another belly sleeping question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by cohlee, Apr 24, 2008.

1. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

For those of you who have babies sleeping on their bellies, how did you do it? Did you roll them onto their bellies once they were asleep? Or did you let them fall asleep on their bellies?

I think I might give it a try but I think if I put them on their bellies then they would think it was the rolling over game but what happens if they do wake up and they are on their belly, are they frightened or do they want to play? I am so confused!

Thanks!!

2. rensejk

rensejk Well-Known Member

Mine sleep on their tummies but we have always laid them down on their back. At around 8 months, they started rolling onto their tummies during sleep. For a long time, we would go in and flip them back to their backs, but eventually we gave up.

3. 2Cairns

2Cairns Well-Known Member

Same here, they move around too much and like sleeping on their tummies at times, so we eventually stopped flipping them around.

4. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

mine sleep on their bellies. in the beginning when they'd roll over on their tummies they'd wake up and whine. it sucked having to constantly go in there to flip them. we finally gave up. and now they almost instantly flip over onto their bellies. just like mommy :)

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Mine slept elevated on their tummies from very early on due to reflux. They did seem to go a bit longer once I did that. And even now that they can roll, they mostly prefer their tummies and sides.

6. becky5

becky5 Guest

I put them to sleep on their backs, and if they happened to roll over, I let them stay that way.

7. clkafka

clkafka Well-Known Member

I put them down on their bellies after nursing when are not yet in a deep sleep. When I lay them down, they turn their heads from side to side and do a little fussing and then go to sleep. But I have been putting them on their bellies from 5 weeks old (gasp!).

8. belinda07

belinda07 Well-Known Member

I had to start making DD sleep on her belly when she was about 2.5 months old. (flat head rectification) I just layed her down. She is used to it now and because of it she has a very strong neck. When she wakes up she just props up on her elbows and looks around. lol. She is very active though and can end up anywhere in her cot if she gets the chance.

9. meliz812

meliz812 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(becky5 @ Apr 24 2008, 07:32 PM) [snapback]738003[/snapback]
    I put them to sleep on their backs, and if they happened to roll over, I let them stay that way.

Same here!

10. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

My boys start out on their backs, but since they've learned to roll- they always end up on their bellies.

11. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

While I was still on maternity leave, I discovered the joy of 4 hr naps while my boys were on their tummies :). They also could put THEMSELVES to sleep that way, so I stuck with it for all naps, but they had to sleep on their backs at bedtime (I panicked putting them on their tummies when I couldn't watch them). When we started daycare at 10 weeks, there was NO tummy sleeping, so the boys had to adapt to sleeping on their backs for naps again. It took a while, but they got it. Somewhere around 6-7 mos, Aiden started rolling to his tummy & I just left him. He sleeps on his back, his tummy, his side...whatever. Conner is a back sleeper now. I've tried flipping him to his tummy (in attempts to get him to nap longer), only to rile him up & get him mad. So, now he's my back sleeper!

I think each kid wants what they want. You can try tummy sleeping, but it may be something they may have to 'discover' on their own. I think babies sleeping on their tummies with their little butts in the air is just the cutest thing ;)......