a question to those who went to collage/university or other institutes or their children have

Discussion in 'General' started by Code, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Code

Code Well-Known Member

As the title and the subtitle says, how did you know it was the right one to go to? What was it that made you decide on that one?

I know I want to go to the University of Wollongong because I fell in love with it, its a beautiful campus, the teaching staff are really nice and helpful, its close to home - although I will move as it would mean travelling 4hrs each time I had a class. Its hightly recommended, its a multicultural university with individuals from the US, Asia, UK, India etc going there because they have ZERO racial issues which appeals to me more because I dislike people who are not culturally aware and accepting as I believe we are all equal! I am just waiting to recieve a letter to say if i am in due to the interview i had on the 26th

UOW is the choice that I have made my mind up to going to, but now other pleaces are ringing me, emailing and sending letters to try and get me to go to their places, I have recieved from 7 other places 2 of which offered me 100% placement.

How do I know if I am making the right choice, I also dont know how to tell these other unis/collages/institutes that I dont want to go there.

How did you choose??

Thanks

2. TwinRichard

TwinRichard Well-Known Member

Out of interest which other universities have contacted you?

While I am admittedly biased, in almost all cases I would prefer a university to a college but that is because I am more academically inclined. I would generally choose the one that fits in the most with what you want to do (within reasonable constraints). Some universities are better in some subject areas than in others so the "best" university might not be the best for what you want to do.

I considered going to the University of Wollongong at one point but didn't end up choosing it. It certainly isn't a bad university though.

3. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I did not go the the university that I wanted to go to, instead I went to one close to home. I have always regretted my decision. If this is where you really want to go, then do it. There is nothing worse than to regret a decision. I have my degree and I am not worse off for going where I chose, however, I often wonder what I missed by not going where I had originally wanted. There's always going to be some level of uncertainity about some decisions, but in the end, you just got to do what feels right and if you've weighed all the pros and cons, and you still feel good, you're probably making the best decision for you.

4. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I went to visit about 4 colleges in one week with my parents. The school I wound up going to was the 3rd one we visited. I refused to get out of the car for the 4th school. I fell in love with my school the second we pulled into town. It is a medium sized university in a college town. You can get to everything by walking. Reading your paragraph about UoW that is how I felt about the school I went to. I held my breath hoping I got in. Thankfully I did. I was always skeptical of schools that contacted me. It was usually because they needed my tution money. If they are offering you a scholarship to attend that is a different story.

5. Code

Code Well-Known Member

The ones that have contacted me are the university of Canberra, Macquarie University, charles sturt, The Australian Cathlic University, australian national university and then the business acadamy keep ringing me up(which I figured out where they got my details, from the careers advisor as school when he was trying to help me with something!)

UOW have what I want, I am able to do the courses that I want in a reasonable amount of time. I must admit that I think that I am more biased with UOW because of help that professors have already offered me through my PIP and open days that I attended.

Do you regret your choice of Uni?? Or are you happy with what you have achieved and by the standards of teaching?

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also toured a couple of colleges and universities with my parents. I knew where I really wanted to go but I also I knew if I went there, I would have to commute from home and I wanted the experience of living on campus. I went to a university about 90 minutes away from home: the campus was beautiful, it was a small school and I liked it but after a year and a half-I still knew it was not for me and I transferred to the university I should have been at all along.
    I can remember going to a college fair and seeing that university there and getting so excited to see them and talk to them...that should have been my first clue that this is where I belonged. I was glad to have the experience of living on campus but also glad I made the transfer.
    Good luck on your decision!

7. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I knew after I visited the campus and taking the tour at Valparaiso University that that is where I wanted to go. For Sean, he had several schools he was really interested in so he decided based upon his intended major (which school offered the best program) and who gave him the most money. That turned out to be the University of Tennessee, right in our own back yard!

8. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I started going to the university that my parents wanted me to go to. It was far from home but near where my dad was living at the time. I hated it with every bone in my body! I had a really good GPA b/c I studied all the time and was miserable. I transferred to a university further south the 2nd semester of my 2nd year. I had so much fun that I failed all of my classes my first semester there and lost my scholarship. :(

I sort of regret my decision to this day. I say "sort of" b/c if I hadn't transferred I never would have met my DH. I totally regret slacking off and losing the scholarship every month when we have to pay back my student loan.

9. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I did have a reply but my laptop had a fit and went back and I lost what I wrote so 2nd try!

Thanks, this is where I want to go and regretting my choice is my biggest fear, other then failing. I think that these other places trying to get me to go there is what is making me freak out a little bit! I think taking my gut instint is what I need to do with this.

Yes that is exactly the same experince that I have had, I went to 3 one before and one after and I knew the moment I got there that I wanted to go, compared to where I live now a seaside town thats a major holiday attraction/retirement area I want a city lifestyle which is still near the ocean. That is good that you got in!! I really hope for the same outcome, the waiting game is the worst part of this whole experince!
    They arent offering scholarships they just want my money I think, they are trying to sell their business to me as education is really a business with the amount it cost. I wish they would go away at the moment! Thanks for your reply also

10. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

I didn't know where to go!! My mom filled out my application to PSU because my twin sister was going there, main campus. I really didn't want to leave home, even though it was just 3 hours from where we lived. On a practical level it was a really good choice for me. They had plenty of variety for someone who didn't know their major. You need to be careful if you are not sure on your major or if there is any possibility at all that you might switch. Some colleges/univ. don't offer certain majors. So you can't explore a new major without transferring...that could be very costly, both on time and money. PSU was also a practical choice because it was one of the most economical in comparison to the education I was going to be getting. Lots of private schools are very, very expensive. So if you don't have a full scholarship or come from a family who does well enough to be ineligible for financial aide, but poor enough to make college tuition difficult to pay it's a tough choice.

I think you need to consider the practical choices first...then look at the surroundings. There were some campuses that were outdated, 'dark' and depressing to me...I checked those off my lists first.

One of the reasons I didn't want to go to PSU is that I felt it was too huge. But I realized that even at a huge university you quickly get into your own community. For some people it's the frat scene...for some it's sports... for others clubs or activities involving their major. But personally I think it's important to remember that you are there primarily for an education towards a career. You will not retain most of your college friends if your school is far from home or where you eventually want to live. So sacrificing your education to spend time with friends every night of the week will come back to bite you. Try to leave college with happy memories, and not with regrets over poor choices!

As far as 'turning down' colleges. Really! Don't worry about that. They have thousands of applicants...they won't take it personally!! And you'll have to get used to that if you wind up with multiple job offers in the future. Saying 'no' is a good skill to develop.

11. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I wish Australia was like America and had "collage fairs" to show us the universities and such avaliable to us where they could explain what we could expect - would be useful! Are you glad that you did transfer and were you happy with your decision to do it? I want the life experince of doing so, I wont be at uni to have a party type lifestyle but to meet new people with the same wants as me will be good. Also to have an identity where not everyone will know I am a twin, as Chloe is not going next year shes decided to go on another path, for once I wont be "clodie" but just Codie, I dont mean that as I am ashamed of her, having a twin has shaped who I am but I want to allow people to know who I am, as she is the dominate one. Thanks I hope I make the right one!

How is Sean enjoying it? I know Australian/American education is different. Thats best, I think I need to just stay with my heart and not allow these other ideas to cloud my vison.

May I ask is it common to go to the university that parents want you to??
    My parents didnt force university it was my choice they just wanted me to finish highschool thats all they expected, and they have no experince as they went on different paths also. Did you actually finish collage even though you failed a semester?

So in reality there is two options
    1. Go with my heart - which I want to do as its telling me its what I should do.
    or
    2. If I feel later on down the track its not the place that I should be I can change universities

12. Code

Code Well-Known Member

You didnt actually choose the uni that you went to? :unknw: I know what you mean about knowing what you want to do, I dont understand what you mean by majors though sorry. Here you pick a course and do it, what I have decided upon is creative arts graphic design then doing education so I will be able to teach it to others. I have already checked and I am able to do it like that.

