Anyone else count down the hours until bedtime?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by sbcowell, Jul 15, 2008.

1. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that watches the clock during the day and counts down the hours until the babies go to bed? That is the only time I get to truly relax and wind down, and on bad days I watch the clock like every 1/2 an hour wishing for 6pm to get there quicker!

2. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

i do too :blush:

3. caryanne07

caryanne07 Well-Known Member

Yep...always doing the countdown in my head. I feel a bit guilty about it but oh well...

4. twins225

twins225 Well-Known Member

mine are 3.5 now and i still look forward to bedtime...or when dad gets home, b/c that's the only break i get :)

5. pigsocks

pigsocks Well-Known Member

Me too

6. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

7pm can not come soon enough on some days! Yes, I definitely county down to bedtime, especially when DH is gone and I am home with them all by myself. You are not alone!

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I think we all have those days. Yesterday was one of those days for me since the girls refused to nap in the afternoon. It was a very LONG day!

8. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Half of the time I do this.

When I find myself doing this (which is too often), I remember what I read in the "Baby Whisperer" and for some reason.. it really really really helps me.

Granted, I was half dead, in tears and running on fumes when I read it. The babies were like 2 weeks old.. but it said something like this... "if you're having trouble dealing with them crying, fussing, whining, needing things.. etc.. etc.. YOU need to work on ACCEPTANCE. You need to work on acceptance because this is your life now."

When I find myself NOT enjoying my time with the babies I say this to myself and it is crazy, but it helps me.

It reminds me that THIS IS MY LIFE NOW!! What the!?

And then I also remind myself that there are sooooo many things in my life that I look back on and think "Why didn't I enjoy that more?? It was GREAT!"

And I realize that I am doing the same thing with these babies.. I am just biding my time.. to get to tomorrow. And then I think "OMG! It's happening again! I'm going to regret not LOVING every moment."

And that helps me too.

I am alone with these two ALL DAY AND ALL NITE except Saturday and Sunday until 3 pm. It gets HAIRY and hard and I find myself wanting to run out the front door very often but thinking of the things above helps me to accept it and to even enjoy it because I know that I will regret it if I don't.

Sorry to go off on a tangent there but yesterday was REALLY REALLY bad over here. Really bad.. like NEWBORN phase bad and I found myself thinking "Why ME?"

I'm writing this out for myself and for anyone who is where I have been lately. It's a LOT of work and it's not easy but if I don't enjoy it now.. I never will because I will never get even one second of this time back.. EVER.

Isis- Good luck and I'm right there with you :) How's it going over there now??

9. lisaessman@verizon.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I count down until I can go to bed! :D

10. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I do too sometimes. I think it's pretty normal :friends: .

11. 2Xthelove

2Xthelove Well-Known Member

i start usually around 3 when DH gets home :laughing: because by then i am wiped out.

IVF bound i never read the book but thanks for the tips. when i get tired and frustrated what i do is i sit back and just watch them and see all the good things there are to them and think of how much i love them and i feel soo much better.

12. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

EVERY NIGHT!! I love being with my kids but they are exhausting and I need some down time to rejuvenate for the next day. :)

13. jkendall

jkendall Well-Known Member

I do this sometimes too...especially when they didn't sleep much the night before (so I am really exhausted)

14. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, I don't eat dinner until they go to bed. Even if they have a late nap and staying up a bit later, I just don't want to have dinner til they are in bed. Once they are in bed I finish all other chores I may have (dishes or laundry or whatever) and then I have my dinner and just relax. And sometimes drink a rum and diet coke. lol.

15. jec34e

jec34e Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm constantly watching the clock and living by when the next feeding is and hoping they will nap or go to sleep so that I can get a break. I feel bad about it, like I should be wanting them to be awake to spend time with me.

16. kats

kats Member

When I hang up my pjs (okay, more like fling 'em in the corner) in the morning - I think to myself I cannot wait until I am putting them back on after the 10.30pm dreamfeed. I am wishing my life away! Ours are 4 months tomorrow.

17. idtwinstx

idtwinstx Well-Known Member

Pretty much every day ;)

18. hilly

hilly Well-Known Member

I did it ALOT when the girls were infants, now the days go a little faster but I still have the days when I just say to myself... just 3 more hours and I'm free :lol:

19. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

:hug99: for having a bad day. I do that some times, and I know exactly what you mean.

20. nadana77

nadana77 Well-Known Member

I do it sometimes too! Also, on some days I watch the clock for naptime :)

21. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, I do just about everyday. Not that I don't enjoy my twinkies but they are tiring! I look forward to taking a rest, having some computer time, reading, breathing, etc.

22. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

I catch myself doing it on the weekends when I'm with them all day. They are wearing us out now. Not from bad things like when they were tiny - now they just want entertainment (or food) all the time. During the week it's opposite. I'm tired then too but I hate putting them to bed so early :(

23. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

On the weekends...yes! I am worn out from spending the whole day with them. On the week days I get a litte sad because I get home at 5:30 and they go to bed at 7:30 but they are usually no fun after 7 so that gives me an hour and half of quality time with them for the whole day! I tried keeping them up a little later for selfish reasons but like I said by 7 they are winding down and getting cranky so it is not worth it.

24. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

If we are home yes...counting down, now when out I wish at times they didn't have the bed time. They just went in the past few days from 9pm to 7pm, so a huge difference when out and needing to get home. Guess it will take some getting use to.

Dianna

25. Erica92

Erica92 Well-Known Member

you're most DEF NOT alone!

26. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

Yes, pretty much everyday.

27. carliegil

carliegil Well-Known Member

Especially on a bad day. I either count the minutes to bed time or until DH gets home to help.

28. maurahursh

maurahursh Well-Known Member

On the weekends I do! During the week I only get two hours before it is bedtime.