another unswaddled sleeping question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by SeattleLisa, Apr 5, 2008.

1. SeattleLisa

SeattleLisa Well-Known Member

At 6 months old now is it safe to let them sleep on their stomachs?

DS startles so much and wakes himself up, so I'm wondering if sleeping on his tummy might help this. but is it safe?

2. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

If they can roll both ways then it is probably safe, but for me personally the back to sleep thing was so ingrained that I ALWAYS (and still do) put them to sleep on their backs, if they roll over to their tummies (which they both do) then so be it.

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wondered the same thing. We stopped swaddling Monday. Anthony has STTN since then! Until last night...I finally had had it-and I laid him on his stomach-and he was out cold. Don't know why because he was sleeping fine on his back. He can roll tummy to back, but not back to tummy. I will put him down again on his back and see what happens....

4. Jhstobe@earthlink.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I put mine on their back and they roll to their tummys. I am not going to roll them over every time they roll themselves so needless to say I find them every morning on their stomaches.

5. annelily2000

annelily2000 Well-Known Member

As soon as ours could hold their heads up, we put them on their stomachs to sleep, and they have been sttn ever since!!!

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

As soon as mine could roll they both decided to sleep on their tummies. We had one fruitless week of trying to flip them over, but they would roll right back. You have to decide if its safe for your child. Only you and your partner can determine if its safe. GL!

7. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

My DS started sleeping in his crib when I started putting him on his stomach at 5 months old. He knocks right out after I pat his bottom a little bit.

8. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

I think you really have to do what you are comfortable with. Mine started sleeping on their tummies around 3.5 months, they slept soooo much better. As soon as they were able to roll over on their own they always slept on their sides or tummy.

9. 2Xthelove

2Xthelove Well-Known Member

i asked the doctor this same question when mine started to sleep on their tummies he said if they are rolling over then it's fine unless you want to fight the never ending battle of putting them back on their backs because they will just roll over again he said it's fine.

10. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

MIne have been sleeping on stomachs for a long time. They sleep much better. My DD rolls back and forth all night but goes to sleep on stomach.