American Girl Dolls - hairstyling

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by dtomecko, Mar 12, 2014.

1. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

My daughter has been into styling hair, using foam rollers and clips and stuff.  I thought about getting her one of those barbie heads with the hair accessories and makeup for her birthday, but the reviews on them are all so bad.  So I wondered if the hair on the American Girl dolls can be styled, or is it too delicate and not easy to work with?  I'm hesitant to spend the money on one.  My kids play with stuffed animal "babies" all the time, but not too much with dolls.  I asked her today if she knew about American Girl dolls and she said she would love to have one.  I'm just not really sure what you do with it and if it's worth the money.  But I figured I'd start looking into it to see what the hype is all about.

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What about the my generation from target?

3. ljcrochet

4. dtomecko

definitely looks better price-wise!  I never heard of these, but I haven't really shopped for dolls in awhile.  it's really more about the hair, so I like the accessories you posted.  Do you know anything about the quality?  Not looking for a keepsake thing she'll have forever, but do you know if the hair can be brushed without the comb getting stuck in it or falling out in clumps? :)

5. ljcrochet

I think if she used the special doll hair brush you could.

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

With the American Girls dolls, they do have a special brush or comb (depending on the kind of hair your doll has-curly or straight) that you order separately with styling accessories (also separate).  For my daughter's doll, I use a wide tooth comb to brush it but it would probably be easier with their comb.  
    Not sure about the My Generation dolls and how their hair is...but I would imagine it can be styled as well.

7. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We have something similar to the Target Dolls and the price for value is great. They style the hair- ponytails, foam rollers, braids,. Dont use heat (hair dryer) and you should be OK. We use a baby brush and wide comb to style doll hair.

8. 2 Munchkins

2 Munchkins Well-Known Member

You can do all kinds of hairstyles with the AG dolls, but should use their brushes. They even have their own hair salon in their stores, and you can make an appointment for the doll. Don't know about the Next Generation Dolls from Target.

9. dtomecko

The reviews on the Target dolls look pretty bad, with descriptions of limbs falling off when the child tries to dress the doll!  What brand do you have?

10. ljcrochet

My girls used to have 2 of the target dolls that they got as gift  Not as good quality as the american girl doll but overall not bad.  

They had a friend who came over to play who broght her target doll, and when they were playing if you didn't know which was an american girl doll, at a glance you could not tell.

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

If you decide to get ag dolls, get the ones with straight hair. We have one doll with straight and one with wavy, and the straight hair is sooooo much easier to style. At this point I may send Ana's wavy hair doll to the doll hospital for a new head because the wavy hair is so tangled and frizzy and out of control. And yes get the doll brush too!