Anybody else going stircrazy? And what does your house REALLY look like?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by babyhopes09, Jan 18, 2011.

1. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

My babies are 9 months and I'm going CRAZY staying inside! We live in Indiana and it actually hit the high 30's today and I tried to take them for a walk and then I realized it was pouring rain! I have them blocked into their playroom most of the day because I truly can't keep up with them outside the room very often! So, I try to invent new things to do with them in the room... I'm 10 weeks pg. and am completely DRAGGING! I keep thinking we should go to the library or grocery store or something, but I just can't seem to pull together the strength to do it right now.. which is funny because we used to go all over the place when they were under 6 months! What are you all doing to entertain your LO's during the winter months? I also work out of the house part-time, which I'm actually thankful for because we all get a change of scenery! Spring can't get here fast enough!

Also... what do your houses really look like? Mine is clean about 1 time per day and then within an hour it looks like a tornado hit it!!!!

2. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

10 weeks preg? Wow...kudos to you Mommy. I'd be worse off than you are now! *hugs*

My twins are almost 9 months and we're in the same boat. We all stay in the living room. We got rid of the exersaucers because they didn't care for them much and have a few larger toys in the living room. A drop n roar dinosaur, a sit to stand giraffe and a few buckets of small rattles, keys, etc. It feels like I'm forever picking up the house! I try to clean in the evenings when DH is home and can help but it doesn't always work that way. We do try to get out of the house occasionally, but I also have a 3 year old so that makes things interesting. I wanted to go to the mall today, seeing as how I haven't been since the twins were born. But we only have a double stroller and I don't think older DS could keep up and listen to me in the mall while my attention is focused on the babies. *shrug* I'm just counting down the days until it all gets easier....I'm told that it does, anyways.

Hang in there Momma, you can do it.

3. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

There has been a cold snap here this week, so it's been -6F plus the wind. We havent gone out since Saturday. I have the twins gated into the kitchen, my oldest who is 3 plays in the living room. I clean when everyone is in bed, that way it stays clean for AT least a 12 hr stretch.

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Winter is tough with infants, that's for sure! When we were at home we did "circuit training"... I'd set up the jumperoo, several big toys and rotate them around to each one when they got fussy. Also, if they're crawling just letting them roam around and explore the house is pretty fun. Teach them about stairs and stuff.

If we go anywhere in winter we go to the mall.. everywhere else is too much hassle having to bundle them up and undress them going in between stores. And it's nice to be able to sit in the food court and have lunch with the kids. Also maybe look for a MoM's group or a baby play group where you can sit and chat with other moms and get a little break in the day. I know that's easier said than done with twins on the loose though ;)

And my house is in permanent disarray. We even have cleaners and it still looks like disaster hit about an hour after they leave. I figure there's only another 18 or so years of that.

5. amymarie3

amymarie3 Well-Known Member

Cleaning? Whats that? I thought floors were supposed to be carpeted with toys that you trip over every time you turn around.

I do have a very very vague memory of life before the twins when it was just DH's dirty clothes that I tripped over. But that memory is fading fast.......

6. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

All of us twins moms are bothered with messy houses. But really let it go. Nothing we can do about it. I have cleaning lady come over 2x/month. But 2 hours after she's done, its back to messy again. So mainly, she cleans bathroom, kitchen, vacuum,..

You are pregnant. So properly, your pregnant hormones drive your mood now lol.the first 3 month of pregnancy is so hard. You got tired, bodyache, morning sickness or all day long sickness. So just rest if you can. About the house, if you have air purifier and humidifier run, you are good.

Buy some big toys and lot of small toys like laugh and learn vtech. Rotate the toys.. Keep your house baby friendly. Sit them down, let them play, crawl,.. You just rest and watch them.

Being pregnant and taking care of the twins are tough. Don't ask too much. Just focus on your well being and the twins. Good luck!

7. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

YUP! Going absolutely NUTS in the house. It's just too hard to get out in the cold (I too live in Indiana!)I do get to my parents house about once a week. I also have a 3 year old (almost 3) and at least she gets to go to "school" two mornings a week. My twins are 5 months.

My house is a wreck all day.

8. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

My house should be condemned. Okay it's not that bad but some days I feel like it. I have five and getting out of the house isn't fun. Not like it used to be. We went out on Sunday. We went to the mall so the big kids could spend their gift cards and we stopped at Wal-Mart after. That was the first time my twins had been out of the house in a week. Between the bitter cold (I'm in N. KY) and everyone taking turns being sick we never get to go anywhere.

9. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Winter is definitely tough! My boys were only two months old when we had their first winter, so it was pretty easy to stay home. We've been homebound for the past week because one of my boys had surgery. Tomorrow is the first day he is leaving the house-any of them really! I've left here and there for quick trips, but that's it. It's maddening to be stuck at home!

But I agree with pp, if your kids tolerate the stroller well, I'd pack 'em up and go to the mall or somewhere nice and warm inside! If you know ahead of time, you could plan ahead the night before(not that I ever did). It gets you out of the house and it gives them new things to look at! And I hear ya on the pregnancy. My boys were just about to turn one when I got pregnant. Put those feet up once they are in bed!

