37 weeks with a newly breech baby A

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by borgerfam, Jun 22, 2011.

1. borgerfam

borgerfam Well-Known Member

Well-
    my Baby A has been a wiggle worm surprise this entire pregnancy. She has been in every position possible and was finally head down at her 34 week ultrasound. We rejoiced. Sometime in the week after she began flipping again and yesterday at the 37 week ultrasound she presented breech. Breech with her head facing her transverse sister's. They are facing chin to chin, cheek "against" cheek. I suspected she wasn't head down and even had the midwife check me the week before at 36 weeks- which she said she thought she could feel a head, I was dilated 3cm, etc. I had major contractions Sunday and Sunday night and almost went in to the hospital- and by morning she was in this "new" position and the contractions had disappeared.

Her head floats sometimes up into my ribs.

I have had a lot of contractions and so forth- but since she really moved up with her head in my ribs- they have basically stopped.

I am so utterly discouraged.

She has kept us on our toes this whole pregnancy. She is routinely "lost" on the non-stress tests, she moves and wiggles so much and can't stand the belt on her.

I am sad and worried about a c-section for a variety of reasons. Also sad- just because I don't think I will go into labor any time soon with nothing "pressing" on my cervix. I am in for the super long haul and that is so hard too. I just keep going for twice a week nst's until week 39 and then we "talk" again and do an ultrasound and see where she is at, etc.

If I go into active labor- I go to the hospital and the decision is made then based on her position. Ugh.

Any encouragement?

I am worried about the epidural/spinal. I am HUGE. I cannot arch over my belly and I have a "difficult" back for these procedures as it is. I am way to embarrassed to post my weight on here- but suffice it to say it is definitely "heavy" and that worries me that they won't be able to do the anesthesia correctly, too.

Thx,
    Rebecca

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Oh, Rebecca, I'm sorry you're discouraged. I did have a c-section, so I can't offer any advice on going vaginal. I can tell you, though, that sometimes things just don't go as planned. I was under when my girls were born (the epidural didn't take) and I do sometimes feel sad that I don't have a traditional birth experience. You know what? It's okay! I have awesome girls who are healthy and happy. My body recovered from the surgery remarkably well. You can do this! No matter what ends up happening, your kids are going to be with you soon and it will all be worth it, I promise.

Hang in there!

3. ward

ward Well-Known Member

I think feeling this way is completely normal. I had a C-Section with my son because he never dropped into my pelvis he was actually stuck pretty good. I am also a heavy heavy set woman. yes i used heavy twice lol. At my hospital they did a spinal for the surgery which is better and stronger than an epidural. I know what you mean that it is hard to arch your back to get them good access. Just remember that they have trained for years and years and on all sorts of patients they are good at what they do. C-Sections really aren't as bad as people make them out to be (at least in my opinion). C-Sections are actually less stress on the babies and more on the mom. The recovery portion wasn't bad for me. I really didn't even need to take pain meds all that much but I did end up with nerve damage at the incesion site which is normal, which basically numbed that area =) I know having surgery is scary but if you have to do it you will pull through you sound like a strong woman and things will turn out the way they are supposed to. Good Luck and let us know how things go. =)

1 person likes this.
  4. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a little spitfire!!! That is how my baby B was and she still keeps us on our toes at 4 years old LOL!!! I agree that your feelings on the subject are totally normal. I had a c section with my twins and am having to have another with this little guy. When I think about it the thing I worry about the most is the spinal, but the spinal is actually the thing I remember the least about my first c section!!! Also you may feel huge but the hospital deals with people in all shapes and sizes all day everyday. They will get you comfortable don't worry about that. I hope your sweet little active girlie decides that she would rather be head down but either way just wait till you see those little faces! Suddenly all of this worry will go out the window!!, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I had a section with my twins because of breech baby A and transverse baby B. It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. I was really fast and honestly once you hear that first cry, everything else takes a back seat.

6. borgerfam

Thank you all so much.

