anyone familiar with laryngeal malaysia (soft/immature Larynx)

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by seamusnicholas, Nov 21, 2006.

1. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

My son has to go see an ENT on Tuesday to determine why he breaths so loudly. It began when he was about 7 weeks (right around when he was diagnosed with acid reflux). I was told that the loud breathing was just part of the reflux.

To make a long story short, I made an app to see my ped today and he agrees that the breathing is extrememly bothersome and I need to have a test done to determine if it is this larynx problem which is not serious and babies outgrow by the time they are 18 months. Or it could be serious like a vocal chord issue or something external that is hitting the larynx.

So my question is for anyone who has had a child with this same issue. Can you tell me a little about it. Thanks

2. seamusnicholas

My son has to go see an ENT on Tuesday to determine why he breaths so loudly. It began when he was about 7 weeks (right around when he was diagnosed with acid reflux). I was told that the loud breathing was just part of the reflux.

To make a long story short, I made an app to see my ped today and he agrees that the breathing is extrememly bothersome and I need to have a test done to determine if it is this larynx problem which is not serious and babies outgrow by the time they are 18 months. Or it could be serious like a vocal chord issue or something external that is hitting the larynx.

So my question is for anyone who has had a child with this same issue. Can you tell me a little about it. Thanks

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

Josh, #3, had a mild form of this. When he would drink his bottles, he would suck, and then breathe in, and it would make a honking, squeaking kind of noise. They said that it was an immature larynx. he did eventually grow out of it, I don't remember when. Hope this helps. Does he do it all of the time, or only during bottles?

4. seamusnicholas

he actually breaths like that almost all the time. It is loud enough where people will coment when we are out and they think it is cute that he is snoring so loud! (that is what it kind of sounds like)

5. megginmj

megginmj Well-Known Member

My little Evan was diagnosed with this condition at birth - he used to breathe very loudly all the time and his cry was so quiet that it didn't wake me up if I was asleep. We were told that in most babies it goes away on its own by around 4 months - his disappeared by 2 months.

The thing we were told to watch for was that his breathing wasn't too laboured while eating - and to give him a break if it was. We were also told to prop him slightly on his side when he slept - it seemed to help his breathing a lot
    - we just propped him up a bit with a rolled-up receiving blanket.

He's now 6 1/2 months and just as vocal as his brother - you'd never know he had any problem at all.

6. party*of*five

party*of*five Well-Known Member

my little girl had this and it was very loud..people would comment when we were in public places..hers started right around 7 weeks also when reflux was diagnosed. about a month ago it just stopped[​IMG] can't tell you exactly when..it was getting better and better and now she is a quiet baby [​IMG] LOL if you have any questions please pm me..i was super worried when i was in your stage of it and it really is nothing to worry about..