Advice to new moms of twins? I'm writing a book about my early experiences

Discussion in 'General' started by annied, Sep 16, 2014.

1. annied

annied Member

I am a mother of identical twins, now ages 5, and used this forum a lot when I was a new mom to twins. I'm writing a book about my early experiences and would like to include some advice or helpful hints to new or expectant moms. I'd like to share some words of wisdom from mothers of twins who have "been there, done that!" and would welcome any advice you would like to pass along. - Ann G.

2. momofangels

momofangels Well-Known Member

Remember to be nice to yourself, not just others.
    Get some sleep!
    Put 'em on a schedule ASAP.
    Get a good camera, you won't remember clearly how cute and funny they were, because life will be too hectic for memories for a while.

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Find support wherever that works for you. I would highly recommend Twinstuff.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm a fan of pragmatic parenting - do what works. ;)

More to the point - hire a postpartum doula. They smooth out all of the hard edges of transitioning to life with two newborns. If you plan to breastfeed, they'll be able to support you in that. If you plan to bottle feed, they'll have all the great tips for feeding two at once. They'll help you figure out your babies's cues, what's normal and what may need more attention, and help you get adequate rest. They'll answer all your questions about your physical and emotional recovery and will listen to your birth story, really listen, no matter how many times you want or need to tell it.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My piece of advice is talk with your spouse or partner beforehand about both of your expectations as a parent.  Accept help when offered and don't be afraid to ask for help too.
    Definitely get the babies on a schedule would be my other piece of advice.

6. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

The best advise came from my pediatrician.  He told me to feed them every 4 hours during the day--but let them wake us at night.  As a result we had a schedule early, and great sleepers.

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This did not work for my breastfed babies who needed to eat 8-10/11 times per day. I did feed then together every 2 hours during the day (excluding growth spurts) and every 3 at night.

1 person likes this.
  8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Depending on if your babies are preemies letting them wake you at night might not be an option too.  Because my girls were so sleepy and small, we had to feed every 2-3 hours around the clock and wake them at the 3-hr mark to get them to eat.  We had to do this for the first 4 months (I think) and then we were able to stretch it to every 4 hours because they were taking enough in each bottle (high cal formula and breast milk).

My advice for new parents: 

1. It won't always be like this.  You are in the trenches at the beginning and do only the things that are absolutely necessary and know that life will regain normalcy eventually.
    2. Accept help!  Don't be a superhero... if someone wants to come over and help with the baby (even if it just means holding one), let them!
    3. If both your babies want to be held at the same time, put one in a carrier (bjorn, sling, whatever), and then hold the other.
    4. Get a double snap and go... seriously its the least expensive and lightest stroller you will ever have.. but it also your lifeline to the outside world!
    5. Work out a schedule with your spouse or partner (or helpers!)... everyone should be able to handle two babies at once, but if not, get more helpers!  When help comes, go take a nap!
    6. Don't be discouraged if breast feeding doesn't work.  My little preemies couldn't latch.  I pumped what I could and met with several LCs.  But you are in the trenches and if you have to stop, don't beat yourself up about it.
    7. Take lots of picture and video and even though you think you look awful- get in those pictures!!!  You don't look awful, you look like an amazing new mom who just created two new people!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Another bit of advice that I just thought of, don't compare your babies to other babies and when they meet milestones or start doing things.  Don't compare your babies to each other.  Both of mine met milestones at different times.

10. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Mine would be to find a safe place to vent and celebrate and talk- a support system is vital!

11. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

Every night, sneak in and look at them sleep; (assuming they are sleeping). You'll forget any frustrations of the day!