Another massive toy recall

Discussion in 'General' started by Monika, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

2. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Well after all these recalls, maybe the large manufactoring companys will learn it might not be "cheaper" to go overseas for their plants.

3. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

WOW that is everything from toys to bookmarks. I cant believe this is happening. WOW.

Thanks for that information Monika.

Time to start making our own stuff like the old days...

Brandy

4. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

thanks for the link...thankfully I don't have any of that stuff... so far I have one toy being affected by the recalls...whew...

5. cwinslow7

cwinslow7 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Monika...I really appreciate the network of mommies I have helping to keep each other's kids safe.

BTW- That link is to one of our local stations...

6. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

The thing about this recall that upsets me is that they are only going through toys already manufactured -- that are already here in this country. There is no plan to institute inspection for future toys or medicines or foods that will be coming in the future. Grrrr.....

7. frain2005

frain2005 Well-Known Member

Almost makes me want to stop buying any toys for my kids. :( What is wrong with these companies....Don't they test for stuff like this? Seems to me it would be cheaper to do it "right" the first time, and avoid the bad publicity that comes along with the recalls. It is just sad that there has been SO MANY lately!

8. K*D*B

K*D*B Well-Known Member

What freaks me out a little is that we are not just seeing them more frequently but in much more quantity. Like 5 or 6 different recalls in one day. Are they just holding out until they have a satck and THEN telling the public. WTF?
    Cari

9. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

I really wonder if they have ever tested the items before. All of a sudden stuff is being tested and recalled. I know this probably sounds a little out there but I was seriously wondering if the increase in autism has anything to do with those dangerous chemicals? This is just something that has been crossing my mind lately.

10. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Monika @ Oct 5 2007, 03:01 PM) [snapback]437064[/snapback]
    I really wonder if they have ever tested the items before. All of a sudden stuff is being tested and recalled. I know this probably sounds a little out there but I was seriously wondering if the increase in autism has anything to do with those dangerous chemicals? This is just something that has been crossing my mind lately.

That thought has crossed my mind as well.

I have the Baby Einstein blocks, BUT they weren't the affected code. Still makes me think that I'm just going to throw them away. Maybe not my blocks today, but maybe my blocks tomorrow. I'm sure they were all made in the same place.

11. Ellen Barr

This is a dense article, but speaks to your concerns about chemical/toxic exposures and autism: link to article in Health Issues Forum

I don't think they did test before. They took the manufacturers word for what was in/on the products. Because Chinese manufacturers aren't liable the way american manufacturers are, there really wasn't any incentive for them to do more than pump out the products as quickly and cheaply as possible.

12. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

OK, that's it!!!! Sorry, kids, but Santa's probably not bringing toys this year.

Well, I'm only 1/2 serious, but really!! Makes me afraid to buy them anything anymore.

13. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Ellen Barr @ Oct 5 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]437113[/snapback]
    This is a dense article, but speaks to your concerns about chemical/toxic exposures and autism: link to article in Health Issues Forum

I don't think they did test before. They took the manufacturers word for what was in/on the products. Because Chinese manufacturers aren't liable the way american manufacturers are, there really wasn't any incentive for them to do more than pump out the products as quickly and cheaply as possible.

Thanks for the link, Ellen.

14. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

I have two sets of the baby einstein blocks that I got at my shower and am returning today! So, it seems to me that most toys are made in China. Does anyone know of any toys that are NOT made in China?

15. Ellen Barr

Here is a good site for links to American made toys and other products: Made in USA

Also, any toys made in europe.