Any tricks to getting sick kids to sleep all night?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MNTwinSquared, Jan 12, 2009.

1. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

This may sound harsh, but I am starting to think some sort of sleeping pill. :( I am wiped. I have had one good night sleep in the last seven! :shok: DD is sick. We don't know exactly why, but she is getting treated for an ear infection. It may or may not be an ear infection. She started treatment yesterday. Her tummy hurts, she runs an intermittant fever (burning up kind), and at times, you can't tell that she is sick. I can't see why she doesn't just drop down exhausted by now. She is literally waking up a good TEN times a night (at least!). Crying. Can't really tell me much of what is wrong. We've been in to the doctor twice in the past week and all her tests come back clear & normal (urine, stool, blood, chest x-ray & strep). The doctor yesterday *thought* her ears looked questionable, hence the amoxicillan. I'm giving her motrin & tylenol for fever/pains. She does complain that her tummy hurts at times when she is feeling sick.
    Any tricks to getting her to sleep at night? This is really wearing me out! Evan takes ONE nap a day and the twins none. I am beyond tired. Any suggestions?

2. Andi German

Andi German Well-Known Member

Thats so hard for you. Poor thing - she must be uncomfortable in some way if she is waking up so much. Mine are just getting over 3 weeks of colds coughs and ear infections and just starting to sleep through again. When they were crying - usually not at the same time I just took them into bed with me and they slept in my arms. Have you tried that?

3. MNTwinSquared

Yeah, we tried bringing her up to our queen sized bed last night but every time she moved, dh told her to stop moving. Yeah.. so I ended up getting a little shut eye in her bed with her (little = less than an hour). It doesn't help that she is not a good sleeper to begin with. Thanks!

4. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

Could you ask the ped if you can give her some benadryl? She needs good rest to fight off whatever bug she has, so it's not like you're drugging her just for your own good--it could be good for her too. :p

5. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would ask the pedi.

I have been know to let my girls sleep in our bed (luckly we have a king) just so i can get some sleep. Or I have slept with them in their room (they have a full size bed). This way we both got some sleep.

6. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

Who ever has the magic solution to this problem could make a lot of money!! We've been dealing with this issue for over 2 weeks. I think with sick kids you gotta just wait it out, unfortunately. :( This won't help keeping them asleep but my dh and I take "shifts." He'll cover any wake ups for the first half of the night and I'll take care of them for the second half. At least you might get a little more sleep... Or you could try a little benedryl, my pedi told us "off the record" that we could do that to take the edge off.

Good luck, I hope sleep returns to your family soon. :hug:

7. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I dont really have any suggestions other than the pp's suggestion, Benadryl .. although that might not even work .. it doesnt work for Jayden .. it makes him restless instead.
    I sure wish there was a magic answer .. things are tough when you arent sleeping enough. I sure hope she feels better quick so you can all get some sleep !

8. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

Can you ask her where she would like to sleep? or get her a new stuffed toy and tell her it will make her feel all better? When she doesnt feel good to give it an extra squeeze? :) LOL I have no idea but hope you get some sleep soon! Do they make pepto for kids?

9. MNTwinSquared

QUOTE(E&Msmom @ Jan 12 2009, 08:05 PM) [snapback]1144262[/snapback]
    Can you ask her where she would like to sleep?

We did last night and she chose our bed.. didn't work though. Stuffed animals don't work.. we try them to get them to go to sleep vs. playing in bed.
    Do they make pepto for kids?

Pepto bismo has some ingredient in it that causes Reye's Syndrome in kids. That is why you have to be at least 12 to have it (I think that is the age). I can't even take it because I'm breastfeeding and it would be transmitted in my milk. Thanks!

10. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I've had periods of Ainsley waking frequently at night (not sick though), and I had a talk with her during the day about how when she screams at night, it wakes up everyone, and that we are all trying to sleep. It actually works! I've also offered some kind of reward in the morning, like if you can go all night without screaming, you can have a marshmallow in the morning, or a sticker. Even though she's sick, there really isn't much you can *do* for her except give her a hug and tell her to go back to sleep.
    I might try Benadryl, since she is sick. If she does have an ear infection, it might help dry it up.

11. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

I ditto the benedryl in this instance, it really may help her feel better, it helps with colds and with nausea so I would give it a shot. Could you sleep in her room on the floor with her? What about a couch?

12. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(JicJac @ Jan 12 2009, 05:30 PM) [snapback]1144291[/snapback]
    Pepto bismo has some ingredient in it that causes Reye's Syndrome in kids. That is why you have to be at least 12 to have it (I think that is the age). I can't even take it because I'm breastfeeding and it would be transmitted in my milk. Thanks!

I never knew that! and Im a breastfeeding mama as well. thanks for sharing that info! :)

13. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

Oh no Jackie. Hopefully the antibiotics will make her feel a bit better and she starts sleeping better. I don't have much advice. We are going through the same thing here...for the 2nd time since right before Christmas. My twins both have nasty coughs, runny noses and ear infections. Olivia started with the cough today, so she's getting it to.

HUGS to you, I hope you get some sleep soon. Can DH help you at night with the kids? It's exhausting doing it all by yourself. Hang in there!

14. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

How was last night?