Almost 4 1/2 and still dealing with separation anxiety

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cjk2002, Apr 21, 2012.

1. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I am at a loss. We just got back from "trying" to go to our neighbors birthday party. She is in my DS's class at preschool. My other DS is still there having a great time with the other kids. But as I type this, my other DS is laying on my bed.

He's fine at school, but anywhere else if I leave, a major meltdown will happen. I've been with my BF for 2 years now. Things were great late last year. I would say "I'm going to the store" and he would respond "Bye mom, see you later". Then all of a sudden we're back to him screaming and not wanting anyone else but me.

I'll be honest, it's getting old. I am constantly on stress alert anytime I need to go somewhere. Last week I had a Dr's appointment and I told him. He started screaming "no" ran to my car and got into his carseat. BF took him out, which made him scream even louder and he brought him in the house because we did not want the neighbors to have to deal with it. He said it took him a good 30 minutes to calm down. He finally got him back outside to play.

Tonight BF's nephew (he's 18) is coming over to watch them and put them to bed because we are going to a concert. He did this when things were good in December and it went great. But after what just happened, I'm not so sure tonight is a good idea.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I never thought I'd be dealing with this with an almost 4 1/2 year old.

2. PJ

PJ Well-Known Member

One of my guys just went through a separation anxiety stage that lasted about 2 months. He is just coming out of it now. He still only wants me but I can now leave him with places or go places without him freaking out. I don't know what happened to cause it but was very frustrating! Something just seemed to click one day and he seems OK again now.