Amnio and results and need some postive comments

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jojosie, May 24, 2009.

1. jojosie

jojosie Member

Hi- I started contracting and dilated to a 2 and my blood pressure went high so I of course got admitted on Friday (I was 34 w 4 days) so they got everything calmed down and did the amnio on Sat which came back negative for the girl's lungs being mature. MY dr is going to the Grand Caymans the first week in June and we REALLY hoped he would c/s (babies are breech) before he left which he was for if the amnio was positive.

My question: how long does it take lungs to mature? I definitely don't want them to do NICU time if they are not ready- but I also have a TERRIBLE case of PUPPS ALL over my entire body with no relief....so selfishly I am like "girls get mature asap!"

I am now of course in the hospital on bed rest....

Just need some comfort from those who will understand all my feelings...my poor sweet husband doesn't.

Thanks everyone!

Joanna

2. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

:hug: Joanna ~
    I don't know how long it takes for the lungs to mature unfortunately :(
    I had my amnio at 37.5 weeks (the day before my scheduled c-section) after having the steroid shot a few weeks prior to that which helped their lungs mature.
    Can you talk to your OB & find out what the next step is? When is your next appointment?
    Good luck & hang in there - the longer those little ones are in the better :hug:

3. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry they are not ready! Are they going to give you steroid shots? I had them at 32 weeks and had the boys a week later. They didn't have any lung issues, but were in the NICU for feeding and growing. I hope you get some relief soon!

4. Sarah74

Sarah74 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how long they take to mature, but I had the steroid shot at about 32 weeks. My boys were born at 35 weeks +6 days and one still ended up on oxygen and in the hospital for a week. I hope things work out well for you.

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm sorry the amnio showed their lungs were not matured, I'm not sure how long it take for them to mature. I agree, are they going to give you the steroid shots? Hang in there. :grouphug:

6. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Have you had the steroid shots? That might help!

7. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

Ohhh so sorry you're having this trouble! Hopefully you and your OB can have a chat and see what can be done before he leaves. Good luck!

8. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

The steroid shots are typically not given after 34 weeks as they have not been shown to have any added benefit after that point. Not sure how long lungs take to mature on their own, I would assume each baby is different.

9. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I have no first hand experience with this, I just wanted to send you some :hug:'s. Please keep us updated on how things are doing. :hug:

10. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

:hug: I understand how you feel. Hang in there!

11. dutree123

dutree123 Well-Known Member

I was told that at 34 wks. the lungs are mature.And I have heard of steroid shots doing the job.I had a friend who had her girls at 33wks 6 dys. after having the shots and it work wonders for her girls.I saw in a PP that the shots are not given after 34 wks? So maybe some googling about this and talks with the professionals may be able to ease your mind.Sorry to hear that you are going through this and I hope all is well with you and your babies. :hug:

12. allboys

allboys Well-Known Member

The results of the amnio fetal lung maturity test are reported as a number from 1 to 100. Typically mature is greater than 55. So how long it takes for the lungs to mature depends on how close you are to 55. Some doctors will repeat another amnio in a week to recheck lung maturity.