Anyone take their kids to a They Might Be Giants concert?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Snittens, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

They Might Be Giants are doing some children's shows, they will be in our area in November. We're debating whether or not to take the girls. They like listening to the songs, but I'm not sure how a concert will go. Has anyone gone to one of their shows? Is four a good age? The tickets are $25/each, so if it's a bust, that's a bit of money.

2. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Not to just them, but we did take all 3 of ours to the Disney Block Party Last summer that had, Choo-Choo Soul, Ralph's World, They Might be Giants, and I can't remember the other one. They really liked it, the twins were 2.5 years old. But there were also tons of other stuff to do there, so it was not meant to sit and just listen. But we did go to the Wiggles as well last summer and they loved it and sat/stood and danced for that. If your girls like them, I'd say go for it. :good:

3. thetaphi_62

thetaphi_62 Well-Known Member

We haven't taken the boys to anything like that, but my in-laws have taken my nieces at 4 and 6 to the circus and they did really well sitting there the entire time. They have also taken my niece at 3 to see Elmo live, and at 4 or 5 she sat through the Lion King on Broadway. So if they are into it, then I would say go for it. Just to be around all those people will be quite an experience. Let us know how it goes...

4. IdenticalBoysNewMom

IdenticalBoysNewMom Well-Known Member

We love They Might be Giants and if they were in our area, we would for sure go! I agree, pricey, but I would use it as a birthday gift or something!

5. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

The idea sounds awesome and maybe at your girls' age it would be fun... but I know I won't be taking my kids to any structured settings for entertainment anytime soon. They LOVE LOVE LOVE Sesame Street, and one made it through 5 minutes of SSLive, the other lasted barely through the first half. So, I don't think we'd do a concert. Do you have any local no-name concerts in the park that you could try for less than $25 to see if they enjoy the concert atmosphere before you shell out for something like that? Just a thought. If you go, I hope everything goes well and that you have a blast!!

6. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

It would depend on the kid.

Mine are the same age and I have one that would be great and love it. The other did not 'do well' at the circus/theater/kiddy play....she cant handle the 'noise', but loves music. I have not been ready to try to spend that amount of money with our history of not doing well in 'noisy' environments.

I agree w/ PP and see if you can do a cheaper concert/free to see if they enjoy it (our farmers market does free concerts all the time....for us it is hit/miss depending on the crowd size, type of music).

7. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I agree that it depends on what the kids are used to and what you've done before. We've been to a fair amount of concerts with out girls since they were babies, so they do well at sitting and listening. But 25 dollars a piece seems like too much to try it out on. Can you go to something free first?

8. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I'll have to see if there are any free concerts around. Maybe there will be something at the state fair next weekend. Bea does have a tendency to get overwhelmed easily, so there is a possibility of it not working out.