6.5 month sleeping issues suddenly!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by twinmomlg, Feb 2, 2011.

1. twinmomlg

twinmomlg Member

My twins are 6.5 months old (5.5 months adjusted). DD was sleeping like a champ--11 straight hours--for awhile and now she is waking up twice at night to eat full (6 oz) bottles. She may go down at 7:30 pm, wake up at 1:30 am for a full bottle, then wake up again around 4:30 am for another bottle! Then, up at 7:30 am but won't eat until later. DS used to not sleep as well but this week, he's been sleeping 11 hours straight! They are only a 14.5 lbs so I don't want to deprive them of calories but I'm wondering if I should try CIO with her a bit in the middle of the night. We did it with DS since he wouldn't want to go to sleep and after two nights, he crashes as soon as we put him in his crib. I'm now a believer! So, do you think this is a growth spurt for DD or that she is now in the habit (but, she wasn't doing this a week ago). Thank you!!

2. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

It might be a growth spurt. Can you increase her food during the day? I found that cluster feeding really helped our boys with not needing to eat at night.

3. twinmomlg

twinmomlg Member

I've been trying to increase her calorie intake along with solids but she's never been a huge eater. I'm trying to get 25-30 oz per day with 2 solid feedings. But, I count the night feedings in that ounces count which isn't great.

How do you do cluster feedings? Do you wake them up or wait until they want it? I thought about waking her up last night before I went to bed but usually she won't eat if you wake her for it. Maybe I'll try and force the issue though.

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I fed them closer together during the day....for example, they could go four hours before they acted hungry, but I fed them at 3.5 hours. We did a dream feed around 9:30-10pm until they were about 8-9 months. We would wake them up and feed them, then put them right back down.

5. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with feeding her more during the day but at the same time it could be a habit since she wasn't doing before. I would let them do what they are doing for a couple weeks before trying to change anything bc if it is a growth spurt it shouldn't last too long but I would still try to push calories during the day. Mine were never big bottle drinkers and I always felt like we were forcing them to drink the minimum of what the ped recommended but I found I could sneak a scoop of formula into some baby foods that didn't seem to bother them....mostly fruits and I would count it as an extra 2oz of formula:)