American Girl Dolls

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by dtomecko, Nov 2, 2014.

1. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

Do they ever have any sales on american girl dolls before the holidays? just wondering if it will make a difference if I wait, or order it now.

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't know if they ever go on sale but I got my daughter one last year on one of those Good Morning America "steals and deals". It was $50 for doll, extra outfit and book:). I would never have bought her one vs a knockoff if it hadn't been marked down so much. Keep your eyes open!:)

3. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've never seen a sale.  You can get free shipping at times.  Usually the cyber Monday sale is more outfits and accessories.

Marissa

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've never seen an American Girl sale around the holidays myself. If you are not keen on spending that much for a doll, try the Target My Generation dolls.  I've heard good things about those dolls as well.

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

They have sales but it's typically once or twice a year on a couple things and it's sold out in minutes. I got my daughter a knock off from Kohls and it's held up well, and I paid maybe $15 for it.

6. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

new question: does the hair on the curly haired dolls get ruined when you comb it or try to style it?  I ordered the lightest blonde doll I could find.  When I got it, she looked a lot more tan then expected!  And her hair has a little wave to it and doesn't seem long enough to really braid or anything.  So I called to see if they had a doll that was more fair.  They didn't, but sent one with long curly blonde hair just to see.  It's the same coloring, but the hair is much longer.  It looks like you can do more with it.  But since it's curly, I'm afraid if she tries to comb it or anything it will ruin it.

7. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The curly hair is harder to keep nice. 

Marissa

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, the curly haired ones are harder to keep nice.  My daughter has a curly haired one.  I use a pick and water to comb it, but what I did was braid the hair and keep it that way.  

9. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Even the one with the wavy hair is difficult to keep nice. We have one straight haired doll, and one wavy hair one that needs a head replacement because of her permanent bed head problem.

10. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

We have a wavy hair AG doll and haven't had too many problems with it. But Reagan usually puts the doll's hair in a ponytail or pigtails so that might be why.

11. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

The Journey Girl dolls from ToysRUs or the MyGeneration from Target are AS nice, 1/3rd the price and last just as long.  I was going to get Abby one for Christmas and then I saw the price went up to $129.  Fuhgeddaboutit

12. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

DD got one of the Kohls knock offs last year and she's still going strong! And I paid like $15 for her!