6 wk old's hands getting really cold when sleeping

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by elhardy26, Jan 6, 2011.

1. elhardy26

elhardy26 Well-Known Member

DS is a pretty good sleeper, but he won't sleep if swaddled or if anything is covering his hands. He likes to have his hands free to bring them togther and up to his face.

He sleeps in a co-sleeper next to us, last night he was wearing a fleece jammies with a blanket over his legs. when he got up to nurse, his body and head were warm but his hands were freezing (and a little pale I thought).

He usually warms up a little after nursing but I feel bad, it must be uncomfortable to have cold hands. What can I do?

2. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Nothing. :) It is normal. I think it is because their circulation system hasn't fully developed yet. My kids had ice cold hands for what seemed like forever, but don't worry the rest of them is nice and toasty warm. Their forehead is a better place to check them to see if they feel hot or cold.

1 person likes this.
  3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You can either put socks over his hand, some mittens, or use the sleepers that have the little mittens already on them.

4. MsTasha

MsTasha Well-Known Member

Most of the Carter's pj's (and others too), have little flaps that you can fold over their hands for just that reason and they are pretty loose, so he might tolerate it better than mittens/socks.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My mil hated how cold their feet and hands would get. Id remind her that it's their core that is the indicator not their extremities. Just let him warm up on you while nursing- he should be fine. ;)

6. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

My MIL was the same..she always commented because my son's hands and feet were always cold. He liked to suck on his fingers when he didn't have his soother in so that didn't help either. Like all the PPs said as long as his body was warm I didn't worry.