Afraid of the dark ?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by 2monkeez, Feb 17, 2008.

1. 2monkeez

2monkeez Well-Known Member

Okay so Matt is petrified of the dark when going to sleep, but the closet light keeps Gavin awake for hours!!! They have 2 nightlights..but that is not enough for Matt. He just had the hugest meltdown...usually we keep the closet light on for 5-10 minutes and then shut it off (Matt is almost always asleep by then) but the last few night he went bolistic..tonight I had to walk out and let DH deal becuase I was at my wits end, I was sure he was going to wake up Grace..he was screaming bloody murder! I feel like the worst mother in the world letting him scream, but I think it's just another stall tactic..but I am not sure! Any suggestions out there? Seperate rooms is not an option...with baby # 4 on the way...we barely have room for her!!!

HELP!!!!!!! :blink:

2. HT

HT Well-Known Member

My 3 1/2 year has just started complaining about being scared and hearing noises in the past couple of weeks. She was crying again tonight about it. I specifically remember being older than her and being terrified of going to bed upstairs. My parents would still make me go up and I would cry for the longest time. Therefore, I let DD come downstairs and put her on the couch in another room. I told her if she got up once she had to go back upstairs. 10 mins later she is sound asleep. I don't have an answer for you, my DD is also good at trying to push back bedtime. A lot of the excuses I can ignore, but since I remember going through this myself, I believed her.

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My Meghan was complaining about the dark a few months back, even with nightlights. At Christmas, we put one of the candles in their window, and it is still there. They also got their own flashlights for Christmas (little tikes) so if the dark does bother her, she can turn it on.

4. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Zack use to be scared of the dark, but the nightlight was keeping Jack up, so I went to walmart and got one of those round smiley face lights that you press on and off, and Zack would hold onto it at night and press it, and keep it on, under his blanket... and that didn't disturb Jack.

5. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

My older DD has decided she is afraid of the dark also. she has a nightlight and a little flashlight that turns on with a trigger(this is esp. nice since it has to be held on, so it doesn't stay on by itself and use up batteries) so if she gets scared she can turn it on also. I told her to shine it on whatever she thought was scary and it would make it go away.
    Good luck I am sure it is just another phase.

6. shannonfilteau

shannonfilteau Well-Known Member

What about the twilight turtle or ladybug to keep some suttle light for your little one and it also goes off after 45 minutes.

7. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Naomi just started to be scared of the dark a little while ago and want all the lights on. Now they have these things: Candeloo. They love them. The light is not very bright, they don't get hot and they are easy to turn on/off (button underneath), also they are rechargeable and as they come in a set of two it meant Luke could have one as well.
    I also like the idea of the torch that needed the button to be held down to work.