Another super complicated birthday invites question

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Fran27, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I still have a couple months but I like planning ahead, lol.

My kids are in 2 different classes, but 50% of the kids stay in the afternoon 3 days a week all together, and to make it even easier, only 4 kids in DD's class go 5 times a week, so the other 2 days, they go in DS' class.

So DD pretty much has friends in both classes. They've never had a real birthday party so I promised them it will be this year. We're doing pump it up so we can invite both classes, np... but how in the world do I do the invites? Most kids and parents at this time know they are twins I think, do I just put both names on the invite? I don't want people to feel that they have to give two presents, but I know DD would feel bad if her friends from DS' class didn't give her anything (and vice versa).

Such a mess. I don't know if I can make different invites and it seems complicated and a bit weird. Suggestions?

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I only put both names if the child is friends with both of my kids. Otherwise they get and invite with only the name of the child they are friends with. Some people will still give two gifts, but that is their choice. As for gifts, mine always end up with a different number, one reason we open gifts at home. I also make my kids write their thank you notes before they can play with anything (when they were too young to write them, they would still "sign" their names as they were able), the one with less gifts, has fewer thank you's to write, so he usually isn't too upset :)

3. **Sandy**

**Sandy** Well-Known Member

I would put both names on all invitations. I have tried both ways and both names on invitations worked best for us. With one name on the invitation, I got questions about whether the party was for both girls. Some parents were also uncomfortable when they arrived at the party and realized there were 2 birthday girls and they only had one present. We were not concerned about the presents but everyone seemed more comfortable knowing that there were two kids celebrating a birthday that day,

4. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would put both names on the invitation and let the parents figure out if they want to get one or 2 gifts. Since my girls play together at recess and have gym together, I put both names on the invitation. Most of their friends brought them both a gift (some bought the one they are closer to a bigger gift), some times it was a joint gift. I figure the party if for both kids, let parents decide on how to do the gift.

I will also say that we had a few friends when the kids where younger who did join party's with other kids not siblings. One evite even though family friends only new one of the 2 birthday children. It was not a big deal to only bring a gift to the kid that we knew.

5. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I would put both of their names on the invites so the parents know it's for both kids. Even if all of the children don't know your son, that's OK. If they were in completely different classes and the two groups had no interaction, I'd go with separate invites, but with the cross-mingling, both on one makes most sense. Like someone else said, I'd make mention of whether siblings are invited to the bounce house or not so you're not overwhelmed with extra kids if you don't plan for it.

6. hezza12

hezza12 Well-Known Member

I was one of the people also asking about this recently... and what I ended up doing was giving out some invites for both kids (to those who have been long-term friends with both our boys), and dividing up the rest of the invites by class, so those invited from DS1's class had an invite for "a party for DS1", and those from Ds2's class had an invite to "a party for DS2". Some of those kids are friends with both of them, but I didn't want anyone to feel obliged to buy two presents, and with their birthdays so close to Christmas, they reeaallly don't need 20 birthday gifts each. I did have some parents ask if I was throwing them separate parties, and it was easy enough to say that no, it's a joint party, but the invites were given out by class because it kept it simple, and we don't want the kids (ie. parents!) to feel they need to bring two gifts to one party. I figure if they really want to buy a gift for each kid, they can and will, but they understand it's completely not expected.

1 person likes this.