And cleaning? Pft. I made sure it was clean when I *knew* people were coming over...

10. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

:laughing: :laughing:
    So they say! :tease: :crazy:

11. babs0004

babs0004 Well-Known Member

My twins are 6.5 months old and my house is ALWAYS a wreck (I have a cleaning service twice monthly!) and we are terribly cabin-feverish with all this snow (I"m in NJ). I get them out every Saturday (unless someone is sick) we go to the mall to walk and have lunch in the food court. I bought the JJ COle Urban BundleMe for Toddlers and put them in the side-by-side double jogger so I don't have to put jackets on them. I just put hats on them and zip up the BundleMe and away we go. Those things have saved my sanity. With the plastic rain cover and the BundleMe's, we even go for long walks in the neighborhood in the afternoon, snowing or not. It saves us. Otherwise, we're all stir crazy inside and ready for Spring!

12. sistersbeall

sistersbeall Well-Known Member

At 22 months we still basically spend all our time in the house. Part of that is the nasty weather in the south and the other part is the 14 week old baby. I can't go anywhere with the three of them by myself. I understand how you feel. I also remember days while I was preggers with the third one that I barely had the energy to get off the couch mych less wrangle two toddlers anywhere in public.

If you think your house is wreck now, just wait. Once the twins are truly mobile messes will just create themselves out of thin air. Then add a new baby and the stuff he/she will need. Most days my house feels much smaller than it really is because of the stuff everywhere. Somedays I feel like it is a toy landmine.

Keep your head up. This too shall pass.

13. mary2bmeg

mary2bmeg Member

I'm right there with you. We live in D.C. and it has been a frigid winter. Granted, I do work and get out of the house for that, but I'm still about to lose my mind b/c that's the only reason I leave the house. My house is in a constant state of disarray. I cannot get caught up on laundry, there are toys EVERYWHERE, and my poor dog is driving me crazy for attention b/c we can't take her out on runs or big walks!! Now that my girls are "cruising" keeping them entertained is even tougher. I've devised "stations" in different rooms to keep them happy. We'll play in the family room for awhile, move to the kitchen to pull out tupperware and plastic cups, etc. Then, it's to the upstairs where they completely tear apart their room before moving on to ours. DD1 loves to play w/ clothes. She pulls them out of the dryer, unfolds folded clothes, and pulls open drawers to rip clothes out. Needless to say, by the time they finally cry themselves to sleep, I am exhausted. It's a rarity that I make it until 9pm. Spring cannot get her soon enough.

On another note, DD1 has started SCREECHING when she wants something or wants my attention. It is on the one hand hilarious, but on the other a serious problem! DD2 just looks at her like, "What the hell is wrong w/ you?" My girls are almost 11 months old so they are starting to figure out what it takes to really get my attention. They were also sleeping great at night and falling asleep farily easily, but as of last week have started having a terrible time falling asleep and are waking up multiple times at night. What's going on here? I thought I was in the home stretch w/ sleeping. :tomato:

14. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

my twins are 7 months old and well hazmat isn't going to show up anytime soon but Martha Stewart isn't either. There is almost ALWAYS a full basket of clean clothes and several baskets of dirty, I am pretty good about keeping the kitchen cleaned but its mainly because its so small if it isn't clean I can't get in it. Some days i am lucky to get a shower and get dressed before 2. I clean when they are sleeping. I am lucky to have a 9 year old dd who LOVES to play with her brother and sister. Also its easier for us to get out because dd is in school so its just me and the twins. We do Target and Kroger ALOT and some days we go have lunch with Daddy. My theroy and their ped agree's as long as it is above 20* put them in their snowsuits and strap them in the stroller and go for a walk even if its just around the block. Fresh air most times = SLEEP. And honestly if you ever talk to a twin mom who says her house is always clean she is either A)LYING or B)has a nanny and a housekeeper or C) Drinks LOL

15. healer27

healer27 Well-Known Member

Haha I love these responses!! I have a 31/2 year old and 7 month old girl twins who just started crawling and we live in a house with only a family room and kitchen and bedrooms NO extra space. I do have a cleaning person who comes 2x a month as well but as others have said thats basically to scrub stuff that i can't get to and my house is a mess shortly after. I HATE being stuck inside, I havne't wanted to take the girls out much because they've been hopitalized 2x each already once with RSV and are constantly wheezy so I'm just always petrified of them picking up something. The days I'm home all day with them (like today) I want to scream. I know I'm lucky that I can be home with my babies. but all day sitting on a blanket with them on the floor just makes me nuts.. Im' even planning on taking a late night trip to the gym tonight after everyone is in bed (?) just so i can get OUT for awhile in a different atmosphere.

To top everything all of them funniest part is we are suppposd to be moving in 6 months to maryland (in nj now) and we need to put our house o nthe market. I don't know HOW I'M going to have the time or energy or space to get everything all cleaned up on a regular basis for houseshowing. I think I better start doingsome serious praying that we get the house sold.