This campus is very open, the buildings beatiful they have ponds which have cute ducks and trees which a lot of universities in the cities dont have, instead of building up higher when they need more room they build new campuses so that the area stays open. So its not depressing thankfully after a highschool that was very depressing and a jigsaw to get from room to room.

I dont want that, I want to go to study not join clubs, I am 2hrs away from where I am currently sitting. I want to learn, studying always comes first to me, before BFs and friends, sure meeting new people but I wont be out drinking every weekend (legal age is 18 here) I dont do it now when I legally could because I have goals I want to achieve. Even only just finishing highschool I already dont talk to MOST of the ones I went to school with.

Thanks, I hate saying no to people I feel mean, but you are right with 42 000 people that sat he HSC this year (thats only the NSW state) I am sure they wont miss me!

Thanks for your response

13. Mama_Kim

Sean LOVES it and I know this was the right choice for him. He loves his classes, the football (lol), all of it. It's amazing to me how "grown up" he has become after a few months on his own.

For me, I had to follow my heart where it told me I'd be happiest. I had the greatest college experience and to this day I still get together with my sorority sisters every few years for Homecoming. I also met my DH there. And I received a fantastic education. I think you will know where you belong. BTW, my parents had nothing to do with my college decision. They did support me in my choice but they really let me make the decision as we did with Sean. You can't force someone to go to a school they are uninterested in or it just won't work, imo. Sure, a small percentage of kids may end up happy at a school their parents pick for them, but if they are dead set against it, uh uh.

14. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Thats good to hear! football lol really dont understand it :FIFblush: You must be proud though! Mums and dads should be proud of their kids achievements :)

That is good, your parents and you sound like mine, they are very open and supportive of my choices, uni is my choice they didnt tell me I HAVE to go, or where I have to go. I do think its a personal choice, I have friends who are going to particular universities because their parents want them to, I would hate it unless I personally like that school.

I think I have A LOT of high expectations of myself as in 3 generations of my mums side only one person as graduated from university and on my dads side I have no idea as we dont speak to them, I really want to do well and make my famiy proud, as its scary to think I will be the 2nd person to graduate as Chloe will be doing a TAFE course next year in certificate 4 youth work then she will be going to university and her course will be like 5 years!

15. Mama_Kim

I am proud, Code, just as I am sure your parents are of you!! I think it's awesome!! As for the football, lol, I didn't expect you'd understand. ;)

16. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

It was close to my grandparent's house - that was my one and only deciding factor. I commuted from home but visited my grandparent's every day. Horrible academic decision on my part but I don't regret it for one second. I spent a lot of time with my grand parents who are gone now and it is also where I met DH.

17. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I know they are, my mum cried at my graduation when I recieved many different awards for achievements, in my senior year I did 4 extra out of school courses which gave me more certificates to add to my portfolio - I worked towards my future instead of being out partying like most of my year was. At my year 12 formal they showed how proud they were, although they asked if i could repeat so that I didnt leave school this year :rolleyes:

Us kids should be proud and thankful of who our parents are also, because without yous we would not be alive, or have the oppertunities that our parents have provided, I know my parents (mainly mum) gave up a lot to raise us kids and for that I shall be always thankful, and I am sure all of your kids feel the same (the older they get and the more they can understand!)

Yes well sports and me is like ice and heat shouldnt be placed together :laughing:

18. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Sorry may be personal but did most of you wonderful ladies find your DH's at collage/uni?? :wub: To be young and in love :)

19. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

I'm about to reveal home much of a total geek I really am. I chose where to go based on the marching band. That's right, marching band. :blush: I was in band in high school and we attended a marching competition at Morehead State University (in the mountains of Kentucky). I had a blast and liked the area and the campus. I didn't think much of it, but the second the MSU marching band stepped on the field to preform I just knew that that was where I wanted to be.

