Another question about the upcoming transition

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by SMax, Jul 30, 2010.

1. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

You guys have been very helpful with the "pearls of wisdom" for our new nanny. It sounds like yesterday went very well as she took the lead with the kids while our current nanny stepped aside and observed.

Hopefully this will be my last question on the matter. I am not sure how to handle the first morning that she is alone with the kiddos. She worked alongside our current nanny for 3 days this week, learning the routine and getting to know the kiddos. She will start on her own Monday morning. I wonder if I should keep to my same schedule (heading off to work ~10 minutes after she arrives) or hang around longer in the morning to make sure everyone is comfortable?

With our current nanny/schedule, the kiddos are generally in the middle of breakfast when we give kisses, hugs and say goodbye, so it actually is a nice distraction. If we are running behind and they finish breakfast and start moving around, then we often have more protests and sometimes tears when we leave.

The advice I read for first-time preschool drop-offs is to just tell them you love them, assure them you will be back after work, and matter-of-factly leave, fully expecting tears and prostest. Same philosophy here? These guys just turned two so they might need a little more reassuring. What do you think?

Thanks, ladies :)

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I would stick with the same routine! Sounds like leaving during meal time is a great idea. Good luck and I hope it goes better then expected!

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would do the same. :D

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would also stick to the same routine. Good luck!

5. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I agree, stick to the routine. If she's had three days to see how things work she should know what she's doing, where to find stuff etc. You could call her as soon as you get to work to make sure that it's going ok and there's nothing else she needs to know.
    I hope you all have a smooth transition!