and be on the plate. I think I will try the vinyl solution and sounds like the table can be more all-purpose for coloring, fingerpainting, etc down the line. Thanks!

8. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I love it! our room is such that we don't have a separate kitchen nook, so we're eating on the $$$ dining room table that I don't want messed up! so its perfect. Their vinyl comes in different thicknesses... probably one of the medium to heavy ones is what you'll want. Make sure you bring a Joann's coupon and measure ahead, can't remember how wide it comes, maybe 60" wide?

good luck! sure beats the $90 mats!