And our new Winter Book of the Month is . . .

Discussion in 'General' started by Mama_Kim, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Y'all had better start reading now. It's a long one! Thanks for voting!! Happy Reading!!

2. Mama_Kim

I just put a hold on this at the library. I am #74 in the queue. :(

3. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

Better than me...I'm #237.

4. caba

caba Banned

Ohhh ... I'm winning ... I'm 6 at my library!

5. Marieber

6. swp0525

swp0525 Well-Known Member

I'm number 37, but there are 40 copies available, so I should get mine sometime over the next two weeks.

7. Babytimes2

Babytimes2 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna have to pass on this one. There is no way in heck that I can commit to reading a book that long...not unless you want to drag this discussion out for months! ;)

And FWIW...those of you who don't want to read The Year of Fog don't know what you're missing! :)

8. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Good thing I got it as a present!

I devoured this book in about a week! Even though it is a long one, if you are a Wally Lamb fan, you will NOT be disappointed. I can't wait to talk about it with you, but it looks like I may have to wait awhile!!!

9. Marieber

I suppose ya'll don't want these updates, but I've LEAPT 17 spaces to #220 -- at this rate, I may have the book in two weeks. Not too bad. In the meantime my hold on "People of the Book" is in. So I guess I'll be reading that first after all. After "Beautiful Children" which is really wonderful so far.

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Off to put it on hold at the library :) I loved She's Come Undone, so I am curious about this book!

11. twinbears

twinbears Well-Known Member

Okay I am in. I have read both She's Come Undone and I know this Much is true and LOVED them both. I actually was looking for this last week at the book store so I guess I will just order it from Amazon. :FIFblush:

12. Marieber

#184... :rolleyes:

13. Mama_Kim

I'm moved up from #74 to #56. :rolleyes:

14. twinbears

I got mine in the mail yesterday. HOLY CRAP is it huge. I knew it was and so was his last book but just getting it I was like :eek: BUT I am anxious to start reading it this week end.

15. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

I'm hoping my mom gets this one for me for my birthday this week! LOL. I was about to put it on hold at my library just in case but remembered that books we check out that have been held for us cannot be renewed after the initial 3 weeks of having it checked out. I don't want to rush through reading it to try to finish in 3 weeks and imagine if I didn't finish! Yikes.

16. twinbears

I have had it for three days and almost half done. I wish I had more time to read I think if I didn't have to work I would be done already :lol:
    I am really enjoying it and hope some of you start to finish to I really need to talk about it :p

17. Marieber

#166. This is painful. <_<

18. Mama_Kim

#44 -- I'm moving up! Secretly I hope it takes a while yet as I have two or three books I'd like to squeeze in first!

19. twinbears

Maybe I should of waited to read it :lol: I am going to be done soon and forget everything :lol: ;)

20. Mama_Kim

QUOTE(twinbears @ Jan 28 2009, 07:28 AM) [snapback]1165347[/snapback]
    Maybe I should of waited to read it :lol: I am going to be done soon and forget everything :lol: ;)

You're just going to be über prepared when the rest of us are finally ready!

21. twinbears

QUOTE(MamaKim @ Jan 28 2009, 01:50 PM) [snapback]1165434[/snapback]
    You're just going to be über prepared when the rest of us are finally ready!

I am thiking I may even have time to re read it. ;)

22. twinbears

I finished friday :huh:

23. Mama_Kim

#35 but I did finish one of the books I wanted to (Mia Tyler's Creating Myself) and am started on another (Laurel Canyon). I seem to be moving up fairly quickly in the queue. It'll probably still be a few weeks though. :eek:

24. Katheryn

Good ol mom! I got the book for my birthday :p . I'm not starting yet though since I'm reading a Nelson DeMille that I can't put down but will start it when I finish. Poor Marie.... I hope your library list moves along fast so we can be reading this one around the same time.

25. alliandre

alliandre Well-Known Member

Can anyone just join in here? Because I just finished reading this and I have no one to talk to about it!

26. Mama_Kim

Sure, it's open to all!! Unfortunately most of us have not had the opportunity to read it yet but twinbears has finished. :D

27. caba

caba Banned

I got my copy and I'm about 100 pages in ... but it's 1000 pages total (large print edition) ... so far I really like it ... but can't talk more until I'm done!

28. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Still waiting...

QUOTE(Katheryn @ Feb 2 2009, 11:11 PM) [snapback]1173736[/snapback]
    Good ol mom! I got the book for my birthday :p . I'm not starting yet though since I'm reading a Nelson DeMille that I can't put down but will start it when I finish. Poor Marie.... I hope your library list moves along fast so we can be reading this one around the same time.

Which one? I have one here waiting.

In the meantime, I am more than halfway through The Year of Fog.

29. caba

caba Banned

QUOTE(moski @ Feb 5 2009, 10:56 AM) [snapback]1177220[/snapback]
    In the meantime, I am more than halfway through The Year of Fog.

How is that? I'm not sure I can emotionally handle a book about a missing child ... that's what it is about right?

30. Marieber

Funny. I'm also reading a runner-up while waiting...and waiting... #131.

I'm reading People of the Book, by Geraldine Brooks and enjoying it quite a bit. I love historical fiction, and this one spans a lot of them in little doses. And she dedicates it "To the Librarians" so...I love her.

31. moski

QUOTE(caba @ Feb 5 2009, 10:58 AM) [snapback]1177227[/snapback]
    How is that? I'm not sure I can emotionally handle a book about a missing child ... that's what it is about right?

It is, and in your state, you might be better off waiting until after the babies come. I haven't really cried reading it, but the possibilities that run through my head at night are endless. I will say that it is a very good book.

32. Katheryn

Year of the Fog sounded good, but a tough one emotionally. I'm not sure that I'll read it.

My DeMille book, Maureen, is The Gold Coast. An older one, but he has the sequel out now, The Gate Keeper, so I'd better read this one first! It's great. I LOVE his writing style.

33. moski

The Gate Keeper is what I have here from my dad. I did read The Gold Coast a few years back.

I finished The Year of Fog around 2 AM. It was so good.

Still waitin' for the Wally Lamb book. Maybe I'll get it by the time we start going down to the Cape in April.

34. caba

caba Banned

I'm not giving anything away, but I have to say, reading through the accounts of the Columbine part of the book was REALLY tough. So terribly sad. I'm digging this book though.

35. alliandre

alliandre Well-Known Member

QUOTE(caba @ Feb 9 2009, 09:30 AM) [snapback]1182731[/snapback]
    I'm not giving anything away, but I have to say, reading through the accounts of the Columbine part of the book was REALLY tough. So terribly sad. I'm digging this book though.

I had a really hard time with that too. I was only a couple years out of high school when it happened and it's etched in my brain.