another decorating question

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Poohbear05, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

when you moved your kids out of the crib, did you go straight to twin beds (w/o the frame) or did you do toddler beds?? How long were they in toddler beds before moving to twin beds??? FWIW, my two will be moved at approximately 15-16 months of age. We need a crib for the next baby and thought to just move them instead of buying yet another crib......

2. PK

PK Active Member

I moved my girls straight to twin beds with frames & bed rails. THese will be thier beds for a very, very, very long time. The only difference is that I didnt move my girls as early as you are(we did it at 2.6). I couldn't see spending the extra money on toddler beds. Good Luck

3. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

We don't have a toddler bed for our twins and NOT planning on getting one. We have 2 twins bedroom furniture as we sold it and kept the mattress only. We knew we wanted to get new bedroom set for both of them. We are planning on getting a bed rail for them.

Rianna and Justin are going to be transition to their own room after they reach 18 months this Spring. I am putting 2 our twins bed into Justin's room (one for Papa when he in town). And Rianna is getting a new mattress. We are getting her a trunkle bed so when she become a teenager and having her friend staying over night. Justin will have one ready in his own room.

The best part is I get decorate their room theme! (Rianna "The Fairy" and Justin "Superman/Batman"

I hope this idea helps!
    Diana w/Rianna and Justin (16.5 mos)

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When my oldest DD moved out of the crib we just put a twin mattress on the floor for awhile until she got used to that. We just used that for about 6 months and then got a full size bed for her, her room is pretty big. I didn't see the need for toddler beds, unless your crib converts to one, to me it's a waste of money.

5. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

We switched from cribs to full size beds. We did however wait till they were almost 3 to do it.

6. jakeandpeytonsmommy

jakeandpeytonsmommy Well-Known Member

Our cribs turned from cribs to day beds to full size beds. They are currently in day beds and will be in the full size ones once I can switch around their room.

7. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

We just went straight to twin beds. When they started climbing out of their cribs, we just put their crib mattresses on the floor. But they pushed them all over the room, and would stay awake for hours playing and fighting. So we moved them to seperate rooms and bought a twin mattress for each of them. We left these on the floor for about 6 months and it was clear they wouldnt' fall out. So we then bought the beds (bunk beds that seperate into two twin beds, so if we ever want to bunk them we can later down the road). Work pretty well that way. I had looked at toddler beds, but we just saved money and put it towards the twin beds instead which we would have eventually had to buy anyways. Good luck with your decision! I think each family does it the way that works best for them.

8. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

We've not made the change yet, but we'll go straight to twin beds. I think toddler beds are just an unecessary expense and would rather put it towards the twin bedroom furniture.

Since you are moving yours so young though, maybe try the mattresses on the floor for a while. Mine won't move to twin beds until around age 3.

9. ****mws****

****mws**** Banned

WE DID 2 FULL SIZE MATTRESSES ON THE FLOOR.. WITH BOX SPRINGS.. AND NO FURNATURE .. PROBALBY UNTIL THEY ARE 5 lol

10. Dani J.

Dani J. Well-Known Member

Jake & Sarah's cribs turn into toddler beds. We just moved them about 6 weeks ago and yes, they are almost 4. It's been a GREAT transition. They'll be in the toddler beds until at least the summer when I think we are going to separate them. Not sure yet if we'll do twin beds w/ trundles or doubles.

11. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

we bought toddler beds on Craigs list. We had space issues that I was not ready to deal with yet. Still not ready to deal with them, but they are getting too big for the toddler beds!

12. bickford

bickford Well-Known Member

We went straight to twin beds at 21 months much to my dismay. They learned to summersalt out of their pack n plays (we were visiting my folks for 5 weeks and didnt have cribs.) A friend of mine whose twin girls are 8 months older then mine said that she bought toddler beds and said it wasnt worth the money. Just get bed rails and but a bunch of pillows or one of the crib mattresses on the floor for the foot of the bed. My girls often sleep in the same bed.