Anyone know the odds of losing one baby after 12 weeks?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by faerieprncs, Feb 20, 2009.

1. faerieprncs

faerieprncs Well-Known Member

I know it seems like a weird question, but like many of you, I always secretly dread the u/s appointments...there's always a teeny tiny part of me that worries that one baby will not have a heartbeat...don't get me wrong, I don't obsess over this, it's just one of those little back of the mind things...

I tried to google what the percentage/odds are of having one baby die in the second trimester and third trimester, but I couldn't seem to find anything outside of vanishing twin syndrome, which is not what I'm trying to find out.

It's more of a curiousity question than a question based in real worry or fear...

2. flygirlcdh

flygirlcdh Well-Known Member

I don't know the odds or anything just wanted to let you know your not alone. I feel baby a kick all the time. I hardly ever feel baby b and when I do, because of the way they are laying (a is head down with feet in my ribs and b is transverse right under my ribs) I don't know if it was a or b. I have an ultrasound next week and I'm on one hand exicted because I'll get to see them again and on the other afraid they'll tell me their is only one heartbeat.

I do think I have heard it is very rare for one to just die without the help of something like growth restriction (I can't remember the abbreviation right now) or TTTS. But I'm not a doctor so don't quote me.

3. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

I had a mc before getting pg with my twins and we found out via u/s, so I always worried about seeing that blank, lifeless u/s screen with my boys. I think it's probably pretty normal to feel that way. A multiple pg is pretty high risk, but the fact that you've made it this far is great! Try not to worry (easier said than done, I know! :) )

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Not sure, but I know the chance drops after 12 weeks. You are far enough along that I wouldn't worry about it so much. :hug:

5. caba

caba Banned

I lost one of my triplets (so now have twins) somwhere in the 11th week, but the doc told us from the get-to that sometimes with triplets especially you will see a later than normal loss ... but that now with the twins I should be safe.

As for feeling them, with my twin pregnancy, I felt baby B ALL THE TIME. Baby A I didn't feel that often. I was always scared of that ... but my doc told me it all had to do with the position of the baby ... no, it doesn't always make you feel better, but it was nice to know there was a reason behind it.

I think it's a normal feeling, just try not to worry about it. I know, I know, easier said than done ... but you are so far along, I really wouldn't worry about it! Try and enjoy it!

6. BabyMoPlusThree

BabyMoPlusThree Well-Known Member

I also worry about this a lot too, especially since I also feel more kicks from one side than from the other.

Of course, I am a worrier. At the big u/s, I was worried about them not finding a baby..... and not only did they find a healthy baby..... they found a bonus healthy baby!

I am definitely going to ask about kick counting with multiples at the next appt- how do I know who is who? One thing that I like is that my OB has twins of her own, so she has personal experience and not just experience with patients with multiples.

7. Kaelan

Kaelan Well-Known Member

i never bothered with the kck count with my singleton, and probably wont with the twins. As long as i feel them move and twitch and kick every day, im not going to freak myself out about somethng i am not going to be able to prevent anyways. Its pretty cramped in there right now and they dont have a whole lot of room. Also, having hit the 3rd trimester has greatly calmed me about losing one.

29W6D mono/di boys

8. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I had this "back of my mind worry" throughout my whole first and some of my second trimester. :hug:

9. doublej's

doublej's Well-Known Member

It's all normal! Time will calm some of those fears.

10. Double Vision

Double Vision Well-Known Member

I personally have the same feelings you do.
    I do the best I can to relax and know that I am doing all I can to stay positive and hope for the best!

11. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

I worried the whole pregnancy. SO badly that in the 3rd trimester my OB did 2X a week NST's . He told me the likelyhood of losing one with this kind of monitor were extremely slim.

However, I found out I was having twins at 11 weeks. I kept saying to the ultrasound tech "Can't I lose one? This can't stick can it?" She said "Honey, you're almost 12 weeks with 2 healthy heartbeats and wiggling babies. YOU ARE HAVING TWINS!" I can't tell you how helpful this was and how many times I replayed that in my mind.

In the end, I had twins at 38 weeks, healthy at OX's. Out of the hospital with my parents and with us to MIL house for Thanksgiving 2 days later. (Home 9 hours later!)

But I have to tell you, the worry never ended till they were born and nursed and everyone told me they were perfectly healthy.