I had always assumed I would attend Northern Kentucky University which is about 15 minutes from my parents' house. No one from my high school ever went away to school, I never wanted to live anywhere but where I grew up, and I am really shy around people I don't know. But, I decided, against all reason, to go away to school (only 2 hours, but I still only came home every few months) where I wouldn't know a soul. Now, I can only believe that it was God leading to that decision because it was completely contrary to my nature and God completely provided the means.

I even rejected a full scholarship to NKU in order to attend MSU. My high school has an honors' night where they award all their scholarships. I knew how much money I had to receive in order to afford to go away. I received small scholarship after scholarship that night and added it all as I went along. It came down to me being about $500 short per semester and the only scholarship left was the athletic booster's scholarship. I was heartbroken since I didn't have the money I needed and I was as far from an athlete as is possible to be. You can't imagine my shock when they announced me as the recipient of the athletic scholarship. I truly believed it was a mistake. But, it turns out that they decided to choose me and counted marching band as a sport! I can't tell you how odd this was - the athletic boosters were almost at war with the band boosters. They hated "band geeks!" When I opened the envelope they gave me, I saw that the scholarship was for $500!!!!

My years at MSU were some of the best of my life. I learned a ton, gained some amazing friends (one of which ended up living with my family, is still my best friend, and is very like a sister to me), and had experiences I could never have had if I had stayed home. The funny thing is that I ended up quitting the marching band after my second year. That is what brought me to MSU, but not what I ended up loving about it.

If you feel like you really want to go to UOW, go for it! If you change your mind down the road you can always transfer!

BTW, no I didn't meet my DH at college. I've known him since I was 13.

ETA: Fixed typo

20. Code

Code Well-Known Member

First off :wub: :wub: that is the cutest thing about choosing the school because of band! I think in society today it doesnt matter if you were a nerd because you do it for a better future! That is really good that you recieved all of them scholarships! I bet you were pleased when you did!

Thanks that to was a helpful experince of someone else to help me realise what I should/need to do!

Wow, 13 that is cute :)

21. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

I didn't neccessarily go to the university that I wanted, rather the one that was closest to home. I "sort of" regret my decision. Like a pp, mentioned. I say "sort of" because I met my DH right before I started my nursing program at this university. It was convenient to go to this school. Even the field of study I chose was chosen out of conveniece. Not that I don't like the medical field, but had I given it thought back then, I would have definately gone to medical school not nursing school. Sometimes, we have to just go with the opportunity that is presenting itself at the time. I am glad I was able to go to college and get a degree. That part, I do not regret, but if I were able to do it over again, I would make a few changes.

Also, my parents didn't take me to any schools to check them out or even discuss what I would do after h/s, for that matter. I figured it out on my own. Looking back, that part of it makes me sad. I kind of feel like I missed out on some really cool college experiences that I might have had otherwise....had I known better or had someone to guide me.

The only advice I can give you is: to go with the one you are most excited about and the one that gives you what you want academically. Do not base your decision on conveniece, if you can avoid it.

22. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

This is exactly what happened to me. Had my parents taken me to visit other universities, perhaps I would have had more gumption to have chosen the school I really wanted to go to.

23. caba

caba Banned

I knew I wanted to go to my school from the minute I stepped on campus. I wanted to stay in NJ, because I had a boyfriend at home. Totally bad move, but I really did fall in love with my school. And it was only an hour from home, so I still got the "going away" experience, but was able to shoot home on the weekends to do laundry if I wanted to! ;)

Besides the silly boyfriend, I chose my college because I wanted a place where I could walk to any point on the campus within 15 minutes. I didn't want to take buses to classes, or have to visit entire different campuses. It's just how I pictured college being. My school wasn't huge, and I didn't want to be in an auditorium for each of my classes. My computer science classes had about 20-30 kids max, and we all traveled through college together, and all graduated with our degrees together, and we all knew each other. It was kinda nice.

