Anyone have experience w/bloody poop

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by weegus, Jan 5, 2014.

1. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

My singleton daughter is 18 months old and has cried going poop for the last 6 months.  She locks up, clenches her cheeks together, and stiffens her legs like she doesn't want it to come out.  I always thought that she just didn't like the sensation of pooping because she has never really had trouble with constipation (no hard pushing, grunting, or hard poop).  She poops about every other day.

For the last two weeks there were noticeable bright red streaks in her poo, a little more each time.  Yesterday, there was blood... an alarming amount.  Blood covered her poo, drops of it were in the toilet, and a lot smeared in between her cheeks (sorry for the mental image and I will save you from the actual photo).  Her reaction to pooping has been consistent and not worsening, though.  ER checked her out and she is clear of anything requiring emergency treatment.  There was no signs of trauma, pollups, hemorrhoids, or fissures during an external and internal rectal exam.  X-ray showed normal stuff going on inside.  Blood work showed that she is not internally bleeding and most likely does not have an infection.  Stool sample showed that there is blood in her poop (duh!).  We were referred to a GI doctor for further investigation who we will see this week.  She is on a daily dose of Miralax and is otherwise a cheerful, normal, healthy girl!

I am trying to reassure myself that it is most likely a tear in her system that will heal with a stool softening routine, but it was a ton of freakin' blood!  Anyone have experience with this or other GI problems with your little one(s)?  Thank you for any thoughts you may have!!

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

My newborn had blood in her stool, and it was a milk protein allergy. Seems unlikely to be your issue as they usually grow out of a milk protein allergy, not into one.

Mod edit to remove duplicate lines.

3. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Interesting.  Maybe an allergy to just milk - is that possible?  She loves cheese and handles it fine, but she has never done a whole lot of milk and yogurt.  She usually drinks about 6-8 oz of milk daily, juice, water, and breast feeds twice.  Earlier this week, she drank a whole sippy and a half of milk... approx 15 oz, which is a lot for her, maybe even the most since starting on milk.  I will ask about that... thank you for the idea!

4. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Could it just be super hard stools?  Maybe up her Miralax by half a dose?  

5. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

I am guessing here but milk sounds like something to look into.  I do know (from investigation which i did because of DS acid reflux) that milk is much harder to digest than yogart of cheese.

From my days at the vet clinic, i can tell you that if you saw (and recognized it as) blood it came from the lower digestive tract.  Blood from higher up is dark, almost black in color because it has passed through the digestive tract.

I hope you get some good answers soon.

6. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My daughter has been going through this, scaring her dad when she was dripping blood.  She also was fairly regular with pooping and it didn't seem all that hard... but that was the problem, she was having little fissure tears as the poop was coming out.  The Miralax has helped a lot! 

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I second this.  Our doctor called it a traumatic bowel movement, leaving the little tears.  Miralax or a stool softener was recommended.  Keep us posted!

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

One of my girls had this. After a regimen of miralax (a couple weeks), the tear healed and the blood stopped. Bright red blood is usually from a tear or something else close to the rectum. Dark blood (almost black) is internal blood and more concerning. Hugs to your little one. In order to keep my daughter "on track" after stopping miralax we make sure she sits on the potty after every meal and give her a tsp of ground flax seed (mixed in food) every day.

9. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Thank you for your responses - you have really eased my mind!!!  After only 2 days on Miralax, she had a poop with little crying and no blood this morning.  Seems like she may have had a traumatic bowel movement (I like that term... definitely traumatic for her and quite traumatic for me as well ;)).  Our appointment with the GI doctor is Friday so I will follow up with him  I will keep you posted after her appointment.  I very much appreciate you sharing your poo stories with me!!

2 people like this.
  10. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Any update?

11. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Yes!  They are going to treat her for just a tear and wait it out instead of doing any invasive tests.  No bleeding after over a week of Miralax, though she still likes to be hugged while pooping (don't we all :lol: ).  I am thankful the doctor did not put her through any unnecessary tests!

1 person likes this.
  12. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

One of my boys was about 1 and had a fissure which caused a streak of blood as it was small. He is fine now but we did Miralax... His twin is now on it long term as during potty training he became constipated.

Fyi- at Sams and Costco you can get a 3 pack of bottles for about $8. Apiece.