alright moms of boys does my son pee an abnormal amount or what?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by AimeeThomp, Jan 16, 2012.

1. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I get all my diapers from Amazon. I used to always get Huggies b/c they were the only overnighters. But now Pampers has an overnight that's cheaper, so I ordered a huge pack of 72 I believe. They are the worst diapers ever! Almost every morning Cooper wakes up covered in the crystals from his diaper. It is a horrible start to his morning. I have to put him straight in the tub and he screams the entire time until he's in clean clothes. I have tried putting an overnight maxi pad in the diaper and that doesn't help at all, it still explodes! He is a very lusty drinker and apparently has a lot of urine. Yesterday I had enough of it and re-ordered the Huggies even though I have more than half of the Pampers left. I also wrote a letter of complaint to Pampers today. Diapers aren't cheap and I am sick and tired of cleaning up those crystals! So I'm wondering, anyone else have this same experience or is just Coop the monster drinker? ETA: Tonight I have taken one of my leftover maternity pads from the hospital and put it in his diaper. If that diaper still explodes tonight, nothing is going to work!

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Royce was the same way. Pampers Overnights were terrible, we used Huggies overnights, and Pampers during the day.

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hmm, my Luvs sometimes leave crystals. I've never really thought too much about it- I just wipe them down first thing every morning and change them. Is he STTN? If not do you do a mid evening change?

4. AimeeThomp

Oh yes, he is a long sleeper. I put him down between 7 - 8 pm and he sleeps til 7 - 8 am without a peep. You must not have had an explosion like this, Michelle. I swear half of the diaper is in his pajamas. I have to go pour his pajamas over the trashcan. It's disgusting and uncomfortable for him. He freaks out when he wakes up.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How much does he drink before bed? We had the same problem with Luke (except I would not call him a big drinker) and he usually wound up peeing through the diaper. Babies R Us used to sell diaper doublers that worked great (not sure if they got them back) but I tried maxi pads which helped when he got older but I also used these that were also very effective.
    Good luck!

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh no- nothing like that. Poor buddy!

7. AimeeThomp

I am trying to get him to stop drinking before bed but he loves a bedtime bottle. He drinks a full sippy of milk with dinner and then a watered down bottle before bed. I give him six to seven ounces of water with two scoops of formula. Thanks for that link Nancy I hadn't seen those before.

8. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My guys went through a phase like that.. it was ridiculous how much liquid was in their diapers at night. We switched to huggies overnights and I would often change them around 11 pm before I went to bed so that they wouldn't wake up soaked. I also cut back the liquids and wouldn't give them anything after supper time and that seemed to help a bit, although sometimes I'd have them waking to be fed in the middle of the night.

9. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

Just another thought..... We are not spoiled for choice when it comes to overnight diapers and can only get Pampers. Somebody on the forum suggested that I use a waterproof over the diaper when I had a problem with leaking diapers and it has worked like a charm. This will not help for the explosion of crystals, but will at least contain it.

Wish my kids slept like yours!

Keep us posted.

10. AimeeThomp

I'm waiting for him to wake up now. Nancy, those tranquility pads, are they made for babies or adults? Just wondering if I should get the mini size or regular.

11. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Ya know, I remember using Pampers almost exclusively with the twins and never having a problem with them. With Josh however, even he can explode the Pampers and I've had to clean up crystals a lot. And at maximum, he goes 4-5 hours between changes. I switched back to Huggies. Maybe they are making them differently these days??

12. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I think Huggies are better also, plus the smell in the Pampers bothers me. Being that I have a boy and a girl the same age I notice the difference between them from that point of view. He pees MUCH more than she does, so at times I wonder if there's a problem with one of them, then I think maybe it's normal that boys pee more... who knows? Maybe I should ask their pediatrician...?

13. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We had this problem for a long time.....I tried everything. Every kind of overnite diapers (including pulls ups), two diapers, waterproof covers over the diapers, etc. I was so sick of changing sheets every morning!!

The waterproof covers did help some, but what really helped was limiting their water between dinner and bed - I make sure they get no more than 1/2 a sippy cup each. And also, someone on here told me to try folding down the top portion of the diaper and then fastening it, and that makes a big difference, too. And of course make sure the penis is pointed down.

14. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

you also may want to consider going up a size in the diapers...regardless of his weight, when mine would start exploding diapers I knew it was time to go up a size...

15. LoriD

LoriD Member

I just logged on to ask the same exact question... so glad to see it already posted! My two boys are 22-months and for the past month EVERY SINGLE morning they are completely soaked through. I always use the Huggies Overnight diapers and never had a problem until a month ago. I thought that just meant I needed to go up a size at night, so I ordered a box of 5's and no help at all. ARGH. I also tried the Pampers Overnight diapers and they are TERRIBLE. Like you, I now have a mostly full box of them in the closet that are worthless as far as I can tell. I like your idea of complaining to the company!

My boys are not big drinkers. It's almost like they save up the urine for the night or something! They do drink a glass of milk with dinner at 6pm and are in bed by 7pm, sleeping until 7am. We have tried changing them when we go to bed around 10 or 10:30, but they are hardly even wet at all at that time, so it doesn't prevent the soaking through problem. And I'm not about to get up in the middle of the night just to change them... guess I'll take the soaking wet pj's and bedding before I give up my sleep. :)

Sorry I don't have any suggestions, but wanted you to know that you are not alone!!

16. AimeeThomp

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. My friends don't believe me when I say that in my experience boys have a lot more urine than girls! I went on the Pampers website and sent in my complaint and they responded by sending me 3 $10 off coupons. So it was worth the time it took me to write the complaint. Their representative said that there is no reason why the diaper should be exploding like that. She said it's normal to see a few of the crystals on their skin from time to time, but not the covered from head to toe, have to pour out his jammies over the trash can like I described. When he woke up this morning his diaper had not exploded, I'm sure due to the maternity pad in it. I can't wait for those Huggies to get here.

17. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I believe they are adult size and I ordered the regular. I am glad the maternity pad helped and that pampers is sending you coupons!