Amber teething necklaces- anyone use these?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Jordari, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

I have a few friends who have them, most of whom are European; they are literally tiny necklaces made of baltic amber which has alledged analgesic properties. They fit rather snugly around a baby's neck and are knotted between each bead so if somehow the strand breaks they don't scatter (or allow for a major swallow)

anybody try these?

2. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I know some people who swear by them, and I've contemplated getting some but I'm still paranoid about the whole choking factor, especially since I have twins. We're still in the throes of putting everything in their mouths.... I can easily see one child grabbing and trying to eat the necklace on the other baby's neck. Multiple choking possibilities there. So, I've abstained. Let us know how they go if you get some! I have been so curious about them.

3. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I used amber teething bracelets and they were great. I don't know about the analgesic properties (because how do you ask a seven month old, really?), but they seemed to work. The beads were knotted on wonderfully and my girls pulled, threw, gnawed on, etc. with no damage to the bracelets.

I'm not a fan of plastic, so I had these and some wooden teething rings. My girls definately preferred the amber over the wood.

4. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

I would be too nervous about putting anything around my babies' necks.

5. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I had one with Dax and it seemed to work but I wouldn't guarantee it. I think I would be hesitant to use it with the twins though because they may grab each other's necklaces. You aren't supposed to leave them on during naptimes so there really isn't a danger there but you know that babies can grab quite quickly.

6. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(fuchsiagroan @ Jun 2 2008, 11:46 AM) [snapback]805290[/snapback]
    I would be too nervous about putting anything around my babies' necks.

I agree. Necklaces do not belong around a baby's neck. And even if one bead got loose, it is such a choking hazard. I find it hard to believe that there is some mysterious power that is transferred from the amber to the baby that reduces teething pain.

I have also heard of peppercorn necklaces for teething babies. Once again, I think it's a choking hazard.

7. Cma

Cma Well-Known Member

I have two for my twins. The ones I got are a nice enough size that it cannot get entangled in anything. These are really effective too.....I forget to put em on regularly but I do when they are teething bad (they are getting molars so its very painful) and I do see definite difference in there crankiness and drooling.