Addison's appointment today

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Heathermomof5, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I took Addison to the dr this morning. They collected some urine from her and said that it had a trace of blood in it but that a culture was needed so she will call me back in a few days with the results of that. BUT....

about the lymph nodes - they referred us to a pediatric surgeon because she feels like they may need to be removed. they are REALLY large and have not gotten any better. our appt is Fri. Feb 1 at 11:00.

I am so scared!

2. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I missed the backstory on this but.....

Yikes! Blood in her urine! Hopefully it's nothing too terrible! :hug99: She'll be ok Mom.

3. Slackwater

Slackwater Well-Known Member

I don't know if there's more to the story...I'm sure there is, but *hugs* to you and Addison. I hope everything goes well with the doctor appointment and that, if she does need surgery, she goes in and comes out like a champ :)! We will keep you in our thoughts!

4. Cindy123

Cindy123 Well-Known Member

Heather, I've had you and Addison in my thoughts, I hope she won't need surgery. Do they know at all what could cause this?

5. Heathermomof5

She has not "looked" good to me in a while - I tend to be overly cautious or paranoid as Travis like to call it! and he wouldn't
    think one of the kids was sick if they vomited all over him! so I tried to ignore it. At Christmas , I had several people ask me what was wrong with her - at that time she had been on antibiotics for her ears -and her ears do continue to be red so we were thinking that was it. I took her to the ENT who put her on another round of antibiotics. and the next day I changed her diaper and could not believe the huge knots on her groin! I took her back to the dr and she told me to finish the antibiotic and did some bloodwork which was all normal except her red cell count which was only slightly elevated so she said don't worry about that. well she still looks like she feels bad. so when I took her back today they checked her urine and referred us to the surgeon.

I know she will be ok - I am just so worried - being overly cautious (paranoid!) is NO fun!!

6. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Heathermomof5 @ Jan 24 2008, 07:58 PM) [snapback]588264[/snapback]
    I know she will be ok - I am just so worried - being overly cautious (paranoid!) is NO fun!!

Of course you are worried, she is your little girl and it's your job to protect her. I would feel the SAME way in your shoes. :hug99:

Do they know why the nodes are swollen?

7. Heathermomof5

QUOTE(Cindy123 @ Jan 24 2008, 07:46 PM) [snapback]588237[/snapback]
    Heather, I've had you and Addison in my thoughts, I hope she won't need surgery. Do they know at all what could cause this?

Thanks! I hope she won't either. - they don't know. I was kinda hoping that she would have a UTI and they would say that's it we will put her on the right meds and they will go away! !! but the pedi was not convinced, and I to be really honest with you, was too afraid to ask many questions - I'll save those for the surgeon on the 1st if need be.

8. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Heathermomof5 @ Jan 24 2008, 08:09 PM) [snapback]588290[/snapback]
    Thanks! I hope she won't either. - they don't know. I was kinda hoping that she would have a UTI and they would say that's it we will put her on the right meds and they will go away! !! but the pedi was not convinced, and I to be really honest with you, was too afraid to ask many questions - I'll save those for the surgeon on the 1st if need be.

Again...:hug99: :hug99:...I'm sorry you are going through this!! I hope everything turns out just fine.

9. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Heather, I am sorry you have to be worried about this :hug99:

10. becky5

becky5 Guest

Oh Heather! :hug99: Poor Addison. It would make sense that her groin glands are swollen if she has some sort of UTI going on, which would explain the blood in her urine also. Hopefully that is what the culture will tell you. I have never heard of actually removing the glands though. Poor baby girl! And poor Momma. :hug99: You all are in my thoughts.

11. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:love0028: I hope you get some answers soon. It's only a week, but it must seem like soooooo long until that appointment.

12. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Heather, I'm sending out many :hug99: to you and Addison. I hope you get answers soon and your little girl is back to feeling better. :hug99: You are a strong woman, remember that.

13. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Big, big hugs!! I have been thinking of you guys & watching for an update. I hope surgery isn't necessary & she gets better soon! I will continue to keep her in my prayers. :hug99:

14. Boni

Boni Well-Known Member

Good Luck my friend. I pray for your little Addison

15. axpan

axpan Well-Known Member

Hope everything is back to healthy very soon. I know how scary the wait can be before you know what's going on. Lots of hugs and good thoughts for you and your little girl.

16. ~ilyse~

~ilyse~ Well-Known Member

:hug99: Addison will be in our thoughts and prayers. Good luck for your appointment on the 1st and keep us posted.

17. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

:hug99: I'm sorry they still don't have an answer for you! I'll be praying that everything turns out well, and your sweet little girl feels better soon!

18. Heathermomof5

thankyou all!!!

I had never heard of removing glands either! and I was thinking the blood in the urine was a sign of a UTI - but it was just a trace and she said that the dipsticks they use sometimes "do that" - but I'm thinking she has been on antibiotics (Augmentin) for her ear so maybe is had been working on the UTI too and this surgeon will think our pedi is nuts for even sending us there??!! I just hate this because if it seems this obvious to me then why didn't our pediatrician just think the way I do, blame it on a UTI and wait on the referral?? I am glad she is going to be checked by someone else but it is making me a crazy chick! :crazy: Our pedi. just kept saying "this is not normal, I think they need to be removed". and I was like a deer caught in the headlights - too afraid to move!

19. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Heathermomof5 @ Jan 25 2008, 11:35 AM) [snapback]589295[/snapback]
    I had never heard of removing glands either! and I was thinking the blood in the urine was a sign of a UTI

I really don't want to scare you here, but I have 2 friends who's kids had UTI's as infants. They were both told an infant should never get one, and it's probably the kidneys refluxing (there's a real name for this and later I will call my friend and ask her). It's a condition that can right itself usually by age 2 or 3, and if not, there is a surgery that will fix it. 3 out of my one friend's 4 kids all had it (but supposedly there's no genetic link..hmmm?), but only one needed surgery. My other friends daughter also outgrew it. It just needs to be watched so as not to do damage to the kidneys.

20. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sending hugs! :hug99:

21. 2boysforus

2boysforus Well-Known Member

Heather! I was just thinking about you! I am so sorry about the new worries about Addison. Your mama insticts were right! I hope they find something out soon so she can feel better. Keep us updated, ok? :hug99:

22. MichelleVDH

MichelleVDH Well-Known Member

:hug99: :hug99: :hug99:
    Hang in there, mom!!!! Things are scary right now, but they will be okay!
    Sending prayers for you and your family!

23. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

Yikes!! I didn't know they removed lymphnodes! :hug99:

24. pink and blue mom

pink and blue mom Well-Known Member

:hug99: Oh wow Heather, I just read your post...poor Addison :hug99: . I hate that she is still not feeling well. I hope you get some answers when you meet with the surgeon. Sometimes you get the most simple explanations when you meet with someone who deals primarily with lymph nodes or whatever the speciality for that matter. I hope you get your answers soon. In the mean time I will keep you both in my prayers!

25. Heathermomof5

Thankyou all !! poor girl !! she is sleeping right now laying on me and she is just so very sweet and tiny!!! I worry about her so much!