Anyone have a baby who can't self-soothe?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Beth*J, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Does anyone else have a baby who doesn't self soothe? Annelise puts her two fingers in her mouth and hugs a burp cloth and she's as happy as a clam. Karina cannot soothe herself. She does o.k. if she has a paci, but if it falls out, she falls to pieces. She is starting to be able to insert the paci herself, but she doesn't try if she is already upset. The doctor told me I can't let her CIO until she is mature enough to be able to burp herself. We may go crazy before we get to that point. I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has a baby who developed self-soothing skills later than other babies.

2. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

Mine are almost 5 months and can't self soothe that well- they mostly rely on their pacis. Unfortunately. They do suck on their fingers, but when going to sleep they really rely on the pacis.

3. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Bad news bear...I have a 23 monther who was also a paci baby and took for-ev-er to learn to self soothe. It does come in time though. :hug99:

4. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

The boys aren't good with self soothing when going to sleep or when they wake up and need to get back to sleep. I get up about once an hour at this point and replug ...it is driving me crazy. They did great when they started to STTN but that went down hill. If they are awake and hanging out, they don't typically have a paci, just here and there. They will suck and chew on their fingers and they have the little blankets that have the little animal head on them and they cuddle with those. We need to CIO I guess b/c I can't deal much longer lol.

Dianna

5. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

~5 mo adjusted age was when my babies just STARTED being able to self-soothe. DD picked it up pretty readily, but DS took a lot longer. He just wasn't ready as early as she was.

It's a major PITA, but try to just give her time. You'll know if she's just not ready yet - if the crying is just escalating... It is OK for her to still need some help falling asleep. Maybe in a month of two she'll be ready for it.

Btw, I never heard the thing about self-burping as a standard for CIO. CIO worked for my babies long before they stopped needing us to burp them.

6. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

Nathan is my one child that can not self soothe. Natalie has always been good about soothing herself or putting her own paci in but Nathan, on the other hand, will scream forever until I give him his paci or pick him up and hold him. I am working now to try to break him of this and it is very hard.

7. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

QUOTE(fuchsiagroan @ Aug 14 2008, 09:11 PM) [snapback]931055[/snapback]
    Btw, I never heard the thing about self-burping as a standard for CIO. CIO worked for my babies long before they stopped needing us to burp them.

I wonder if he said this because of her reflux. I'm not sure. The nurse told me this on the phone, so I haven't asked him personally yet. I plan to talk with him at the next appointment.