All HAIL Mickey Mouse!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by dfaut, Jun 14, 2007.

1. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

So, my DS was TOTALLY rejecting meat and DD was warming up to it so tonight I formed turkey meat into MICKEY SHAPES!!! (Like you would a pancake or something) THEY SCARFED IT AND ARE HAVING MORE AFTER THE FACT!!! I put them in a pan with some teriyaki sauce on them and we have a hit!! :a_smil09: :a_smil09: :a_smil09: :a_smil09: I am SOOOOO happy!!!

2. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

haha that's too funny!!

I wish I could do that with Vegetables!!

amanda

3. noahandjacobsmom

noahandjacobsmom Well-Known Member

Disney....they have a monopoly on everything our children do. :D

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(noahandjacobsmom @ Jun 14 2007, 09:08 PM) [snapback]292776[/snapback]
    Disney....they have a monopoly on everything are children do. :D

:laughing: That is so true. Glad they liked it!

5. rheamay

rheamay Well-Known Member

what a fantastic idea! WTG mommy!

6. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

GREAT IDEA, Diane!!! Good for them! :a_smil09:

7. bridget nanette

bridget nanette Well-Known Member

Yea Diane!!! I know, my twins don't like meat too much either. Michael acts like I am poisoning him! Mickey Mouse! What a great idea!!

Bridget :a_smil09: :a_smil09:

8. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

That's too funny! Hey, whatever works!! :D

9. rosie19

rosie19 Well-Known Member

Wow! What a clever idea. I may have to try that since my kids will not any meat other than hot dogs.

(Disney's marketing department would be doing a happy dance :banana: if they heard about that one)

10. fourznuff

fourznuff Well-Known Member

You are a clever girl! ;) <-----imagine this guy with mouse ears

-Kimberly

11. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

that is too funny! I can remember refusing to eat my PB sandwich unless my mom drew a heart shape in the PB. Kids are very particular :)

We also mix up meat/veggies in mashed potatoes or add meat in beans...that usually gets it down without any argument. (I will say my kids aren't that picky about meat, but don't have a lot of teeth so meat is still a challenge).

12. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

That's a great idea Diane!

13. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the tip Diane! Mine have been kind of picky lately with meat.

14. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

Great idea! That worked for me too! But....kids are fickle. After a few meals the novelty of Mickey will grow old. When my girls got tired of my original Mickey Mouse shape, I bought a bunch of cookie cutters & I let them shoose what shape they want their food in. I use ground organic turkey to make burgers, BBQ meatloaf, Thai meatballs, etc - they eat better when they get some entertainment value out of the meal!

I posted a while back about my selection of waffle makers. To encourage the girls to eat waffles I have a circus waffle iron - it makes lion, elephant, tent & clown shapes, Pooh & tigger, Cinderella's coach, Mickey & Minnie Mouse, Roses, round & square. I have pancake molds in the shapes of butterflies, dragonflies, hats, shoes, purses, hearts & flowers.

Anything to get them to eat!

15. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I wish I had more shapes, but I think I only have snowflakes and a heart shape!! I'll put those to use next!!

I don't have trouble with waffles etc., meat and veggies!! Maybe I can mash the veggies into a shape that they'll eat!! FAT CHANCE OF THAT!! :rotflmbo:

16. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

You are a genius! I will have to try that with salmon patties too!!!

17. Disney has a line of food out. They even have cheese in mickey mouse shapes. We get them all the time with the Mickey mouse shaped hamburgers

18. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

LOL. I'm glad you found the trick to getting them to eat. :D I guess there is something to those kids cookbooks where everything is in a special shape.

19. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Member

QUOTE(~* dfaut *~ @ Jun 16 2007, 01:50 PM) [snapback]294913[/snapback]
    I don't have trouble with waffles etc., meat and veggies!! Maybe I can mash the veggies into a shape that they'll eat!! FAT CHANCE OF THAT!! :rotflmbo:

For veggies, what I do is just take the raw veggies and cut them into little flat shapes. Things like tomatoes, carrets, and lettuce work best, things that are easily made flat. Then, they can use the peices to make little pictures, like mosaics. My kiddos love this. You can also add in peices of cheese or meat for more little shapes. One of my kids' favorite things to make it a sun using a peice of Amerian cheese cut into a circle and little slices of carrot (cut the long way, then cut into peices depending on the length you want) for the sunrays.

Hope this works!

PS- I'm going to try the Mickey Mouse idea! Very clever!

20. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

QUOTE(smplymarvelous1 @ Jun 18 2007, 09:30 AM) [snapback]296702[/snapback]
    Disney has a line of food out. They even have cheese in mickey mouse shapes. We get them all the time with the Mickey mouse shaped hamburgers

I've bought those and they ate some of them. The Mickey shaped Ravioli are terrible tasting, so they didn't like that and they don't microwave well either (for the urgent need)..... That's where I got the idea!

21. rosie19

rosie19 Well-Known Member

It didn't work at my house! Grrr! I even printed out a picture of the Micky logo before dinner so I was sure that they could identify the symbol. I held the paper near the burger and they yelled "Mickey, Mickey." When I put it on their plates, they politely handed it back to me and said "No, Mickey." :rolleyes:

22. Whoa Mama

Whoa Mama Well-Known Member

Hi Di! Glad you found a trick that works! Mine will eat any kind of meat as long as I call it chicken. So, their main protein sources come from: chicken, fishy chicken, piggy chicken, pot roast chicken (which Lauren calls "pop roast chicken"), meat loaf chicken, etc. :pardon: Hey, whatever works!

Their FAVORITE lunch right now is turkey and lettuce sandwiches. All 3 kids love lettuce- I think because of the crunch.