Another update-still in hospital with pre-eclampsia

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by desolation_anonymous, Oct 27, 2008.

1. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

Well, I had the amnio to check their lung function today and they are not at all mature. THey are are 30 and need to be at 65 (whatever that means) for delivery.

The doctor did seem a bit concerned with how much fluid I'm retaining in my abdominal wall.

I was actually surprised, the doctor who did the amnio supposed to be one of the best at doing it (per other doctors who have had him do it) but it just felt like a little pinch that lasted 30-60 seconds for each. I know some have had horrible experiences but mine was rather mellow. Then again, I know as my belly has gotten so big and retained water in the abdominal wall, I've had some problems feeling things- sometimes I can't feel kicks while my husband can from the outside, etc.... so maybe it wasn't so bad because I don't have as much sensation there as before?

They will check again at next week at 36 weeks but I'm not at all hopeful. Then maybe at 37 weeks...

The doctor said something kinda funny, he said the 'one good thing' is that babies tend to develop more quickly when they are stressed, so they probably aren't that stressed. Well, I guess it is a silver lining, isn't it?

So no babies delivered yet for a while, unless the pre-eclampsia becomes severe. :( I know it's weird, but now that I've developed this, and because the boys are mono/di, I'm so eager to get them out- I wolrry that they might be safer outside of me.... but I intellectually know that isn't true as long as their lung function isn't mature... and they are listening to their heartrates 3x a day....

And I'm still really, really scared. My platelet levels are still dropping and I have a constant headache. At least most of the nurses here are really good, there are 3 shifts a day, and out of a week and 2 days I've only had 2 I didn't like.

2. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

I had pre-e and we delivered at 34w6d. The girls did wonderful. Just hold in there, you are getting so close!

3. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Sorry their lungs weren't mature. :(

I completely understand the desire to just get the babies "out" so you can be sure they are healthy! Hopefully they will be mature at next week's amnio - and you are certainly in the right place to be sure your baby boys stay safe and healthy in the meantime!

4. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

I had pre-e, too. I gained SO MUCH fluid. I gained 90 lbs with my pregnancy and 1 week after delivery I had lost 70 lbs!!! That's how much water I had in me (the boys were 14 lbs combined). I carried my mono-di boys to 37 weeks and delivered vag. It was rather difficult with the magnesium sulfate (are you on that? that stuff is HORRIBLE) but they arrived safe and sound.

Hang in there, mamma.

5. AngelKLP13

AngelKLP13 Well-Known Member

I am praying for you and your precious boys!

6. desolation_anonymous

QUOTE(MusicalAli @ Oct 27 2008, 08:47 PM) [snapback]1044771[/snapback]
    I had pre-e, too. I gained SO MUCH fluid. I gained 90 lbs with my pregnancy and 1 week after delivery I had lost 70 lbs!!! That's how much water I had in me (the boys were 14 lbs combined). I carried my mono-di boys to 37 weeks and delivered vag. It was rather difficult with the magnesium sulfate (are you on that? that stuff is HORRIBLE) but they arrived safe and sound.

Hang in there, mamma.

I've gained a lot of fluid, too! I've gained over 30 pounds in just a month :eek: over 70 so far... it's freaky- my whole legs and thighs are so swollen I can barely walk.... it IS good to know that you had som much fluid loss so quickly, it gives me something to hope for/look forward to!

Congratulations on your large and healthy boys! We're planning on trying vag too, depending on safety...

Not on mag sulfate yet- will put me on if pre-e becomes 'severe' but I think I will almost definitely need to be on it during and after delivery. Do you mind me asking what specifically made it difficult to labor on the mag (despite it being awful?)

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and your words of encouragement!

7. desolation_anonymous

Thank you everyone for your kind and encouraging words!

8. Mom2SaraandSam

Mom2SaraandSam Well-Known Member

Hang in there..you're doing so great!

9. jillangel

jillangel Well-Known Member

Of course an optimal time for delivery is supposedly the longer in the better BUT even if you deliver any time now for whatever reason (and I hope you hang in there a bit longer) your babies have an incredible chance of having very little to no complications now! It's great you've made it this far! Good luck.

10. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

:hug: I hope next week's show they're nice and mature!! Glad they are keeping a very close eye on you!

11. Joanna416

Joanna416 Well-Known Member

Stay strong - you are doing great! :clapping:

12. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

The mag can just make you feel really "out of it". I mean, it seemed like I was in a daze the whole time. I just wasn't "myself". Since I've had another baby, I can compare it to my labor with her. With her, I felt in control, I knew what was going on, etc. The mag can just make you feel "out of it", like a said before. Granted, it is life-saving and I'm still glad I was able to deliver vag. It also can counteract pitocin if you need to be induced, which I was. But, i'm still glad I went this route. I actually came closer to a c/s with my daughter than I did the twins because she was (unknowingly) so huge.

13. NicoleMarieLG

NicoleMarieLG Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this but your babies are doing great ((hug)))