Any of your premies on Enfamil Enfacare?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by gekasbaby, Sep 19, 2008.

1. gekasbaby

gekasbaby Active Member

My son was born at 3lbs1oz and my daughter was 4lbs10oz. The doc suggested Enfacare for both when they were born. My babies are now 3 months old today! DD is 11lbs and DS is 10lbs... the doc suggested taking DD off Enfacare but leaving my DS on it. I am just curious what formula other premies are on. I would prefer not to make two bottles with two different formulas at every feeding. Also, wondering if there is really a big difference between the Lipil and Enfacare. Another concern is the $$$. I would prefer to use something cheaper if possible. Thanks for any Comments/ Suggestions/Thoughts?

2. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

QUOTE(GEKASBABY @ Sep 19 2008, 10:32 PM) [snapback]988558[/snapback]
    My son was born at 3lbs1oz and my daughter was 4lbs10oz. The doc suggested Enfacare for both when they were born. My babies are now 3 months old today! DD is 11lbs and DS is 10lbs... the doc suggested taking DD off Enfacare but leaving my DS on it. I am just curious what formula other premies are on. I would prefer not to make two bottles with two different formulas at every feeding. Also, wondering if there is really a big difference between the Lipil and Enfacare. Another concern is the $$$. I would prefer to use something cheaper if possible. Thanks for any Comments/ Suggestions/Thoughts?

If you are interested I have a toll free number that you can call Enfacare and they will send you a FREE case of the Enfacare....and if you are so inclined you can call or have friends/family call for you as well. ;) It is kinda beating the system..but when you have twins...you gotta have a break somewhere...

Let me know and I will send you the information....I got it from my Peditrician!

Missy

3. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Our girls were on Similac Neosure from the time they left the hospital (2 months old) until they were 6 months old. They are now on Enfamil Lipil. Neosure (and I'm assuming other "preemie" formulas) has a higher calorie count which is important for small babies. I know it's a bit more expensive and there is no generic for most special formulas. I would do whatever your pedi suggests. Once your DS is a little bigger he will probably take him off of it. Perhaps it would be ok for your DD to have generic?

4. gekasbaby

gekasbaby Active Member

MissyEby, YES, PLEASE send me the number ;)

Dlong83, what is the generic for enfamil lipil? Sorry if that is a stupid question.

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We were on enfacare until 4 months and then switched with regular enfamil lipil. You can ask your pedi to contact the ref for samples or coupons. That stuff was wicked expensive. GL.

6. annagloth

annagloth Well-Known Member

Mine are still on Enfacare, I am hoping we can come off of it at our next appointment although when we had our 2 month appointment the pedi said that they susally stay on it until 9 months!!!! They are both getting so big now that I can't imagine the need for that so I hope he changes it otherwise we are going to be broke!!!!! One can of powder a day at this point and they are only going to eat more!!!! AAAAHHHHHHHH

7. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

My boys were 3lbs 3oz and 3lbs 11oz and both were on regular Similac from the get go. Both were gaining well on it, though as they got older, we had to add extra scoops of formula to add more calories. I'm not sure what Enfacare does that is different, but I would follow what your doctor suggests. For a few months I had to add rice cereal to Jake's bottles and I actually liked making two separate bottles..though I'm not sure why. Sorry that's not much help. :wub:

8. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

We were on Neosure until they were about 3 months adjusted (7 months actual) and then we switched to the Kirkland (Costco) generic and they have done just fine.

9. alechiac

alechiac Well-Known Member

We were on 22 cal bm/enfacare (we would add a tsp of enfacare to the bm bottles) until the babies were 10 lbs, then we switched to regular formula but watched their growth. They did fine off it, though I did like giving it to our DD, who was smaller and had reflux (then I didn't have to stress about how many oz she was getting.

Good luck.

10. chris629

chris629 Well-Known Member

Abbi was born 1 lb 3 oz and Josh 2 lbs 11 oz. They were both on ebm only till they got older and needed more cals as they got more active. So Josh was on enfacare for a bit along with ebm/bf'ing and Abbi was just on enfacare till she turned one and then was on pediasure.

11. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

My girls will be 9 months old this week and they are still on EnfaCare. Our Pedi and the NeoNatologist who does their NICU follow-up says they need to be on it until their height and weight percentile are equal on the graph for very low birth weight premature girls.

12. Irishlisa

Irishlisa Well-Known Member

Mine are on EnfaCare and our doc said they would stay on it intil they are 1. The nurses are great about giving me free samples and I also called Enfamil for samples.

13. tburke75

tburke75 Well-Known Member

Both my girls are on Similac Neosure, it's 22 cal per oz and have been since being in the hospital. Abby was 4lb 11oz and Taylor was 3lb 12oz. I use it to fortify my breast milk as well. I feel like my bigger twin is getting huge so fast (a good thing I hope) and maybe getting too many calories. She is already eating almost 4oz at each feeding. Have an pedi appointment tomorrow for both girls. Maybe he will switch her to a different formula.

14. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Dlong83, what is the generic for enfamil lipil? Sorry if that is a stupid question.
    [/quote]

I know Wal-mart has a parent's choice kind that is just like enfamil. we don't have a target or anything else around here so that's the only one I know.

15. anicakes

anicakes Well-Known Member

My girls were 7.5 weeks early, and they either take Enfamil Lipil on Nestle Good Start (which I prefer). I've also tried Similac's equivalent to the Lipil...no problem with any of them, except I prefer the texture of Good Start the best.

16. jamiandkyle2002

jamiandkyle2002 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MissyEby @ Sep 19 2008, 10:07 PM) [snapback]988603[/snapback]
    If you are interested I have a toll free number that you can call Enfacare and they will send you a FREE case of the Enfacare....and if you are so inclined you can call or have friends/family call for you as well. ;) It is kinda beating the system..but when you have twins...you gotta have a break somewhere...
    Let me know and I will send you the information....I got it from my Peditrician!

Missy

please send me the #!
    my dr. judt put my newborn preemies on this!
    thanks jami