anyone else having carpal tunnel issues?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kuchar, Nov 29, 2006.

1. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

Throughout the day my right hand and arm go numb, and at night I often wake to the feeling my hand is on fire. The doctor said it is probably carpal tunnel syndrome and it is a normal part of pregnancy. Is anyone else having problems with this? Have you bought one of those wrist braces, and if you did... did it help at all? I haven't found any position to sleep with it that stops the pain. The only relief I find is if I get up and walk around, shake it out.
    Thanks for any advice you have,
    Helen

2. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

Throughout the day my right hand and arm go numb, and at night I often wake to the feeling my hand is on fire. The doctor said it is probably carpal tunnel syndrome and it is a normal part of pregnancy. Is anyone else having problems with this? Have you bought one of those wrist braces, and if you did... did it help at all? I haven't found any position to sleep with it that stops the pain. The only relief I find is if I get up and walk around, shake it out.
    Thanks for any advice you have,
    Helen

3. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

My DH is a computer engineer with carpal tunnel and he diagnosed me last night. My left elbow and hand felt as if the joints were all swollen and my left hand had a fiery patch that tingled and burned. I have read it will go away after pg but you have to watch it because you can cause permanent damage. Probably less posting on twinstuff for me and you! Someone said they sell hard wrist braces for sleeping that are supposed to help...my mom had a serious case of it because she was a seamstress and she had to wear hard braces up to her elbow every night to sleep. DH said take ibuprofen and I'm like "yeah, wish I could...the only thing that would probably help and it causes birth defects!"

4. Rockmama

Rockmama Member

Yep, I've got it, too. It seems like I'm cutting off the blood supply to my arm when I sleep on my side especially as I get bigger. Then I wake up with my finger joints aching and difficult to move. If you can't sleep on your back, stomach or sides, waddaya do?? suspend from the ceiling?

Michele

5. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

Yep. I brought them up with my doc and she basically said she could write me an Rx to get fitted for wrist splint things to wear, otherwise I could buy a brace or wrap it in an ACE bandage at night. It's terrible, isn't it??? And I don't know if this is the same for everyone but when I wake up with my right hand to my elbow on fire, the only thing that gets rid of it is getting up and walking around, which then gets you more awake ... yuk. I might try the brace/Ace thing .. i heard icing your arm by the elbow helps too. The doc asked if it was just in my hands and wrists, I said my right hand would hurt up to my elbow and then she told me it might be something in my neck, not carpal tunnel syndrome??? Huh, I read online that it is caused by inflammation of that nerve (can't remember the name) that goes from your elbow to your fingers and can hurt all along that route, especially when you are pregnant because you have extra fluid (swelling) around that nerve which causes it ... sad when you can do your own research and figure out more than your doc.

6. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by Rockmama:
    If you can't sleep on your back, stomach or sides, waddaya do?? suspend from the ceiling?

Michele

I was thinking that same thing last night!!! [​IMG] No sleeping on the back (cuts down blood flow), no sleeping on the belly (obvious reasons), and now the sleeping on my sides has become a problem! I guess I'll have to give in and try the brace for my wrist.
    Thanks again,
    Helen

7. kimber074

kimber074 Well-Known Member

the braces do help, I had to wear them while driving and sleeping with my last pregnancy. The doctor gave me a pair in his office and said those were better than the otc ones.