advice needed re: nanny and babysitting

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by dezmitch, Nov 24, 2008.

1. dezmitch

dezmitch Well-Known Member

I have a nanny for our almost 4 month twins -- she watches the babies 3 days a week when I'm at work (I work part time only). DH and I want to start a regular date night -- and she wants the extra hours and is willing to watch the babies. Which is great -- however, we dont' want to pay her the same rate that we are paying as our nanny. Why? Because she will be doing a lot less with the babies on "date nights" because they go to sleep between 6:30 - 7:00pm, and we probably won't even leave to go out until 5 or 6pm -- so she'll have a lot of down time to herself while the babies are sleeping.

We currently pay her $10/hour -- how much should I pay her for date night babysitting and how should I approach her about this?

2. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

Maybe you can try $8/hr. and explain why you want to pay the lower rate. Enjoy date night!

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't know how you can explain it to her, I think if I were the nanny I would just expect to be paid 1 flat rate, but I know nothing about paying nannies!

4. egoury

egoury Well-Known Member

I think that's reasonable. I would suggest you ask around for the going rate for experienced babysitters in your area. Then, you can offer to pay her that rate and explain why she isn't getting her normal rate. If she doesn't agree, you can find someone else who charges the going rate. It is important for you to have your date nights.

5. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

That´s a tricky one as she may not agree to that. What if one, or both, of the babies wakes up and she has to deal with possible crying etc??? I appreciate your position but, in your shoes, I´d pay her the same rate and ask her to do some ironing or housework for when they´re sleeping. Talk to her though, you never know! :)

I have a lady that helps me Mon-Fri every afternoon for 5 hours and two mornings a week (Im also working part time). We pay a flat rate every month as we couldn´t afford to pay hourly rates and she´s happy with that. When they´re sleeping she does housework. It works out well.

GL with your decision and have a great date night! What a great idea! :D

6. mamaz

mamaz Active Member

Perhaps you could offer her a pay rate that is for sleeping hours and another for wake hours?

7. djpizzuti

djpizzuti Well-Known Member

Sorry... I'm ok with the $10 - even if they are asleep. I am assuming she has CPR for the little people and you trust her... that is worth $2. for me... I pay my Nanny EXTRA if she comes after hours or on weekends... (BTW - I pay WAY more than $10.00...)

8. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

$10/hour for a nanny for twins sounds like a heck of a good deal, so i wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth and i would just pay the $10 an hour for date night, too.

9. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

QUOTE(piccologirl @ Nov 24 2008, 04:05 PM) [snapback]1085262[/snapback]
    $10/hour for a nanny for twins sounds like a heck of a good deal, so i wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth and i would just pay the $10 an hour for date night, too.

This is exactly what I was going to say. A decent nanny near me charges at least $12/hour and probably more like $14/hour, and we're not in a big expensive city. I don't know if $10/hour is typical near you, but you may end up insulting your nanny if you offer less than her typical wage for evening hours. I talked to my nanny about this once and she told me that her previous family tried to give her a babysitting rate for evenings and that really bothered her. It was as if they were saying she was worth less after 5pm. I think I'd probably pay the full nanny salary and leave her a few things to do like folding laundry or organizing the twins toys or clothes just so you feel like you're getting more of your money's worth.

10. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

i too pay WAY more for my twin nanny... and i pay her the same rate on the weekends (I'm not as nice as MamaD i guess)... she comes on Sundays 1-5 (and our babies nap 2-4) so DH and i can hit lunch a movie... hit the beach for a bike ride... what ever... FYI her normal working hrs are 10-6 mon- fri

just another FYI i have watched many a mom loose an awesome Nanny trying to "cut deals" because the nanny’s gets insulted, feels you don’t think they are valuable... but in this economy if you’re willing to take the chance... see what happens... i personally wouldn’t because i know how hard it is to get a great Nanny... and if you like her... show her by paying "her rate". Happy Nannies equals happy babies is how I look at it

11. dezmitch

dezmitch Well-Known Member

thanks for the replies girls -- you made some good points. I will just contniue to pay her the same rate. yes, $10/hour is a good deal. We basically told her that the first 90 days was a trial -- we would do a review after 90 days and if all was good we would give her a raise to $12/hour.

She's awesome with the babies, and I don't want to lose her. I will keep her at $10/hr. Thanks.

12. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I agree that you should keep the rate the same. Ask her to do some 'house chores/prepwork (bottles, pick up toys, fold laundry) if babies are sleeping and she has the time (no one fusses).

If she is good- do what ever you can to keep her! Good nannies are hard to find.

13. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

I am so glad that you decided to keep the same rate. Even though they are sleeping, she is giving up her evening just as much as she is giving up her day to watch them. PP is right they could wake up and then she would have to "work". That is a good rate to be paying. Here the going rate is $40 a day!

14. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I'd keep the rate the same. I pay my nanny the same amount per hour, whether it's during my workday or for a date night.

15. Emily@Home

Emily@Home Well-Known Member

Wow, $10/hr sounds like a bargain. Around here, a teenage babysitter gets $7/hour for plain old babysitting.

16. jentwinmom

jentwinmom Well-Known Member

I have a nanny for my girls as well that I pay $10/ hour. I personally would never ask her to take a pay cut just because the girls are sleeping. You are assuming they are going to be perfect. However, what if they get sick, or what if they decide not to sleep? I personally don't think it is fair to ask her to take a pay cut.