Ali could have lost her hand today

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by dfaut, Oct 6, 2007.

1. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

[SIZE=12pt]Most of you are aware that we have had a less than perfect transition to toddler beds. Well, things had been going fairly smoothly and today (OVER TIRED AND WIRED!) they were playing up stairs and DH and I were having lunch and watching Friday Night Lights (we went out last night and the kids were up LATE!). I heard them come out and Ali was up there saying "Mommy, good nap!" (they didn't sleep yet).

So I march up there and shoo them into their room and she turns around and says "Mommy, my hand is gone!" I look and it's
    [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]BLUE!!!! I grab her arm and she had about 10 little tiny hair rubberbands around her wrist!! (I'm getting upset just typing this!) They hadn't been getting into the drawers, and I didn't hear them do it (had the tv on) so she was playing with them and just kept adding them to her arm!

The overwhelming thought I had was "What if she had layed down and gone to sleep?!" I would have NEVER known and she probably would have LOST HER HAND! It's just terrifying and I cannot stop the WHAT IF!

I KNOW!!!!! IT all turned out FINE! I have the rubber bands LOCKED in a cabinet! I know it's all ok and it could have been worse, but I kept crying because of the 'what if's'. NOW, she keeps telling me (because she knows I reacted the first time) "Mommy my hand's gone". It's functioning fine (I've been studying it) and the color is back and she's otherwise back to normal.

That was scary!!! I'm going to cry about it one more time and let it go! :hug99:

[/SIZE]

2. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

One of our ECI therapists said one of their clients lost a toe as a baby b/c a thread was wrapped around his toe inside his sleeper :( I'm SO glad you saw!

3. thea7

thea7 Well-Known Member

Diane,
    How scary!!! I'm so glad you looked at her hand in time.

thea

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Diane, how scary!!! I'm glad everything turned out okay. It's okay to cry about it!! :hug99:

5. prairiemom3

prairiemom3 Well-Known Member

This happened with my sister one time, I remember my mom telling the story and she was just like you are!! Scary!!

6. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Thanks ladies! It's hard to tell our mis-steps and accidents, but if it helps anyone, then.......I'm happy to share! :hug99: You guys are the best!

7. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

YIKES! How scary for you! I'm so glad she's okay.

8. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

:hug99: this has happened with Ruthies finger! Its too scary! :hug99: Im glad shes ok!

9. dtlyme

dtlyme Well-Known Member

ugh - so scary Diane. Phoebe has done that with the little clear bands i use in her hair. It was a lesson learned. I never put her down for a nap or bed without taking it out of her hair now.

And I am so putting off toddler beds! ugh. Hope it all gets better soon for you with that. And so glad Ali is alright. take a deep deep breath!

10. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That is scary!
    Dani is always pulling the hair bands out of her hair and putting them on her wrists, I will have to make sure she is only doing it with the terry ones (they are bigger)

11. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

That is so scary! I am so glad things worked out well. Poor baby! Poor Mommy!

12. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

I'm so glad it turned out ok! scary, scary, scary!

13. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

That is scary!!! I will be a little more vigilant about that stuff.

14. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

Yikes! Glad she came down to let you know she was done with her nap, aren't you?

What kind of hairbands were they? I ask because we are still using the tiny, tiny clear ones. After being in DD's all day, I throw them out because they actually lose their elasticity. I'm sure she's even ingested a few since I come in after naps and it is missing.

15. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

QUOTE(first_second_and_last @ Oct 7 2007, 09:43 AM) [snapback]439307[/snapback]
    Yikes! Glad she came down to let you know she was done with her nap, aren't you?

What kind of hairbands were they? I ask because we are still using the tiny, tiny clear ones. After being in DD's all day, I throw them out because they actually lose their elasticity. I'm sure she's even ingested a few since I come in after naps and it is missing.

I have the multi-colored really small one's. I don't know what brand they are. Probably Scunci. You have NO IDEA how happy I am that she came out of the room!!!

16. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Donia @ Oct 6 2007, 10:57 PM) [snapback]438942[/snapback]
    One of our ECI therapists said one of their clients lost a toe as a baby b/c a thread was wrapped around his toe inside his sleeper :( I'm SO glad you saw!

Someone posted about this back when I was pregnant and it's stuck with me. Yikes!

17. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

OMG!! It's amazing what they think to get into, stuff we wouldn't have imagined would be a hazard. Thank you for the warning, I keep the hair pretties in the bathroom and will keep it like that.

18. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Glad everything turned out okay. It had to be a scary sight to see.

19. veggiehead

veggiehead Well-Known Member

Oh, man! I am so sorry that happened, but I am glad you saw it - wow. Thank you for sharing your story. You have helped a lot of people with this story - it made me think.

20. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

:hug99: I'm glad everything turned out alright!

21. becky5

becky5 Guest

Wow Diane! That is so scary! :hug99:

22. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

OMG - How scary Diane! I'll have to gather mine up - they're everywhere! I wear mine around my wrist all the time, so I can see where they'd get the idea! I'm glad her hand is ok!

23. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

:hug99: I'm so sorry, but at least she was being a typical toddler and trying to get out of nap time.

24. MommyofThreeBoys

MommyofThreeBoys Well-Known Member

Diane,

I am glad everything turned out okay...It is okay to cry, I don't think you'd be "normal" if you didn't.

Love, Tara

25. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

OMG Di! How scary! :shok: I would have freaked out! I am glad she is ok. I hope the bed thing goes better soon. :hug99:

26. MamaNell

MamaNell Well-Known Member

Glad she is okay! I know that would have freaked me out too! Kara and Kiley got into their hair bows yesterday during naptime and I noticed a few of those tiny elastic bands in their bed. Could have happened to us too! I moved the hair accessories out of their room! Thanks for sharing!

Nell

27. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

first Diane, :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

Okay, you've totally given me PTSD!!! I don't know if you remember my story when Amelia was a few months old she was screaming ALL night long! I fed her, changed her rocked her, did everything to no avail. at about 7am, dd came in and took babies into her room in the bouncy chairs so dh and I could get a break and dd (about 7 years old) brought Amelia back in about 5 minutes later and said she had a hair around her finger and she couldn't get it off. I was SO TIRED form not getting more than 5 minutes sleep in a row all night. Her thumb looked like a plum!! my hair was so tight around her finger and hand and had been that way all night. That's what she was screaming at!!!!
    It was awful. She almost lost her thumb! The doc said if she had been older she would have lost her thumb. Only because she was so young was it Kay.
    OK, now I feel like a bad mom all over again!!!!

28. ohiomom

ohiomom Well-Known Member

You know what.... I forget about things like this because Lauren is older so I don't remember these things. But I'm certain, she's done something like that and stories like this are a GREAT reminder that we need to be careful and never underestimate a toddler who doesn't want to nap! LOL! Thanks for posting this Diane... Evy is so much more mischevious than Lauren was so this teaches me that I need to remember to be careful with her. I'm so glad Alison is OK and don't feel bad! This is something no one would think of until it happened to them!

29. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh, Diane!! I just saw this. You must have been so scared! I am glad all turned out well, but thanks for the warning.

30. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

How scary Diane! I am glad everything is okay!

31. rosie19

rosie19 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you had such a scare! Thanks for the reminder, though. I've always taken DD's barretts out before naps and bedtime, but if she has hair bands in, I usually only take them out at night. I've always figured she wouldn't be able to get them out on her own and if she did there's not much she could do with them. I was definitely wrong! Thanks for posting this - I will be sure to take the bands out before naps now!

32. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

How scary!!! Zoe had one on her finger once....I'd forgotten to take it out of her hair when she went down for a nap & when she woke up I noticed it on her finger, which by then was blue. I freaked out too & they're up on a shelf now & we just don't use them anymore. DH didn't like them to begin with, he was always worried she'd swallow it and somehow it would get wrapped up in her stomach. I was actually thinking yesterday I should just throw them out, since I'm not using them anymore.

33. Cindy123

Cindy123 Well-Known Member

How scary! :hug99: I am so glad everything turned out okay, and thanks for sharing, I never would have thought about those being a hazard.

34. jamey

jamey Well-Known Member

It's not just you, don't feel bad.

Claire woke up one morning & I noticed her hand was really puffy. I couldn't even see the band, since her skin had come up around it. It wasn't bothering her (she slept with it all night, apparently). When I got the band off, she started crying & told me her hand hurt. Her hand wasn't blue, but the mark was pretty deep. Her wrist was sore & indented for a few days. I felt terrible, too.

35. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Thanks for sharing your stories!!

Alison, I DO remember that story from FY!!

This is what makes TS a great place. We know we aren't alone! :hug99: