Anyone ever use escape proof pjs?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Double Vision, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Double Vision

Double Vision Well-Known Member

Found escape proof pj's on a google search. Has anyone tried them?
    Our girls have been in crib tents since 10 months. Baby A is strong willed and can get out of pjs, diapers, and has worked her way out of the tent by tearing a hole in it with her teeth.

I have been doing footed pj's, wrong side out, and backwards zipped, then we put a T-shirt on backwards to help exaust her effortsas she starts her houdini act. Along with a backwards diaper....she can stretch the arms out and get out of the pjs. Then she pulls the diaper until it tears and gets it off. Well of course she pees and poops in the bed. We are SO OVER IT!

When the tent is left open she gets out and plays all night and takes all the drawers out of the dresser and takes out all of the clothes. We have caught her standing on top of the dress a few times. I am just at a loss with what to do. Saftey is my main concern, especially when I am asleep. The gross factor of the pee and poop is also making me crazy.

Suggestions? I am open for anything!

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have to duct tape the diapers all the way around for S.

What about onesies for her to wear? They're usually a tighter fit. OR- leotards?

She really IS a strong willed little girl. I'm impressed.

3. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I usually put a onesie on them or buy the footless PJS and put them on them backwards.

4. Double Vision

Never thought about the onesies. I wonder if she could pull them off. She is the most strong willed child I have seen. I am a teacher so I see a lot. I am AMAZED by what she can do.

I will try it this weekend and report back.

5. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Just as a point of caution, my boys figured out onesies too...they took them off arms first and pushed them down. I never googled what you did though, LOL. I'm curious to see what pops up. Fortunately potty training a few months later cured them of the habit. But for a while there, I was scrubbing everything in sight. We did use a backward, inside out sleep sack for a while. Do you have any that you could at least try it with? There was something about it not having legs that helped discourage them.

BTW, I chose just to go to a bed with my guys because I just knew they would figure out the crib tent. That's when we took everything out of their room and gated them in, with just there bed. Later we moved some toys back in. I still haven't attempted a dresser, but that's more due to room.

I truly hope you find something that works!!!

6. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

No problem with onesies on mine, they were getting out of them before 2 :(

For the backwards PJs... did you use the ones from TCP that have a little tab to hide the zipper? My son never managed to get out of those. They fit snugly too, so it helps a lot, compared to Carter's PJs.

I don't know how old she is, but I'd definitely put her in a toddler bed. The crib was out as soon as they climbed out here... no taking any risk. And empty everything in the room too. Maybe the novelty will distract her from stripping for a while...

7. Double Vision

Thanks!

Fran the thought of big girl beds FREAKS me out! What in the world will they be up to in there. What if they are up all night, how do you keep them from wandering around the house?

Their beds do turn into toddler beds, she would definitely have more to get into instead of her diaper.

8. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We always kept their door closed, so for us it was easy, we just close the door so they can't wander at night (we have door knobs inside). But yes definitely a big worry considering the stairs are right out of their door. Some people put baby gates in the doorway too.

9. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Gate/s in the doorway and remove as much as you can. It was seriously my only alternative.

10. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Gates in the doorway and everything removed here too. Closet locks, windows taped shut (there's a window seat so they have access), no curtains. Not even beds; we have laminate in their room and their first order of business was to push their beds all around the room. So for about 2 months they slept on mattresses on the floor in sleep sacks and a gate in their door. Once they started doing head dives over the gate we found the heaviest beds we could find, put a rug with a rubber backing underneath them and lock them in for the night! They still manage to cause trouble, but it's getting better.

11. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

We use appliance locks on the dresser drawers to keep them out. Closet locked, all toys but a lovey or two out of the room. Door shut with a childproof knob cover. They play for about an hour when we put them down and then fall asleep. They eventually grew out of the stripping phase.

12. kristinpa

kristinpa Well-Known Member

We used the escape proof pjs for a few months and they worked for us...it must have been a phase because we were able to switch her back to her regular pajamas a month ago and she has been good about leaving them on...