6.5 Weeks Preggo with Twins! - Heartbeat Question?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by lromansky, Oct 2, 2008.

1. lromansky

lromansky Well-Known Member

Hello! I'm 35 years old and pregnant with Twins for the first time after undergoing 2.5 years of infertility treatments (had one previous miscarriage a year ago). Finally on our 3rd round of IVF we found out we were pregnant, and today I found out that I'm having twins! I'm so excited but nervous all at the same time.

I have a question - Baby A has a very strong heartbeat of 130, but Baby B only has a heartbeat of 114.

This makes me nervous because a year ago I was pregnant with a singleton and lost the baby at my 8 week ultrasound. During the 6.5 week ultrasound the heartbeat was only 100, and then at the 8 week ultrasound there wasn't a heartbeat at all.

I'm worried b/c one of my twins has a fairly low heartbeat as well. Has anyone experienced this?

2. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

1st Congrats on the tiwns!!! i have not expierinced this but i have heard of alot of women who have.. I know that sometimes the heart beat hasn't just started to beat right around 6.5 weeks so baby B might have implanted later then baby a, but if your dr wasn't concerned then I wouldn't worry about it too much.. ( easier said then done) but hang in there!!! :grouphug:

3. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

Congratulations! We actually didn't get the heart rate until the 8 week ultrasound. They just checked to see if there was indeed a heartbeat at the 6 week ultrasound. I agree with the previous person - could be Baby B implanted later or it could just be they are different babies. Mine have always had a good difference between their heart rates. Seems like both of their rates are within the normal range for that early. Keep us updated!

4. Brown Eyed Gurl

Brown Eyed Gurl Well-Known Member

that sounds ok to me I think long as it's like 115 range and up it's fine....congrats by the way.....I too struggled wiht IF for years and 2 Mc before becoming pregnat with triplets (on clomid) losing one and I now have 2 healthy 2 month old babies......try not to stress I know easier said than done when you've had a loss but just keep in mind when you stress so do your babies.

5. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:wavey:

Welcome to Twinstuff and Congratulations on your twins! :Clap: :Clap: I don't remember exactly what the heartbeats were for my two at that time, but I know there were times when they quite different in their heartbeats. :hug: Was your doctor worried at all? If not, then I would say to try and not stress it too much. I know it's hard not to do that with your previous misscarriage. :hug: We look forward to getting to know you!

6. lromansky

lromansky Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your answers - makes me feel better!

No, my doctor didn't seem all that worried but I still am just because of my previous miscarriage. I really want both of these babies to make it.

My next ultrasound is on 10/14 at the 8 week mark... so I'm crossing my fingers both stay healthy!

I look forward to talking with all of you more!

Lisa

7. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

QUOTE(lromansky @ Oct 2 2008, 03:22 PM) [snapback]1008665[/snapback]
    My next ultrasound is on 10/14 at the 8 week mark... so I'm crossing my fingers both stay healthy!

Lisa, we'll all be crossing our fingers. :hug: :grouphug:

8. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your twins and welcome to TS! :Clap:

Due to your previous experience, I can understand your worry. On the bright side though, 6.5 weeks is sometimes too early to find a heartbeat at all. The fact that you have two already is wonderful :) I didn't have any early u/s with the twins but I did with my singletons and one had a heartbeat at 6 weeks and the other still didn't at 6 weeks 2 days. Both are perfectly healthy.

Congrats again!

9. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

With the twins I didn't have an u/s until I was closer to 9 weeks.

This pregnancy I had an early u/s because I was on the pill and not sure how far along I was. At 6.5 weeks, I was told the heartrate was "slow" but within normal at 117. Anything over a 100 at that point is good and as time goes by the heartrate will speed up and then as baby gets bigger it'll slow back down. I know it's hard not to worry, particularly with your history, but really, 114 sounds nice and good to me.

Hang in there and update after next appointment.

10. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Ali M @ Oct 2 2008, 02:47 PM) [snapback]1008703[/snapback]
    Congratulations on your twins and welcome to TS! :Clap:

Due to your previous experience, I can understand your worry.

Ditto!! I wish the best for you. Keep in mind that no matter what you do, the story has been told already... in other words, if you do end up with a singleton, it is nothing you did. :hug: (Not be a downer)

Welcome! Like the PP's have stated.. two heartbeats is awesome and very good news!

11. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

:wavey: Welcome to TS!!

Congrats on being pregnant!!

I do believe that at 6.5 weeks some don't believe some even have a heartbeat. I hope it all works out.

Please join us in the Pregnant after loss forum. Everyone there has had a M/C and is now pregnant.

12. jasonsmommy

jasonsmommy Well-Known Member

I have no advice about the hearbeat numbers, but CONGRATS! I know there is a ton of worry with any pregnancy, but try to relax.

I never heard the heartbeats at all until I was in the labor room hooked up to the machines.

I think there is a lot of worries around only hearing one when there is two.