A bit OT... cheapish digital camera?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Fran27, May 9, 2012.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I have a big SLR camera, and we're going on a trip abroad next month and I really don't want to lug the thing everywhere... so I was thinking of buying a smaller one.

Any recommendation? I don't care about videos, I just want to be able to take decent pictures (nice shutter speed would be nice though).

2. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I swear by my five year old Canon PowerShot ELPH. I love it like the day I got it and it has held up exceptionally well to weather, drops, and - the ultimate test - 3 year old twin boys. The shutter speed is awesome and it has the best red eye correction feature that I have ever seen. My sister just bought a newer version of the ELPH and loves it. I have played with it a few times and it is just like mine except the zoom is quite a bit better and it records video in HD. The link is for the exact camera she got and it is currently on sale with free shipping. If you decide on this one, I recommend also getting a backup battery, though the battery life is very good. Happy shopping!!

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ha. An slr to a nice compact camera with fast shutter?!? Good luck! Lol!

I had a canon power shot elph. I never had any complaints about it. Took great shots. Then I got a dslr, and I will never go back.

The shutter speed drove me nuts on the smaller cameras.

I've never had a bad experience with the canons. I got the ones that were always around $150-200.

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Yeah I just don't know a thing about photography so my shot with the d40 are just not that great anyway, lol!

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Thanks!!! That's a great deal too. I got it :)

6. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I just bought a small Nikon (S4100 I think) at Costco for about $80 (it was originally around $170 and there was a sale and a coupon available). We used it at Disney this spring and it took great pictures. Very happy with my new small camera. If you have a Costco by you, I think they have great deals on camera's.

7. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I've had two Panasonic Lumix's and love them. They are small but pack a big punch when it comes to photos. They run $150-200 on amazon.