8 wk twins measuring 7 days apart

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by January14, Mar 5, 2014.

1. January14

January14 New Member

Last week at almost 8 wks we found out we are expecting twins. We couldn't be more excited! My concern is that we saw two heart beats but Baby A was measuring 7 days ahead of Baby B. At 6 weeks 4 days we only saw one heart beat. I'd love to hear if this sounds normal to you ladies. I know it's not ideal, but I have my next ultrasound tomorrow and I'm a nervous wreck. Thanks!

2. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations!! and welcome to TS!  You will have to be sure and pop back in here after your appointment and let us know how things went.
    You had an US at 6wks and saw two sacs but only one heartbeat?  I think that would be pretty normal-I think it can be hard to see until after 8wks. 
    I had a similar situation and when I went back after 8wks there were two heartbeats. 
    Hopefully others will chime in here and give their two cents:)
    Good luck tomorrow! We'll be thinking of you!

3. January14

January14 New Member

Thank you so much! I'm sorry, looking back at my question, it's a little unclear. At 6.2 we saw one heart beat, at 7.6 we saw two heart beats. But, baby B was 7 days smaller than baby A at 7.6. I'm worried about the size and not sure what to think!

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Welcome to Twinstuff!

Hmm, mine were 3 days apart at the first ultrasound (11 weeks) and we have 2 kids who occasionally are the same weight, right now my 'littler' one on u/s is a pound bigger at 4.5. 

Please update us when you get back from your ultrasound.

5. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

It's possible each twin was conceived at different times so measuring a few days off probably isn't a big deal.   My twins were usually about 4-6 days apart by ultrasound measurements.   Your OB team will continue to monitor their growth so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

6. January14

January14 New Member

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and the good wishes! We had a wonderful check up today. We actually did IVF in January and transferred only one perfect hatching blastocyst. So, we knew when we saw 2 they were identical. Today we saw both racy little heartbeats and they are only measuring 3 days apart today which the doctor says is fine. They were moving and wiggling around. Got to see their little arms moving. It was pretty awesome! What a relief!

We also think we saw a light membrane shadow, so that's good news, too. They are definitely monochorionic but looking like diamniotic, so that's good.

This website's been really helpful to hear other people's stories. Thanks for the support!

7. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yay!!!! Congratulations!! Sounds like a great appointment today! I'm so happy for you :) 

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Welcome to Twinstuff!  :clap: Congrats on a great appt.!!

9. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

Glad your appointment went well!  My girls were also mono/di.  Good luck with the pregnancy and congrats!

10. mamapagetw

mamapagetw New Member

First of all congrats! Even I asked similar question. My sister is even going through the same things.

11. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome:

Keep in mind that ultrasound is an estimate - measuring babies in utero with sound waves is almost as much art as science. :) Some variability is to be expected. It's my understanding that the way they settle on a measurement is to take it several times and average the amounts.

12. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Mine showed about 5-6 days difference at 9 weeks, and the difference grew from there.  They were almost 2 1/2 lbs apart at birth and at 8 years old are now 30 lbs different.  One of my girls is just really tiny... more the size of a very thin 6 year old (she's not on the charts at all for her height or weight to age).  But she's healthy and doing fine otherwise (she's legally blind, but it's genetic and not at all related to anything about being small or a twin).

13. Lrnomder

Lrnomder Well-Known Member

Welcome! When I was 5-6 weeks pregnant I had an ultrasound which showed twins! A week later I had another US and the twins measured 6 and 7 weeks. The whole pregnancy my girls always measured 1-2 weeks apart. it's completely normal as long as they stay progressing with their development at the same rate. At birth they were only a few ounces different but since they are always 3-5 lbs different and one of my girls is stalky and heavy while the other is tiny and skinny. They are now 11 months and healthy. congratulations on everything to come you have a wondeful journey ahead! It's been such an a mazing experince having twins.

14. ShelleytheFox

ShelleytheFox New Member

I'm pregnant with twins, but I wanted to talk about my 3rd child, who is a singleton. I knew EXACTLY when I got pregnant with him. (the weekend of thanksgiving), and I told the midwife that. So they set his due date for whatever that correlated to. They didn't do an US do determine due date, since I was so sure of my conception date. So we did the later scheduled US, but they felt he was measuring small, and I must have been wrong with conception date (I wasn't), so they changed it to a later date. Almost 2 weeks later.

The whole time the midwife was operating off the later due date, and I was operating off the original due date. I didn't care, except I was planning on a waterbirth, and if I had the baby too soon, they wouldn't let me do it. They all thought he was a bit premature, but he's really just a small little dude. He's 13 mos old now, but still wears 9 month clothes. But he's walking, and developing perfectly fine. He was born within a week of the due date I was planning on, which is about when I usually deliver.

Some kids are just smaller.