Allergic to sunblock?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by megkc03, May 17, 2010.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We were outside today, so I covered up all three kids with sunblock on their faces. It's the Coppertone Babies one, 50 SPF. I used the same kind last year. So the day goes on, they take a nap, and Anthony is red when he wakes up. I don't really notice it-as I think it's just warmth from napping. He went outside with dh and I looked at his face and couldn't believe it! Looks like he has a sunburn! It looks awful!

I put it on all three kids, and he's the only one who had a reaction. Then I looked and saw that there was an expiration date(March 2010), so maybe that's it? I don't know. It went in the trash though. So-what should I try using? I'll attach a photo and you can see. The lotion went on at say 10/11am and this was taken just a few minutes ago at 8pm!

Photo 1

Photo 2

2. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

He looks exactly like my girls did when I put on the coppertone sunblock stick on the girls' faces. I had used a sunblock stick before with good results, but when I bought a new stick by coppertone and used it on their faces just a few weeks ago it did the exact same thing. I immediately stopped using it. I used coppertone lotion sunblock with no problems, but for some reason the stick just was all bad for them.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My son has pretty sensitive skin, so I usually use Aveeno sunblock for him or J&J Baby Daily Face & Body Lotion w/ SPF 40. Does the rash bother him at all?
    Poor little dude :hug:

4. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

Poor guy!! I have 3 with sensitive skin and we use the Aveeno with no problems. GL!

5. megkc03

Thanks ladies! As for sensitive skin, I suppose you could say so. He doesn't get syrup often, and sometimes you will see a small red patch where it touched his face. But it goes away relatively quickly. That's about the only thing I can think of. Sometimes if it's a new food and it touches his skin, he might have a reaction. Otherwise, he hasn't had any other issues. It doesn't bother him at all. I'll check on him before I go to bed. It sohuld hopefully be gone by the morning!

And thanks for the rec's Nancy on sunblock. I'll check them out!

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm not sure what to recommend Meaghan, but he sure is a cutie, even with a red face! And it doesn't look like it was bothering him too much, so that's good!

7. megkc03

Aww thanks! :wub: He is quite the ham if I do say so myself! And it wasn't bothering him one bit! I don't even think he knew!

8. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

My oldest son cannot use ANY sunscreen. He reacts to every one we have tried including prescription from a dermatologist. We think it may actually be the active ingrediants. I hope you can find something to use on him. He can use Aveeno's everyday lotion that is free from dyes and perfumes. They have great products.

9. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Yep, I would say allergy. Try using a hypoallergenic lotion on his face and neck and see if that helps.

10. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

I second Aveeno. Mattie is extremely sensitive to most lotions, creams, and washes and we have never had a problem with it.

He is a cutie pie. :wub:

11. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Is it sunburned or just red from the sunscreen? I personally can't use sunscreens with PABA, they just don't work on me and let the sun burn me to a crisp. Regardless, I too will be trying the aveeno one!

12. megkc03

I believe it was a reaction from the sunscreen. All three had the same amount of sunscreen, and only he ended up with the redness. It's just about gone today. I went to Target and bought some Aveeno sunblock. I hope that does the trick!

13. hugdarla

hugdarla Member

All three of my kids have reactions to pretty much every brand we have tried, even Aveeno. Waterbabies pure and simple is usually okay and the waterbabies stick works for faces. Good luck. I really hope they grow out of this!

14. sghaley

sghaley Well-Known Member

My DS had awful reactions to several sunscreens when she was younger. But only on her face. We used California baby and it was great. IT's expensive, though. I had other mom's at daycare sample it for their kids who had reactions and it worked for them too. I would try aveeno first, since it's less expensive. If that doesn't work, try California Baby. It's harder to find too. We had to buy it at whole foods.

poor little guy! I'm glad it's not bothering him.

15. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

We're going through this with Mason this summer as well. He was fine with any of them last year too. First you can spot test the sunscreens without slathering it all over them. I put a little dab right in front of his ear and wait to see if there is a reaction. Sometimes it's in a couple of hours and sometime it's the next morning.

I have ruled out a ton of them for Mason (Neutrogena Baby, Aveeno, Bullfrog, Coppertone, Banana Boat Kids) and have only been using the California Baby Sensitive the last few weeks. They sell it at our Target or you can get it online. It has been absolutely wonderful the last few weeks to not have to worry about burning or reaction! We are in Florida so it's a necessity almost daily right now. It's very expensive though.

There are two types of sunscreen, chemical and physical and I *think* after the California baby that he might be ok with any of the physical only sunscreens. Johnson and Johnson has a new one that has the same active ingredient as the California Baby. I bought it because it was much cheaper, but I haven't spot tested it yet.

Also, just wanted to mention the first couple of times with the reaction it was only his face. So, I put the good sunscreen only on his face and arms (in case he touched his face) thinking the skin must be more sensitive there and still sprayed his legs. The second time I did this his legs broke out too.

Good luck! This has been very difficult for us. As for the reaction. Benedryl gel seems to soothe it a little quicker than nothing, but mostly Mason doesn't seem bothered by it either.

16. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

Conner reacted just like that last summer (except it was redder & it was his arms, too). It was to the sunscreen we had used the summer before (the pink Coppertone bottle) & was actually the bottle from the previous summer. It wasn't expired, but it looked horrible. So, I bought Banana Boat & they did fine with it. No issues at all.

This summer DH bought the sunscreen & bought Coppertone again (not the pink one, though). So far, no reactions.

Aiden has sensitive skin, so I was quite worried he'd end up with expensive sunscreen. Instead of going straight to Aveeno or California Baby, I just switched brands & it worked for us. I see you've already bought the Aveeno, but if it runs out...maybe try something else.

Good luck! I spend so much time scouring the sunscreen aisle & really like our current stuff (except that I can't wash it off my hands after I apply it to them...it bubbles up like I'm slathered in Vaseline!). Hope the Aveeno works well for you!

17. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

I looked & ours this year is Coppertone Kids Pure & Simple...oil, fragrance, & dye free! Waterproof & tear free, too! We love it!