Anyone else have 'large' babies?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by DannyT, Jul 2, 2012.

1. DannyT

DannyT Well-Known Member

So I am 28 weeks and change. On friday my MFS did our regular U/S and he made some comments about how 'large' for their age my twins are. Their GS age on friday was 28 - 1 day and they were both at 2lbs 13oz. (which he says is usually well over 29 weeks in size, closer to 30) On a side note they have been measuring about a week ahead since our first U/S which we had quite a few in the beginning due to fertility.

Today I had my gestational diabetes test and my regular OB made a comment at how she couldn't believe how big the babies were and she suspected I may have GD even though I've really shown no other symptoms. My family has a history of large babies...my sister was 12 lbs at full term, I was 8 lbs 9 oz at 37 1/2 weeks. Both of my sister's kids were > 9lbs and she had both prior to 39 weeks.

I may get my results tomorrow but likely thursday as the office closes at noon tomorrow and i doubt labwork comes back early....I'm just curious. I guess I should be elated they are big but the thought of how uncomfortable I am now vs. how much bigger I will get before 38 weeks is daunting - can you really have 2 9lb babies in one belly!!!

2. efaith

efaith Well-Known Member

I find this interesting, my babies were exactly that size at 28 weeks and they are considered average for their age. On their growth charts they lie on the 50 percent line.

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My babies were measuring ahead for most of the pregnancy. They were born 7.2 (my girl) and 6.4 (my boy) at 36wks 2 days. In comparison, my oldest son was 5lbs 13oz at 36 wks. My twins were bigger than him. And my oldest dd was 9lbs 13oz at 39 wks. Apparently I make big babies! ;) And I passed my GD tests (2 tests per pregnancy). They even tested my older dd's blood every hour for the first 5 hrs to make sure she didn't have high sugar levels!

4. SuzyHolland

SuzyHolland Well-Known Member

my boys were born at 39+1 weeks and weighd about 7,5 & 7,7 lb US
    vag birth and no pain meds
    It can be done!

5. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I've never had GD and my first son was 10-10. My second was taken earlier (trying to avoid the issues we had with the first) and was 9-9. The twins were 33 weekers and were 5 lbs and 4-10, not too bad for their gestation.

6. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Some people just have bigger babies. My first was 9.5 lbs, no GD. My girls came at 37 wks, 1 day, and were 6,9 and 6,13--they'd've been closer to 8 lbs or a little over at 40 weeks. The US tech told me that because I'm short I'd have small babies, but I already knew that wasn't true from my first two. The dr pulled baby A out and said, "Oh, she's big!" So long as you have no health problems, I wouldn't worry at all. :)

7. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

My two measured large right up until 32 or 33 weeks. Then it started getting a little crowded and they ended up average size. I wouldn't worry too much about GD without other symptoms/signs.

Oh and my 2 were each at least 1 pound smaller than their older sister - so while the end of the pregnancy is gong to be uncomfortable, it may not be as bad as you fear.

8. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My girls were a few ounces shy of 6 lbs each at 35 weeks when I had them. I contribute that to the fact that my husband was a 10 lb baby when he was born and I was a 9 pounder. My son was only 7 lbs at 42 weeks, so the girls would have definitely been much larger than him had I went full term. I never had any issues with anything concerning sugar...as a matter of fact, I was told my babies were only 3 lbs a piece a week before I had them...so they were definitely off!

9. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I was told during my pregnancy that my boys were measuring the same as singletons, so I guess a little bit bigger than the average twins? Their growth did slow down in the last couple weeks, I don't think they gained any weight at all. They were born at 40 weeks and were 6 & 6 1/2 pounds.

10. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

I think it depends a lot on the mom. I had my girls at 36 weeks and they were only 4.8 and 5.0 lbs. My older daughter was full term and was 5.2 (although we think I had a secondary placental lobe). My goal for my next pregnancy is to have a baby bigger than 6 lbs!! On the other hand, my mom is a very petite person and she had an 8+ lbs baby. It's just one of those things, in my very unmedical opinion, lol.

11. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

Mine were 8,4 and 6,9 induced @ 37.5 due to the growing size discrepancy. They were measuring good sizes all along but baby B got a bit crowded out during the end. He is now chunkier than his brother! Carrying the extra weight is a lot, especially near the end, but it is also great to have big juicy babies. Good luck!

12. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My doctor never really told me how much they weighed... I think they figured there is no way to be 100% accurate so they didn't say anything. I had them at 38 weeks gestation and they weighed approximately 7.5 lbs each. Glad you had a great appt.

13. DannyT

DannyT Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input guys, sometimes unreasonable fears creep into your head!!!

Glad to hear so many babies that stayed in so long :) Our local multiples group has so many early babies (24-32 weeks) it's kind of scary!

Also glad to hear of some good natural/vaginal births. I'm really hoping for one!

14. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

First, I do not believe u/s measurements for weight. THey are notoriously off. 2nd, I make big babies. No GD or anything like that. Just big babies. My twins were 7lbs at 37 weeks (not particularly big) but my 40 weekers singletons were 10lbs13oz and 10lbs4oz.

15. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All of my babies were large. My first was 7 lbs 11 oz delivered at 37 weeks. The next 2 were full term & both well over 9 lbs. The twins were 7 lbs 13 oz and 7 lbs 9 oz, delivered at 38 weeks. No gestational diabetes & all delivered vaginally with no or relatively minor problems. I even delivered my 7 lb 13 oz baby b breech with no problems.

Good luck to you!!

16. fruitofthewomb

fruitofthewomb Active Member

I just found on Thursday at 30 weeks and 6 days that one baby is 4 lbs, 2 ounces already and her sister is 3 lbs 14 ounces. I've wondered how big they will be too. But, I usually try to pick up the calories and fat after 28 weeks so that they will put on good weight. I've had 3 children over 9 lbs so far.

17. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to find out tomorrow that I have bigger babies....I want them to have really good weight early, that way if labor does come early, they will be better off.