8 months, still nursing every 2 hours

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by browneyedgirl, Mar 23, 2011.

1. browneyedgirl

browneyedgirl Well-Known Member

I feel like I must be doing something wrong. They just like to snack, and when I distract them and stretch it to 3, they still only nurse 3-5 minutes and then wake up more at night. They are gaining wonderfully, both have already tripled their birth weights.

I'm just looking for a little break. :)

2. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

At 8 months how is Thier intake of solids? Sounds like nursing is going well !!

3. lauravic

lauravic Member

Mine are 9 months old and still graze. We can stretch it out to 3 hours, sometimes 4. My ds wants more than my dd. They also feed a few times at night. I think its normal. I do understand wanting a break. We've just started baby led weaning with solids and I'm hoping that curbs the constant feeding. I don't really mind them - its sweet they way they reach up and touch my face. Enjoy it!

4. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

ours seemed to nurse every 2 hrs until about 4 months... at that point they started sleeping longer for naps, and that would stretch their feedings.

if you're having trouble getting them to sleep longer than 45 min. that's probably the end of the sleep cycle and they aren't getting into the next cycle.

good luck! yes, sounds like they are doing great with their weight gains!!

5. rtsbeacon

rtsbeacon Member

You mean it might not end!!! Mine are 2.5 months and we are every 2 hrs round the clock. And usually they need at least 40 min so I fell like I get an hour break every time... I am exhausted! I have low supply too, so many times after 40 min they are still starving so I have to supplement.

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Not for everybody. Mine got super efficient- each session was about 10 minutes and would nurse every 2.5 hours during the day and 8 months were sleeping through the night (8+ hours).

7. Anneke

Anneke Well-Known Member

Try to do what is best for you, all of you. The babies in the first place, but also you and your husband, other siblings and whoever is part of your family. Nursing every two hours at eight months is not weird, I think mine did the same thing and I guess they'd still do if I hadn't taught them to go longer stretches. I remember feeling like it was just too much, them needing me -and actually, only my breast would've done fine too- almost all the time. I didn't mind during the day, but I needed to sleep longer during the nights. I fed both babies on demand until around six months and then I began scheduling them. It worked just fine. You'd be surprised at how flexible and resilient babies are. They will protest, for a while. But in the end, it will help them to have a routine and know at all times what is going to be up next.

So, what I'm trying to say to you is that if YOU -and only you- feel like they should go three hours between two feeds, then try to. Decide and stick to it. They'll be fine. Maybe you can increase their solid intake as well?

8. calind115

calind115 Well-Known Member

I agree with the pp, how much solids are they getting. My 2 eat about every 2-4, when they get closer to 2 they need food. Once I started them in on at ,east one meal of solids a day they seemed to sleep a little better at night.

9. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

Agree with pp. Firstly are they getting enough solids? Is it guenuine thirst/hunger or habit? Maybe they are just big feeders?!!!
    AT 14months I have 1 who is usually STTN and one who still has 2 bf a night!!!! :headbang: (They have 3 feeds through the day).
    I am sooooooooooo tempted to 'teach' my night feeder to go back to sleep without a bf but haven't as yet. :acute: