Anyone else's child still use a light/night light?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by MarchI, Sep 30, 2011.

1. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Aaron sleeps with his overhead light on. we've tried to transition to a bedside lamp but within a few days, he gets up in the middle of the night and turns the overhead light on. He sleeps just fine, no waking, sleeps until 7/730 etc but I worry about his needing a light for when he goes to sleep overs. Has anyone dealt with this? Any advice?

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm interested in this. A&R both have wall lights (ikea) that they use overnight. If I try to turn off the lights in the middle of the night, they wake up.

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Both the twins (6 years old) have a green glow night light in the plug in/wall. I cannot imagine sleeping with the overhead light on.

4. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We use a blue light and it's pretty bright but it has like a black light effect on everything. The girls still share a room. They will not go to sleep with it off

5. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Timothy sleeps with his closet light on and the closet door wide open. He also has assorted nightlights.

It hasn't been a problem when he sleeps anywhere else. He tends to sleep like a log anyway. Once he's out, he's totally out. Even when we've been places where his only option is a tiny nightlight in the wall, he's good with that.

Marissa

6. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

My two both sleep with their ceiling light set on the lightest setting of dim. I've tried to break the habit but they get up and turn it on... I never even thought about sleepovers. :unsure:

7. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I've seen your light and IMO, it's not any brighter than the nightlight my girls have in their room, so I'd bet they are fine.

We had this discussion recently in our playgroup and there were more that used nightlights than not. My girls still use one and I'll encourage it for a while, for safety reasons. :good:

If we sleep somewhere and we don't bring a nightlight, I just prop the door open a bit so they have a bit of light shining. EX: When we go to hotels, we leave the bathroom light on, and prop the door a crack.

8. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls usually got to sleep with their overhead light on. They get mad at me if i try to dim it. I do turn it off when i go to bed, but about 1/2 the time i find it back on in the morning.

9. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Glad I am not alone. I asked because the twins are now asking for a dim light on and I worry it is genetic and that my house will be brightly lit for the next 10 years. I am going to try and transition him to a bedside lamp again but will wait a bit because he is still adjusting to school.

10. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I have a string of Christmas tree lights wrapped around the boys shelving unit that acts as a night lite and the boys love it. It's not too bright and neat to look at. :)

11. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All 3 of my kids have a night light in their room, heck I have night light in my room. My oldest DD has never said anything about needing a night light when she goes to sleepovers. It's never been an issue, at least she has never said anything about it.