6th birthday party ideas

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ECUBitzy, Mar 26, 2012.

1. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

My daughters' godfather is a single dad and is planning his very first solo birthday party for his daughter this year. She turns six this week and he wants to have a small and informal gathering at a local park. He has tasked me with thinking of activities. I am at a complete loss.

Help!

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

They could do a simple planting activity. If he wanted, he could go to a craft store-acmoore, michaels, and buy the small ceramic pots-they are usually pretty cheap. Then some acrylic paints and some brushes. The girls can paint them and then plant some marigolds(really easy flower to grow). Acrylic paints are pretty cheap too and a little goes a long way. Not to mention, it dries relatively quickly. So when the kids arrive, they could start painting, then play/run around etc. Do the party thing with food/cakes and then plant the seeds after that.

That's all I've got!

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How many kids are coming? He could do some "field day" activities. Three legged race, potato sack races, water balloon toss (assuming the weather is warm enough), some kind of relay race...make it an olympic thing. We do a family olympics at the Cape every summer and the kids have a blast. He can get "medals" for the teams when the olympics are over.

4. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

At 6, the kids will have fun. I like the outdoor game ideas...cheap and fun!

Maybe bubbles, chalk....if there is a playground the kids will likely spent most of the time there!

A simple craft if they have space would be nice (make/plant a flower in a pot, paint a rock pet, paint shirts, make/decorate cupcakes....)

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My first thoughts, "Wow, Stephanie sure is planning ahead" when I saw your thread title.

I would have a make your own sundae thing instead of cake. I love the idea of painting pots and planting seeds. Can you get a big parachute and play with that (typical gym type games)? Or do a scavenger hunt?

6. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Ha, Bex! He asked me for ideas "because I'm a mom" and I was at a total loss. How would I know what to do with six year olds?? I told him that I'd ask y'all and he got a good laugh out of it.

I've linked him to this thread, so I hope this is helping. Taco, I like the planting idea!

7. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Bring a boombox (yes I am old school) and have a dance off or musical chairs or freeze dance. At 6, girls love to dance. If he had a good friend with an ounce of artistic talent, you could do face painting. Also, a temporary tattoo station is fun (need to overnight some tattoos from oriental express or whatever it is called, today). You can also check if the park has an electrical outlet near the tables and rent a moonbounce. Our daycare has a picnic each year at a park and those are all things we have done.

8. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I like IRene's ideas. I have a Daisy troop of Kinders and 1st graders and the meetings that we have Freeze Dance at are the ones the girls like the most.

9. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Any type of craft is always a hit. Painting flower pots (they get to keep as a goody bag type gift) has been a hit, too. You can either have them plant a seed, or have a small flower to put in it. I like the outside field day type ideas, also. Freeze dance works well (just use an iPod and a speaker - but watch the music, you don't need 6 years olds dancing to Rhianna's S&M :blush: ). Hula hoop contests are always fun.

With a 6 year old party, you can't really go wrong. Just the fact he is having a party and letting them run around at the park will be a big hit. All my kids (ranging from 3-11) would love to do that.

Good luck!

10. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I like the dancing and the flower pot painting/planting ideas. My daughters would love that (they turned 6 yesterday).

Also, we got my girls Band Hero for the Wii and they totally love the singing, so if you have access to a karaoke machine, that would be a big hit too. Although you need a place to plug it in.