anyone else have kids that faint?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by AimeeThomp, May 21, 2014.

1. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When the girls were 2, someone had a cut foot, can't remember who - and when Lily saw it she lost all color and fell on the floor, nearly fainting. We took her to the emergency room because we didn't know what caused it, and she was fine.

Yesterday I get a call from the school that Amelia passed out so I raced up there. When I got there, the girls were in the nurses office along with their best little school friend whose finger was all wrapped up. When I asked what happened I was told they were all in the gym for the talent show (which is not air conditioned and this is South Louisiana), when their friend picked a scab off his finger, and it started bleeding quite a bit. He was sitting next to Amelia, and she passed out. When Lily saw this from where she was sitting in the gym, she freaked out. Amelia was sitting on the bleachers and just slunk down to the ground and then regained consciousness.

When I asked her what happened she said when her friend walked by her and she saw the blood, she felt funny and that's when she passed out.

She was fine the rest of the day. But it appears I had two girls who faint at the site of a lot of blood. I hope this stops by the time they reach puberty!

Anyone else?

2. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I am sorry about your girls' issues with blood, but you made me LOL with the puberty thing :). I hope it's nothing serious.

I was really horrible about blood as a child also, but I never fainted. When I was in first grade a boy fell and hurt his eyebrow area and it was bleeding a lot - I got out of the classroom and I refused to go back in - I was really scared to see so much blood. Needless to say I was OK at puberty :), so I grew out of it, but I never showed any interest in the medical field as a profession, the sight of blood still  makes me cringe and I know it's childish - but I can't help it.

3. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

a lot of people hate the sight of blood - I had friends in nursing school that got queasy - so needless to say she'll never be an OR nurse but it may lessen with time.  good luck!

4. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I've fainted a number of times, but mostly when I was sick or in serious pain.  But once when I was learning how to help pack a wound for my mom (after surgery, it didn't quite heal right), I was standing there watching one minute, and the next a soldier (field medic-in training, who was in the room with us in the army hospital) caught me on the way down.  I don't remember being particularly bothered by it except the smell was kind of nasty.  But from then on, I couldn't even be in the room when she was having it changed (my brother had to learn, because I couldn't do it), without getting nauseated and light headed.  I've never had that problem before or since, just with that one situation.  So maybe they'll grow out of it???

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've fainted several times as a child and adult.  At least one of the times was over blood.  I found that I seem to faint when I am under a lot of stress.  The last time I fainted, it was two weeks after my Dad died.    Another time I just randomly passed out in the hairdresser's chair.  Hopefully the girls will grow out of it!