Sometimes I wish I had gone to a slightly different school, being that A LOT of kids went home on the weekends. Of course, I don't regret it because of the amazing friends I made, and the husband I found. :cool:

It's funny, because we live only about 20 minutes from Rutgers, which is a good school in NJ. I refuse to let my kids go there. I just don't want them to come home that easily. I want them a little further away so they are forced to stay at school, live there, and experience all the fun that college has to offer.

Too many of my girlfriends from HS either didn't go to college, or went to community college, so they were all still at home. It made it all too easy for me to go home my freshman year and not experience all of college.

Anyway, good luck! I know that even if I had gone further away, I had a very specific picture in my mind of what I wanted my college to look like. And unless you want to be a doctor/lawyer/etc, I don't think the college you are going to matters all that much. Your degree gets you your first job, that's about it. So don't stress about it being the best of the best school. I work with people with computer science degrees from Ivy League schools, as well as people who went to community college and got the remainder of their degree online. We all still have the same BS in Computer Science at the end of the day. For me, college is about a lot more than the degree. It's the amazing life experience you get from being there!

How excited all of this is! Makes me nostalgic for my college days!

24. TwinRichard

TwinRichard Well-Known Member

Those are certainly good universities (Australian National University in particular) although I don't know how good any of them are for graphic design. I would probably consider it since you say you are academically inclined (not that you need to choose the best university). Even though the professors at Wollongong helped you a lot it doesn't mean professors from other universities aren't just as helpful. Might be worth sending some e-mails to professors at some of the other universities with specific questions about some of the things they teach (or research). Having said that, if you think you would be more comfortable at Wollongong, certainly choose it even if it does not have the same reputation as ANU.

While I didn't do my undergraduate degree at the university I wanted to (too expensive), I don't regret going to the one I did. For my post-graduate degrees I don't regret it either even though there are some things that annoy me about it. The University of Sydney is one of the few universities in the world with a dedicated department to the area I'm interested in so it made sense to go there.

We do have "majors" (depends on the university) but not in the same sense. They are more specialisations within a specific degree and you choose the degree before you start, you just specialise in a certain area.

25. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

First of all you are under no obligation to respond to other schools. If they are presistant simply say I've made my decision, please take me off your contact list.

But, if possible, I think you should visit as many of the other places as possible. That will help you feel good about the choice you've made--or possible make you realize the first place is not the best fit after all.

The University I went to was not my first choice, but finacially, it was the best choice for my family. It was also a good choice for me for other reasons, it was large, which allowed me to be a wide variety of people, like you mentioned, including foriegn students, and when I decided to change the focus of my studies, it was not a problem as my school was large enough to offer a wide range of good programs.

I currently work at a small college. A large portion of our students come here because it's close to home--not because it is the best fit for them. It is hard for me to see them struggle because they choice their field of study because it's one we offer, not because it's their passion or their talent. Unfortunately in most of their cases they don't have much choice, they can't go away to school so it's study here or not get a degree.

Good Luck with your decision.

26. SKTwinMom

SKTwinMom Well-Known Member

For me, I knew I wanted to be a lawyer since I was a little girl and I always wanted to go to my father's alma matter, Stanford. In my junior year we visited San Francisco to see Stanford and we stopped at Berkeley too. I fell in love with Berkely. My dad had also advised me all along to do my undergraduate somewhere other than Stanford. So I applied early decision to Berkley and got my degree in poli sci and went to Stanford for law school just as I dreamed. I met my husband at Berkley, he was my blonde haired California boy. Those were the best years of my life. I hope college is the same for you. Don't be afraid to go out and have fun either. I was like you when I started, I was very serious about my studies and not into partying like others my age but after Christmas break my freshman year I let myself have some fun and I truly think I'm a better person for it.

27. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your responses, I shall properly read them in the morning, suffering a headache at the moment so off to bed I go.

28. Mama_Kim

I hope you tell your parents this once in a while. They would love to hear it!! :D

29. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I always tell them how thankful I am :)