any advice on how to switch from soy to milk-based?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Mar 20, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

my Lo's already had 8 oz of soy formula in their morning bottles.
    i would like to switch formulas and was wondering if i should wean them with their next bottle and how much i should use when weaning them. 1/2 soy and 1/2 milk? etc.

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I would go slower and do an ounce for an ounce for a few bottles and make sure things are going smoothly and then go ahead and switch.

3. newtothis

how long do i do just one ounce for.
    if i do an ounce in their next bottles, and then an ounce in the bottle after that, how long do i just do 1 oz?

4. DATJMom

When I went from formula to milk, I just did one ounce for a day-then 2 ounces, then 3, and 4. I increased each day. But once I hit 4 ounces (half of their bottle) I was confident that they werent having any reactions so I just went to all milk after that. I figured that way if they had a reaction at least I might be able to control how much milk product they were getting by just doing an ounce then overloading their systems and going cold turkey.

5. newtothis

if they could tolerate yogurt fine, would it be safe to assume they could tolerate milk-based formula?

6. DATJMom

I dont think you will know until you try.

HERE is a link from wholesomebabyfood.com about why yogurt and cheese are good options before a year old.