SebastianMommy- you are always so affirming. I appreciate it! :)

Everyone wrote such helpful things.
    Thank you for saying that it is normal to feel this way. Everything is looming SO LARGE right now- especially me!!!

I know it is a small thing in light of much harder things people go through.

I will say- my fear stems from my prior experience with my three year old and his epidural here where we live. So- it is a legitimate concern.

I will get through it. I will!

Also- I am so so tired. Is this normal? I feel like I need three naps a day at this point.

I am so thankful to be full term. I was so careful to hold off labor- keeping track of any little sign and lying low- to keep them in- and now that it is "time" and we should be ready to go... nothing. And that is hard too.

Rebecca

7. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Can you ask for a consult with an anesthesiologist to go over your anesthesia concerns? And make sure your prior anesthesia records are available to whoever is doing the epidural/spinal this time so they can know what the prior problems were.

1 person likes this.
  8. borgerfam

I deleted my original response- just seemed TMI! :)

I will talk to my doctor about the benefits of a consult tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rebecca

9. ward

ward Well-Known Member

feeling tired is normal too. I had the same worry. I am only at 30 weeks but the being tired really started around 20 weeks lol and i take 1-2 naps a day and usually still feel pretty tired.

10. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

3 naps, 2 baths. Whatever gets you through. ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

How much walking are you allowed to do? I'm not sure for pregnancy with twins (I'm only 7 wks along), but with my first, she was transverse at 35 weeks, and they told me to walk walk walk as much as possible. Something to do with gravity and all the jostling helps turn the heavy head upside down. Of course ask your doctor, but maybe that would help?

I definitely feel your anxiety about the C-Section. I am TERRIFIED of C's and TERRIFIED that these twins will land me a C. I don't know if that makes you feel better, but I am definitely with you!

12. Lindala25

Lindala25 Well-Known Member

My baby B still flipped from 37 to 38 weeks... he seemed to flip back and forth every other ultrasound. So she may flip back. I do lumbar punctures in my job which is aiming for the same space as an epidural for a csf sample and I can attest that it can be harder on larger patients, however it really does depend on how they carry their weight and their internal anatomy. I have been surprised before that people that look like they would be a very hard LP end up being easy or people skinny as a rail end up being extremely difficult due to degenerative changes in their spine or something. Also anesthesiologists are accustomed to doing epidural's on pregnant patients and no pregnant woman curls over well. You most likely won't have the exact same person doing your spinal/epidural so hopefully they will get it. Also, your back may not be as difficult to get as you think, perhaps it was just that person on that particular day. I wouldn't give up hope!

13. borgerfam

I have no restrictions on my activity. I can walk as much as I want- but I can barely stand it- it hurts so much.
    Thanks for the tip.

Rebecca

14. borgerfam

I am so "not into" this ability of twins to keep flipping this far into pregnancy!!! My baby is definitely still flipping- but it is a day by day thing as to where she is! At the end of this pg- I am finding it so frustrating. :( Thank you for the info. I am scared- but generally- nurse-tech's do the epidural's here where I live and you have to specifically request the dr. if you want/need him. I have had six epidurals. Five were in the northeast where I used to live and they were perfect- all though difficult for the dr. (only dr's did them at that hospital.) The sixth one I had here in the southeast and it was not done by a doctor and I had a couple of complications, etc. That tech did say I have very small bones in my back which is what makes it so challenging to find the right spot. :( I am so unhappy. I had told myself that if we had another baby here- I would go pain-med- free- but I wasn't expecting twins and my dr. wants the epidural as a safety precaution. I have to request the doctor- which means- if it is night- they have to be called out of bed.(which also means that I could be given a hard time about it and that might not go well either..) I am also my largest due to carrying the twins and so I am (rightly- I take it) scared and concerned. I am also really worried that they won't be able to do it right and I will have to go under general anesthesia- which I DO NOT WANT TO DO. Blek.

Thank you for the words to not give up hope! You are right that I will very most likely not have the same person. I just have to make sure I don't have a trainee or a tech and that I get the doctor and that they don't have a bad attitude about it.

Thanks again,
    Appreciate your experience,
    Rebecca