Another aggrivating excuse for not breastfeeding...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Don2worrybhappy, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Don2worrybhappy

Don2worrybhappy Well-Known Member

I do hear a lot of women use the excuse that they just didn't produce enough milk to breastfeed their child. In fact, my own grandmother and mother used this excuse. My grandmother had 5 children, my mother 3, no twins for either of them. I talked to my mother for the first time in a few years when the babies were 5 months old. She knew I breastfed my older two girls for a year each and she asks me, "So, you're bottlefeeding this time, right?" I proudly said, "No, I'm breastfeeding."

Anyways, I've also heard many moms who had their second or third baby say that they can't breastfeed because they don't have the time to sit down and nurse because they have a 2 or 3 y/o to run after. Even to bottlefeed, you'd have to sit down and feed him/her at least until they can hold the bottle themselves. Have any of you heard this excuse? I think bottlefeeding would take more time because you have to buy the formula, make the bottle, clean the bottles.

I wish that more women would just give it a chance for at least 6 weeks. Cuz, usually by that time, baby latches well, your milk supply is established, and you're past nipple soreness.

2. Don2worrybhappy

Don2worrybhappy Well-Known Member

I do hear a lot of women use the excuse that they just didn't produce enough milk to breastfeed their child. In fact, my own grandmother and mother used this excuse. My grandmother had 5 children, my mother 3, no twins for either of them. I talked to my mother for the first time in a few years when the babies were 5 months old. She knew I breastfed my older two girls for a year each and she asks me, "So, you're bottlefeeding this time, right?" I proudly said, "No, I'm breastfeeding."

Anyways, I've also heard many moms who had their second or third baby say that they can't breastfeed because they don't have the time to sit down and nurse because they have a 2 or 3 y/o to run after. Even to bottlefeed, you'd have to sit down and feed him/her at least until they can hold the bottle themselves. Have any of you heard this excuse? I think bottlefeeding would take more time because you have to buy the formula, make the bottle, clean the bottles.

I wish that more women would just give it a chance for at least 6 weeks. Cuz, usually by that time, baby latches well, your milk supply is established, and you're past nipple soreness.

3. Jello717

Jello717 Well-Known Member

I wanted to quit a few times because I thought bottles would be easier because at least then someone else could help. But I'm glad I stuck with it because now I think it's easier to breastfeed. Whenever one is hungry I imagine having to get up, get a bottle, make formula, etc and am so glad I decided to keep going.

4. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I've ff before and bfing is wayyyyyyyyy easier! FF can get to be a big hassle with the cleaning, making formula and heating bottles. With bfing all you have to do is lift shirt, unsnap bra and latch baby. Voila, it's the perfect temp, no real clean-up and it's really good stuff!

5. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

I've heard that one before, and I just don't get it. There is no way it could be easier from a time stand point.

6. Melis

Melis Well-Known Member

I ff my first dd b.c she was adopted. I actually looked into bf her even though she was adopted but we were match up too quickly and was unable to do so in time. I agree that bf is way easier! No bottles, no warming and no formula to worry about running out of. I too wish women would give it a chance. If you get though the first couple of weeks it really gets to be easier. Now that the girls are 7 months old it has really become a joy! I think I love it as much as them. I am going to be really sad when it ends.....

7. 2IrishBlessings

2IrishBlessings Well-Known Member

I had to both bottle feed (EBM of course) and breastfeed, Shae after recieving a bottle in the NICU never wanted my breasts, and let me say WHOA was having Irelynd take it staright from the source so much easier. I never found anything easier about giving bottles.

8. greymom

greymom Well-Known Member

I think it's mostly lack of information. A lot of moms don't understand the supply and demand of breastfeeding. Or they misinterpret fussiness as hunger, so they assume they don't have enough milk. They end up supplementing because they are afraid the baby is hungry, and then their milk supply really does decrease.

So I don't think it's necessarily an excuse, but misinterpretation of the circumstances, IMO.

Michelle