Advice needed!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by swilhite25, Sep 27, 2010.

1. swilhite25

swilhite25 Well-Known Member

Hi all, cold and flu season will be here soon and I'm wondering what you all would do in my shoes. My twins are 21 months and my youngest dd is 7 1/2 months old. I took them to the gym's child care center three weeks ago and they all got sick. (The only thing that surprised me about this was that it took a week for them to get sick) Youngest dd got a viral rash and we had to make a trip to the doc to make sure it wasn't something serious. (She had rsv and pneumonia at 6 weeks old and my heart still stops 6 months later any time she coughs) The child care center itself sure isn't fancy and definitely not spotless or sanitized on a regular basis, but the workers are sweet and very attentive. All of my friends who's kids go say they'll get sick a lot at first, but then it will get better as the build immunity. I kind of wanted to be like "duh!" but this advice is coming from people with a singleton or a preschooler and a toddler; no one with an infant and twin toddlers. So I thought I'd ask y'all what you would do. Right now I go about three times a week and DH watches the kids for 1 1/2 hrs or I go after they go to sleep. I love going, it's totally my sanity break and all I do for myself. Dh recently said if I don't take them that he wants to cancel our membership which seems silly to me. It's not like I'm not going, I just don't want to take the kids. If he wants to save money I say we keep doing what we're doing b/c it works and save money by not having to take everyone to the doc every two weeks! :) I like getting them out and around other kids, but I just don't know if that's the right setting for them at this point. Any thoughts? TIA!

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

It is true that the more they are 'exposed' to things, the stronger their immunity will be... but it is hard. My kids were healthy growing up but still get the school year sniffles when school starts. I guess I would probably continue to take them, unless they are sick. :hug: Canceling the membership because of this sounds crazy to me too! You need a break!!!

3. stacy.alderfer@yahoo.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I'd give it another try or two - if your kids continue to get or stay sick, I'd quit. Working out is a nice break, but coming home with sick kiddos makes life miserable! Maybe it was just a fluke, though. So if it were me, I'd try again. :)

4. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Dealing with 3 sick kids would be miserable, but I think I would risk it. It sounds like a wonderful break for you and the kids are well-cared-for there. If it becomes too much, you can always quit later. I also think it's ridiculous to cancel the membership just because you don't take advantage of the child-care!

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with the others :)

6. swilhite25

swilhite25 Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies, I've been thinking about this all morning so I really appreciate the feedback. DH and I joined this gym because of the childcare, not b/c it was the nicest gym in town. There are other really nice gyms we could join for $20 a month, but no child care. So I guess I get his point and maybe I should try again. I just get SO scared when our baby gets sick. I don't worry as much about the twins now that they're older, but her episode this spring really shook me up. I never want her to have to go through that again, but I also know I can't let fear keep us from living our life and getting out and about. Thank you again everyone!