anyone had a LEEP done before being pregnant?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by heathadav, May 5, 2007.

1. heathadav

heathadav Member

Hi everyone. I am knew to this forum and am finding it so comforting to read everyone else's experiences. Right now I am just about 15 weeks pregnant with twins and am feeling enormously stressed about all of the potential complications that a twin pregnancy can bring. I am a worrier by nature which doesn't help. I am just wondering if anyone else has ever had a LEEP procedure done. It's a cervical surgery performed to remove cancerous cells. I know that it puts me at a higher risk for cervical incompetence. THis would be the case even if I were carrying one baby . . .but TWO!!! It scares me, and I would love to hear about another person's experience with carrying twins after undergoing this surgery. Also, how early did you all experience Braxton Hicks? I periodically feel my abdomen get hard and tight and I am constantly worried that I'm having contractions. Thanks for listening :)
    Heather

2. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

I didn't have a LEEP, but I did have a "cone biopsy" -- similar I think (for definitely similar issues :hug99: ). I had no problems, carried to 38 weeks when I had a planned c-section (baby A was breech). If there is any sense that your cervix can't hold they can give you a "cerclage" (stitch it closed).

Best wishes!

3. stbmo4

stbmo4 Well-Known Member

I have also had cone biopsy and cervical "freezing" (I don't know, but I think this is similar to LEEP) to remove cancerous cells. My first two pregnancies were fine; carried DS 38.5wks and DD 37.5wks. My doc (not the same OB who had previously done the freezing) did say after my first cervix check with DS that he felt scar tissue on my cervix and that it could effect the rate at which I dialated. It didn't have any effect; but you might want to double check with you OB; scar tissue on your cervix could make dialation more difficult rather than making your cervix weaker.

Oh, and welcome! You will find lots of good info here!

Jen

4. heathadav

heathadav Member

Thank you both for your replies!!! Yes, a cone biopsy is very similar to a LEEP. I am so happy to hear that you both made it so far in your pregnancies . . .that gives me some hope :). The doc has checked my cervical measurement and so far so good. I just worried about what would happen as I got bigger. I have heard lots about singleton pregnancies after the surgery but not about carrying twins . . .so thanks :)

5. java jennie

java jennie Member

I had a LEEP in 2000. I was warned that I may need a cerclage, but so far so good. My cervix measured 5.1 cm, up from 3.4 believe it or not. But it was after three days in bed in the hospital, worried that I would need a cerclage.....
    I'm 20 weeks now and am also worried. I started to have BH at 17 weeks, which is part of why I went to the hospital....spotting and cramping.
    Jennie

6. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I had a LEEP done about a year before getting pregnant. I carried my girls to 31.6 weeks....but thier early arrival was NOT due to IC!! I did get put on bedrest at 21 weeks for PTL and cervical changes....but my dr felt I could have gotten past 34 weeks if one of the babies had not gone into distress!

I did not get a cerclage, but it was discussed with me.

Enjoy your pregnancy!!

KC

7. andiemc

andiemc Well-Known Member

I had the LEEP procedure done in 99. I carried my little guy full term with NO cervical problems and actually forgot about it with this pregnancy but I am 30 weeks without any cervical shortening or changes. Good luck!

8. 3goodkitties

3goodkitties Member

I had a LEEP in 2003. I am 35.5 weeks pg and have and no problems at all with PTL. MY OB says my cervix is meant for having babies, emaning that there as been very little change. Good luck, try not to worry to much.

9. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I did not have a LEEP, but had surgery to resect a uterine septum and ended up having incompetent cervix very early on in my twin pregnancy (emergency cerclage at 16 weeks with no cervix left). Make sure you are regularly getting your cervix length measured via transvaginal U/S, it's important to do right now to catch anything that may happen.

Hopefully you will have absolutely no issue at all, but it is always good to be too watched than not watched enough!

10. pdxpeach

pdxpeach Well-Known Member

I haven't, but a good friend of mine has, and now has a beautiful little 5 year old daughter.

11. Mrs.Bears

Mrs.Bears Active Member

I have not had a Leep but I do have IC I had a cerclage placed at 14 weeks. Are they watching your cervix length? Have they discussed a cerclage?